Phonak Lumirty 90

I have a four year old pair of Phonak Marvel M90 and just wondered if there would be any benefit in changing to Phonak Lumity 90 with speechsensor or whether to wait another couple of years to see if there are other technology advances. My current hearing aids work satisfactorily at moment.

1 Like

@Radancer

I have Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s. 2 years now. The audi did a terrible job setting them up and I couldn’t hear. He’s a gentleman. Had me convinced that he was doing things right.

Turns out a hearing aid practitioner set them up using Target’s quick fit. No REM. And I can hear!

So…my thought is who is going to set them up for you? mine were ear sound stoppers not hearing aids.

Another thought…have you had your hearing checked recently? Were your hearing aids set up again? There are always going to be new models of hearing aids coming.

DaveL
toronto

2 Likes

I am in the UK so things might be sligthly different than Canada. We have what is known as the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK where hearing aids, hearing tests etc are free to the user which is probably the best system in the word for people of a certain means . Downside is because it is free the NHS cannot offer top of the range hearing aids but will be certainly more than adequate. I can afford to go to a private audiologist where I have to pay top bucks for my hearing aids and hearing test if I want top of the range units. However before I go to a private audiologist I do my research to ensure they have served there time in the NHS which is possibly the best training to a very high standard you can get. I am going for a hearing test tomorrow hence my original question as the Phonak Lumity p90 currently as far as I know their top of the range.

2 Likes

If what you’ve got is working, I’d wait. Over the next few years, things will be transitioning to LE Audio and Auracast. Lumitys will not have access to that technology.

2 Likes

Depends on your circumstances, your level of hearing loss, and ultimately where you live in the UK @Radancer… Tis quite literally a postcode lottery, as to what level of hearing aid you will get via the NHS? I agree wholeheartedly, NHS A.uD’s are highly skilled, perhaps due to the sheer volume of clients they see & the amount of training they get… The NHS now do REM, (in certain audiology departments) a massive improvement in their level of hearing care. Some NHS A.uD’s will buy in aids, that are, “Not In Catalog”, probably mostly for paediatrics, but in certain other instances, when they can justify the extra costs, especially if they are dealing with a profound loss… Nowadays, I like to buy my own, I am a bit of a Techie, I like all the bells & whistles, I prefer to have the latest & greatest, unfortunately that means buying your own, which is fine in my book… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Great to hear about REM making it’s way over there. My Mum’s last hearing aids were mailed to her a year or so ago!

Also love the techy bells and whistles, very fortunate to have health insurance here that pays for it!

1 Like

I’m wanting to get the L90 from the M70 and P70 but more for the Echo feature.

Until your post. Never heard of Speech Sensor. I find Speech in Loud Noise way to quiet in terms of hearing speech so feel I’ll find Speech Sensor too quiet as well. All down to the Narrow Beam for me, I feel.

3 Likes

Thanks I was kind of thinking on that wavelength.

I am considering adding an accesory like Phonak Partner mic or Roger Select Roger ON etc as a stop gap measure.

Speech Sensor is not Speech in Loud Noise or Speech 360. Not totally up to date with the tech but it allegedly allows you to hear to the right and left and behind and filters out background noise that is amplified in previous hearing aids. Probably got that wrong but something like that .

3 Likes

PartnerMic is a lot less expensive (especially on EBay (less than $100 US) and works great for one on one conversations. For group conversations, the Roger Select or On is much better, but a lot more money (and somewhat more complicated)

1 Like

I just mentioned that very thing to my previous audi. I was on a trip across the country, in his town, stopped by for a visit and asked his opinion on that very topic. He said that a Phonak rep (of 40 years, also an engineer) told him the problem is that Dynamic Noise is set too aggressively.

As a result of that advice, my prior audi now sets up new Phonaks with the Dynamic Noise dialed way down, allowing more volume? In any case, I hope to bring this up when I get in to see my new audi in a couple weeks.

For now, if I have my Lumity Life L90s in the dedicated “Speech in LOUD Noise” program, I have to jack up the volume at least two steps, cuz that setting simply turns down ALL volume way too low. Background noise and the person speaking right at me are too soft to hear.

3 Likes

If you are talking about the Phonak Lumity Life L-90, I’d say GO FOR IT NOW! I replaced my old Phonak Marvel M90 aids with this model a year ago. The speech clarity improvement actually grows on you! Initially, I felt like I could hear maybe 12% better? But after a year’s use, I’d say the clarity feature improves my comprehension close to 20% more.

The reason is confidence! You train your brain to distinguish speech over time, and instead of doubting you heard correctly, you’ll end up telling others what’s been said on occasion! I love that. It has completely transformed my life to have confidence in what I’m hearing.

I’m not saying I hear rapid-fire speech or the TV 100%, but my comprehension is significantly and noticeably better with the L-90s over the older Marvels. If the NIH offers these, I’d jump for 'em.

2 Likes

I turn my volume up all the way and it’s still too quiet. I hear better in Calm Program.

Even with all features off like NoiseBlock and it’s still too quiet with volume up.

1 Like

I never heard of Speech Sensor either. Is it something the Audi can turn on or off , as like an automatic program?

1 Like

No its built into the the programme so you cant turn it off or make your own adjustments like in the Phonak App. Probably if you google Phonak Lumity L90 that will give you a more detailed description.

1 Like

Yep, I’m with ya! I’ll be talking to my audi about this on Friday the 13th… and I’m hoping I didn’t jinx things going in on that date…

3 Likes

@Radancer

Adjustments can be made in all programmes in the Target software.

1 Like

Speechsensor is not a programme it is an algorithm which runs in the background unlike stereo zoom etc.etc. as an example which can be altered on the Phonak App by the user. It is not adjustable in Target as far as I know unless you know something I dont. I was answering the ladies question in a simple manner as I doubt she has access to Target and I rightly or wrongly assumed she was referring to the Phonak App. If you let me know where it is located and accessed in Target I will investigate but I would pose the question why would anyone want to alter it even if you could.

Sorry @Radancer , I have paradise HA’s which, as far as I know, don’t have the feature. I, sadly, made an assumption that it was a selectable programme, rather like “Comfort in Echo” in Paradise, where “Echoblock” is adjustable in Target.
Peter

1 Like