Phonak Marvel Feedback Management

I’ve generally heard very positive things about Phonak’s feedback management. I’m less impressed with my experience, especially with the feedback test that is run. In my experience it knocks the heck out of the high frequencies. When I was fitted, I declined to let them implement the changes the feedback test recommended. I switched to bigger domes and it wasn’t a problem. My Mom was recently fitted with new hearing aid and again the test recommended cutting the highs. Is this consistent with others experiences?

I would think it would depend on the hearing loss…

I agree with you. I have deleted my feedback test as it cut the gain in the highs.

It was even worse when I tried domes.

1 Like

I might be the odd ball in this thread. Using Sound Recover aggressively might throw this thinking off but my thoughts are how the acoustics are set up could really affect this tuning. Loose domes/molds will play havoc with high frequency gains due to feedback settings.

Another important thing about Feedback Manager/Real Ear test is it plays a big part in how well the phone Bluetooth functions. Most phone issues are due to these tests not being ran properly.

Do you run the Feedback Manager before or after activating Sound Recover?

Before.
The first thing is establishing what aids and acoustics ( type domes, vents etc) being used. Then the feedback/real ear tests are done.
Now Target is on a level field to establish a prescription based on the audiogram.

I would think the feedback manager would knock the heck out of your highs on your left ear unless your mold is completely occlusive. I can see where your right ear wouldn’t matter in that you try to get gain to the highs for that ear.

Phonak’s feedback test is all new to me and one has to wonder why an Audi would recommend it, if in fact it knocks out high frequency listening advantages, especially if the user user has a “high frequency hearing loss”?

Dumb question - but why not fit someone with what ever Phonak hearing aid without the feedback management test. If there is no feedback or distortion forget the test. Simple.
Then again if there are some signs of distortion during first fitting or trial period - then do feedback management test. Why “dumb” down a hearing aid if it doesn’t need to be done in the first place?

If you put a hat, you’ll get whistling, which makes your HAs unusable. Had that with widex and tulip (semi open) domes.

Mold with 1mm hole with phonak marvel, no feedback even if I put my hand on the ear.

Open domes, hand will cause squeal but hat won’t.

So if you’re DIYing and you know how you wear them, then it’s perfectly fine to adjust to your lifestyle.

Fitters have to fit HAs for various situations you can come into, I’d say they don’t think about it unless you express your issues. However you can also better describe what you don’t have issue with. Once you realise that.

I asked mine about purpose of feedback test and he said that depending on loss and gain needed, it could happen that HAs start squealing, without any close cover.

My overall take of this is that Phonak seems to be trying to idiot proof the fitting process and in doing so is promoting a lot of inadequate fits. I think way too little attention is paid to picking out proper size and vent of dome or mold. One needs to take into consideration that there’s multiple compromises going on. Open fit produces more “natural” sound for those with good low frequency hearing while promoting feedback if one tries to get significant gain to the highs. Using feedback manager may control feedback very well, but may greatly reduce highs. To me this suggests that fitting should be more an iterative process instead of expecting to follow a flow chart. For example: Feedback manager wants to cut out a lot of the highs. Maybe try a bigger dome or less vented one or maybe even try custom mold. Discuss how much feedback user is willing to tolerate. I think it really takes a fitter who is willing to work with you to reach an optimal solution.

1 Like

Not only phonak.

But you’re right, I’ve read an article about molds and vents and how today rules from old times still apply, but fitters aren’t trained in them or don’t care, but rely on manufacturers guesses about acoustic of each ear canal, in order to give passable and sell fast.