Phonak Marvel M30 vs M50 vs M70 vs M90

Looking at the Hearing Store’s website there is about a $400 price difference with each step up from the M30. The M70 and M90 have an extra year (3 years) on the warranty and loss/damage.

Looking for my mother who uses an iPhone. So she doesn’t need the DuoPhone. I’m not sure what the SNR Boost is and how much it is needed. Is this worth the $400 price difference?

Going to the M70 you get sound relax and wind block. For $800 on top of what you’d pay for the M30 ($2,600 for both ears).

Do you typically go with the highest end you can afford? Are there other differences the website isn’t pointing out?

1 Like

I find SoundRelax to be very helpful with painful sounds.

I find WindBlock to be pretty useless.

1 Like

Do you think it is worth the added $800?

1 Like

I went with the top M90 but I can afford it and I didn’t want to have any buyer’s remorse later. My thinking is I’m most likely keeping these for four or more years so the price differential isn’t really meaningful for me. Obviously I don’t know your mother’s financial situation but if she can afford it I would recommend she go with the better option.

1 Like

I suspect that very few people will appreciate the move from M70 to M90; I know I didn’t…

1 Like

I’m also retired but I spend more time now in noisy environments then I ever did when I was working!! LOL

1 Like

Was there anything in particular that was a benefit when going with the M70 over the M50 or M30? An extra year warranty would be nice with the M70 to cover the rechargeable batteries.

Finished a two week trial of M90Rs and am now a week into using the M50Rs that I intend to keep. Any differences I notice are positive.
The MUSIC program kept cutting in and our at my ukulele club jams on the 90s when someone nearby sang loudly. Now that its manualy selected it locks in.
The Autosense program has fewer options and is thus more stable with less noticible adjustments.

There is very credible research to suggest that except in severe or speciaized cases most people will never notice the difference.

I saved $1300 and get the benefits of state of the (as yet buggy) art technology for a few hundred more than the Brio 3s. The streaming is the same in the various models and is superb.

1 Like

You can also have the Music program as one of your three manual programs with the M90 but the key differences for me with the M50 vs M90 are 1) you lose the Speech In Loud Noise capability either in manual mode or as part of the AutoSense 3.0. I use this program manually quite often when I’m in a noisy restaurant and it really helps, especially since I had my audiologist adjust the manual program to block even more external background noise and 2) the M50 only has 12 fine tuning channels for the audiologist to use whereas the M90 has 20 fine tuning channels. According to Dr Cliff Olson this is very important because it allows the audiologist to do a much better job using REM to get the Marvels to match your prescription. There are some other programs you also lose. Again, if the money is a big factor then you have to go with what you (your mother) can afford.

I bought the M70 312 Marvels. Comparing specs I came to that conclusion, the difference between 50 and 70 is significant at least for me with severe hearing loss. The difference with the 90 performance didn’t seem to worth the cost for me.

1 Like

Go to Dr. Cliffs Olsens Google post on always recommending premium technology and especially the comments where he gets handed his hat by other Audis because of his dogmatic approach. He agreed with them when challenged. Wuss.

Additional research cited by one commenting Audi suggests that more than 8 channels are redundant. IMO the 50s 12 channels are more than enuf for unexceptional hearing loss.

The 50s optional programs can be set to mimic loud noise progams etc by your Audi but If your willing to pay for more fart filters, go for it.

2 Likes

One way to id which tech level fits you is to try out the M90 for a few weeks. Then the audi can look at the statistics to see which modes in Autosense was used during your trial period.
In my case it was Speech in Noise, Calm Situation and Speech in Car. I also use the HAs extensivly for phone calls.
Going to trial the M50 soon to see if I notice any difference. Considering the above I won’t notice much difference.
Regarding the number of channels, I’ve read tests that states that more than 12 channels is overkill and may (in theory atleast) shorten your battery life as the HAs are working harder calculating the excessive bands.
Btw, as the Marvels use standard bluetooth you can use the Resound Relief app if you want soothing sounds and white noise.

1 Like

To add, it is my fully belief after recently trying Resound, Widex and now Phonak over a period of several months, that the single most important feature is the basic sound of the HA.
My perception with Resound and Widex was that they amplified the surronding sounds while the Phonak amplified my hearing, flattening out my slope. My guess is that the reason we debate a HA over the other is due to our individual sound perception. Phonak basic sound fits me perfect. I also prefer the HA to chose the right program for me (instead of me having to switch programs all the time) so the Autosense is golden!

4 Likes

I personally would go for the M50 if I was getting new HAs soon. Since 2011, I’ve had the low end Phonak Naidas and bear just as well in Noise then I do with my top of the range Phonak Naidas. I got my Phonak Naida (Brio) only for the Speech In Wind feature as I go sailing. Yes I wear my HAs on the water.

2 Likes

I would probably agree as far as technology level the M50 would probably be fine for her. The major difference between the M50 and M70 would be the one year increase on warranty & loss and damage. With the new type of batteries having an extra year coverage might be beneficial. We’d have to ask the manufacturer when batteries are covered under the warranty. I know iPhones typically have to have at least be below 80% health to get them replaced under warranty. There are just no data points on how long the health of these batteries last.

I doubt whether there is any hardware difference between MXX models. Possibly all about is software blocking of particular features/modes for lower models. If so. this would be nice if Phonak allow users to paid software upgrade for rational price. Then we would not need to make our choices forever.

2 Likes

There is no hardware difference; it’s all in the firmware/software. That’s how the Trial hearing aids work…

1 Like

Just wanted to give everyone an updated. My mother decided on the M30. The audiologist days later contacted us saying they would price match the Hearing Store’s price, provide four follow up visits, extend the warranty from two years to three years, and also provide the lost/damage protection by another year. They did require that for that price we pay $200-300 for the initial testing and something else that I can’t remember. They also provided 18 months interest free financing. Overall she was very happy with the price and the M30. It may be that audiologists are facing a bit of a battle now that you have online retailers and Costco as competition.

Really appreciate all your input and the time you’ve given to respond. I think it is fantastic that there is a community on here willing to help educate others to make the best informed decision as these things are not cheap! Thanks for your input!!

1 Like

Glad you found a HA you’re mother wanted. Couple facts though. A three year warranty is standard with any Phonak HA you buy. You are being played with a suggested two year warranty. Also everyone provides lost/damage protection for two - three years free.

This is based off of the Hearing Store’s website (Phonak Audeo Marvel Hearing Aids, from $1399). It lists the M30 as 2 years warranty and lost & damage on their website.