Phonak Marvel M90-RT shutting off in cold weather

I think the batteries we use are Zinc air. Someone made a great point that behind the ear is a pretty toasty spot…adding to the mystery. Maybe it’s the sudden change. But the replacement aid doesn’t do it which makes me think it is a manufacturing defect. Thanks everyone for your ideas!

My son has the Sky Marvel 70SP with the replaceable (13) zinc air batteries and we’ve experienced something very similar with his aids in the cold. Sent one to Phonak for repair, they replaced it, and it hasn’t happened again on that ear, though the other one continues to do it! Manufacturing defect?

Batteries are indeed zinc air, however topic is mostly about R models, R means rechargeable, and that’s lithium one then.

So full name of your son’s aid is phonak sky M70-13
SP is receiver, that’s not part of the name.
If he has telecoil, then name is ‘phonak sky M70-13T’

Mine are ‘phonak audeo M90-13T’ for example :slight_smile:
Manufacturer, model, platform, tech level, battery, tcoil

In case you wanted to understand those :slight_smile:

Not quite, the Sky are BTE, they don’t use receivers, they use earhook or slim tubes.

1 Like

Yes I agree. I find too much WindBlock, NoiseBlock or even SoundRelax lowers the quality of sound.

My marvel 70R are close to 2 years old now. It’s never happened to me until this morning.

9 degrees here for my daily hike. Ear muffs over the hearing aids. Knit hat on my head.

I was streaming music for about 10-15 minutes while hiking and needed to adjust the ear muffs. Pulled it off my head & my right hearing aid suddenly disconnected from bluetooth and shut off. Nothing I did would turn it on.

The left one stayed on, but wouldn’t connect to bluetooth.

Once I got home, I put it in the charger and it showed green lights. Pulled it out of the charger and it’s fine.

Seems like a sudden burst of cold air triggered it.

I’ll talk to my audiologist on Monday about it.

Update- I spoke to my audiologist about the issue. She felt that it was an extreme cold weather related issue and nothing to be concerned about.

After 2 weeks, there hasn’t been a recurrence until last night.

While watching TV, the hearing aid would turn itself off whenever I turned my head or shook my head. There was no sound for disconnection or shut off.

I was able to turn it back on without putting it in the charger.

This morning, it wouldn’t turn on at all. It took several times inserting it in the charger to get it to finally turn on. But wiggling the receiver wire would cause it to turn off again.

Got in touch with my audiologist this morning. We went through some tests and decided that the receiver wire was at fault. A 5 minute appointment & I’m back in business again.

Fingers crossed that that was the issue.

Dave