Phonak Lumity 90 vs ReSound Nexia 9 vs Oticon Intent 1 - why I chose Oticon

I am using iPhone 15. My children asked me fix the microphone. The iPhone has the option to switch from using the HA microphone to the microphone in the iPhone. Now the audio is perfect, they say.
The iPhone default setting is to use the HA microphone. I am wearing the iPhone in a breast pocket with the microphone upwards.
In my opinion it is a bad idea to use a bad microphone behind the ears. When one have a good microphone in the mobile phone.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’;ll look into this and see if I can try this on the Intents.

how exactly did you do this? do you know if this also works with the iphone SE 2022? I have oticon reals and would like to turn off the handsfree function, that is I would like to use the iphone microphone instead of the hearing aid microphones for phone calls (but still hear the sound in my hearing aids). kind regards, oliver

I have forgot how i did. Better google.
One start with settings. Then Hearing aid. Under MFI Hearing aids I tripple click the side button. Here I find Microphone input. Default setting is On. Switch it to Off.

Found it - thank you!

I’ve had my Resound Omnia 9’s (very similar to the Nexia) for almost a year now and find them to be very comfortable. They have great speech recognition as well. Though it took me a couple of months of self programming to get them right.

The main reason that I chose Resound is that they still offer aids that use disposable batteries.

I get nine to ten days on 312 batteries. Rechargeable aids to me seem like more trouble than it’s worth. And those rechargeable batteries lose a little bit of capacity every time you recharge them.

4 Likes

I was very wary of rechargeables as my neighbour got some about 18 months ago and had nothing but trouble. My audi convinced me to try them and the Oticon Intents are fantastic and I wouldn’t go back to batteries now.

Same here. So impressed with the battery life of the Intents and it’s refreshing not having to change the batteries every 2 days.

1 Like

Like I said above, I get nine to ten days out of set of 312 batteries. Either change the batteries every week or so, or fiddle with a charger every day or so.

1 Like

@william50 → that’s pretty phenomenal to get 9 to 10 days out of a set of 312 batteries for modern hearing aids nowadays. How much do you stream with them?

1 Like

There’s no fiddling with a charger for me. At the end of every day I take my HAs out and place them in the charger instead of the case that I used to put my battery ReSounds in. And I don’t ever have the problem of the batteries going flat while I am out and about.

Like I said, I was unconvinced about rechargeables but I much prefer them now.

2 Likes

I don’t stream with them,

They are hearing aids. Everything other function is a gimmick.

They have a speaker that’s approximately 2mm in diameter. The audio is reminiscent of those single in-ear earpieces that came with transistor radios years ago.

If I want to listen to music, etc., I put on over-the-ear headphones that fit over my hearing aids to get full fidelity (at least as much fidelity that my hearing loss will allow).

1 Like

OK, no wonder you get 9 to 10 days out of your 312 batteries.

On bad days I think I’ve gone down a rabbit hole with my Paradise P90Rs.

On good days I think they’ll be better yet when I get new hearing aids. I think the Lumity hearing aids with replaceable batteries would be a step up for me from my Paradise P90Rs.

Bidirectional audio is still not good with Intent? If Airpods and other earbuds can do this well one would think hearing aids could too. Are any hearing aids better for this use case?

I find this interesting. First your asking a speaker maybe an 1/8 of the size to do the same as the bigger speaker. 2nd as a user I have found a few tweaks make the music program very good. Maybe I’m not an aficionado of music but other than maybe less low freq’s. the sound quality is very good. Low freq’s are larger wave and need larger speakers to be able to produce what you get with your earbuds or headset. If you want better sound from your intents get ahold of your provider. and ask that it be changes to what your asking for.
And lastly for all of us. Hearing aids are just that they are aids that are doing so much more than they ever have in the past and continue to get better and better. Try some old analogs then find out just how luck we are to have the great work we have now. And that goes for any brand. Each has something that works differently and where one might not be liked another is. But remember the big focus of these are all the same better speech understanding in more environments as well.
Sorry if I got carried away but I’ve been doing this for over 35 yrs. And can not believe how far weve come

1 Like

@OldMusicGuy - Interesting write up, and thanks for sharing. I am using Phonak Lumity with Autosense 5.0 which is an improvement over my previous Marvel 70s with Autosense 3.0

16 months ago I had a trial of Oticon More HAs. While sound for speech, streaming music and TV were improved, the bluetooth connection with my Samsung android phone was horrible. The work around was to bluetooth the connect clip to my phone, then connect the HAs to the Connect clip. That was also a disaster. Several phone calls with Oticon tech support didn’t resolve anything and they finally admitted there is an issue with there HAs and android phones. I am aware that Oticon uses Bluetooth Low Energy and only a few of Samsung phones support BLE. I’ve read on other platforms of users having bluetooth issues between the HAs and android phones. I was more than willing to give Oticon a try, so it will be Phonak going forward.

1 Like

The ConnectClip reliability for the More and Real is a well known issue that has been fixed with firmware updates for both. If you search this forum, you’ll find several threads that covered this.

ASHA connection to Android phones is still at its infancy with lots of kinks to work out as well, because the devices including the phones don’t necessarily follow the protocol to the letter yet. Unfortunately, it looks like the ASHA connection will be replace with the new BT LE Audio protocol that is now available on the Oticon Intent. So BT LE Audio is the new way forward now.

1 Like

I thought I would give an update here as I have been wearing the Oticon Intents for some time now and have also been busy with Noahlink tweaking the MyMusic program over several weeks. I have been able to get the MyMusic program into a very good place for listening to music. I tweaked the Fitting so that the compression ratio was linear across all frequencies and gradually worked from there until I got a set up that I liked. This involved sitting in front of studio monitors playing reference tracks that I have used for many, many years until the sound was what I wanted.

Interestingly I did introduce some light compression between soft and moderate sounds (no CR above 2.0 though) mainly in the higher frequencies as I found the sound a bit unpleasant with no compression across all frequencies. I also have great streaming quality through BT LE, although FYI I found (for me) that having power bass on the low setting is preferable for streaming.

I have been pretty happy with General and SiN programs but I am gradually doing some playing with the easy/difficult settings and the NNS settings.

The ability to do DIY programming, supported by an audiologist who gives advice on the DIY side of things, has made a huge difference to my HA experience. FWIW I have also taught my audi a few things (for example, he was unaware of the power bass capability).

4 Likes