Phonak Lumity vs Oticon More

I don’t think you will be blown away with the difference between the Marvel and More aids. When I tried the Marvels I didn’t like what I called a closed in hearing experience that I had, I love the Oticon sound and what I call surround sound that I get with the More1 aids. And l love not having feedback with my aids and custom ear molds. And I love not having wind noise when I ride my Vespa scooter. But the fact that I finally have so much better speech understanding is my wow.

1 Like

Curious if you think the better speech understanding is the aids or working with the audiologist to truly understand that your loss is outside the frequencies typically tested on the audiogram.

1 Like

Both, I have improved my speech understanding. With my aids I have been able to get scores in the 90 percent range on the LACE program this time. The last time was back with the Oticon Alta Pro aids and my score was in the high 70s low 80s with aids. Now I have had 2 years of speech therapy in between the two times of taking the program. Some of the important is the therapy, but the rest is the fine tuning of the aids to offset the weird frequency issues that I have.

7 Likes

I have the Marvels. I don’t connect to my computer, but I connect to my Android phone. It is the main reason I went with Phonak to begin with. At the time they were the only platform that worked with the Android. Any feedback on how the BT is for the Oticon since they added Android connectivity?

1 Like

I got my first pair sometime in the 90’s. They were prehistoric compared to today’s technology! :sauropod:

2 Likes

I know exactly what you mean! I have the Phonak TV connector, which I LOVE! I’m going to try the Oticon when I can get my hands on the loaner and weigh all the costs and options. In the end, cost will only come into play if one of them is far superior to the other.

Hello. I’ve worn hearing aids since the 90’s. My first and second were Starkeys, followed by 2 pairs of Siemens. My current pair is Phonak. So far my brain hasn’t had any problems adjusting to different manufacturers. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Yep. Three different manufacturers, and every time I’m able to hear better!

2 Likes

Because I was “blown away” by my current pair (Phonak Marvels) when I got them. I could hear what my husband was saying to me from another room. I could hear the signal from my washing machine. It is a chime. I had never heard it before, and didn’t even know the washing machine had a signal. The TV connector allowed me to listen to the television with Dolby sound. I could occassionally hear the birds chirping outdoors. These are a few of my “mind blowing” moments. I hope I’m able to hear better in loud environments. If I am, THAT would be mind blowing. A girl can hope.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing those experiences! I have profound hearing loss (I’m going to add my audiogram when I get my hands on it). Interesting comment about your custom ear molds. I had always had custom ear molds. I moved to a different state and got a new audiologist. When he fitted me with the Phonaks, he didn’t fit me with custom molds. Boy was I skeptical! But lo and behold, the vented domes work for me and are more comfortable. My Marvels are the first hearing aid that I haven’t had annoying wind noise. I totally understand that! I also had better speech understanding with these. Better speech understanding is a HUGE WOW! I can’t wait to try the More 1 aids and compare. I’m anxiously waiting for a loaner pair to come back in.

1 Like

I definitely think it the better speech understanding comes from the aids. They did things I didn’t think were possible, like supressing background noise and focusing on the sound in front of me.

@jonifoz: Yes, but that’s going from a “nothing to something” situation to a “something to something better” scenario. Do you really expect the incremental improvement in the second scenario to equal the first in its impact? Really??

I mean, that’s just not a reasonable expectation for a girl to have, is it?

3 Likes

I don’t have any experience with Oticon and Bluetooth. Currently it would need to be an ASHA compatible phone. Sometime in the forseeable future LE Audio should become avaiable which should be more of a universal BT system, but I have no idea how soon.

Depends on the phone make & model. Unfortunately Oticons web site is not very up to date on android ASHA capable phones, so you’ll have to do some checking.

Even with ASHA, you will not get hands free calling, and if you need to connect to a computer or use hands free, you’ll require the ConnectClip device.

Oticon’s paradigm is far different from Phonak regarding sound processing. They use a more öpen approach". They do not supress background sounds.

This is from their propaganda sheet:
Building upon our BrainHearing™ philosophy, all of our solutions are designed to provide access to the full sound scene which allows the brain to work in a more natural way

Oh yes they can suppress background noise and wind noise but I believe that without ear molds it isn’t go to do as well. I have very little issues in noisy environments, restaurants, road noise, wind noise, are no issue for me.

2 Likes

Jonifoz, I currently wear Oticon miniRITE R and am feeling the need to upgrade. I read through this thread and wondered what you decided and if you’re happy with your decision.

1 Like

@jonifoz Any feedback on your choice?
Thx

Hi @John_R and @Baltazard ! I have now had my Lumity 90s for over a year, and have been 100% satisfied with them. I originally chose them for speech in noise. That was the one thing I had trouble with the most. I can now hear speech in very noisy surroundings with very little to no problem. In fact, my husband, who has normal hearing, asks me to repeat myself because HE can’t hear with all the noise!

In addition, I immediately noticed sounds I hadn’t heard in years–birdsong, clocks ticking, the timer going off on the microwave, etc.

I’d like to add that although these hearing aids have worked beautifully for me, they may not for everyone. Also, and I feel this is the MOST important thing–they must be programmed correctly. I think the reason some people can’t hear well with their hearing aids is because they aren’t programmed correctly. There was one small issue with these when I first got them. I went back to my audi and all it took was a minor tweak to correct the problem.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I’ll be happy to share my experience!

5 Likes

@jonifoz Thank you very much.
And how did your Oticon More trial went and why you haven’t chosen them over the Lumity?
Thank you

And thank you to @John_R for reviving this thread :+1:t3:

Honestly, I hated the Oticon More. I had trouble even hearing normal sounds and conversation with them. It’s not the first time I’ve had an Oticon trial. I had an Oticon trial before I decided on the Phonak Marvel, my previous hearing aids. I don’t remember which Oticon model they were, but it was the same situation. They just don’t work for me.

I loved my Phonak Marvels (which I had previous to Lumity), too, when I got them. My audi offers a 30-day trial of any hearing aid you’re thinking of buying. Plus, my insurance was changing its hearing aid policy and I would benefit from buying aids last year. I had heard about the speech in noise improvements in the Lumity. I tried them for 30 days and was amazed. They were like my Phonak Marvels on steroids! I kept them, and have not regretted my decision.

3 Likes