Phonak Life aids for water sports enthusiasts ... NOT!

I’ll grant that ocean water and pool water are far from identical, but regarding electrical components, I think they’re probably close enough. They’re both going to have ions that wouild crystalize out on electrical components as they dried. Pool water at minimum will have calcium and chlorine ions.

1 Like

The funny thing about this discussion is that I’ve spent quite a bit of time looking for some kind of solution to the problem of being able to hear while swimming in the pool and ocean. We have a place in Florida and it’s such a pain not being able to talk to people in the pool and at the beach. I personally think the best solution would be a cheap pair of rechargeable waterproof bluetooth earbuds with sound pass through capabilities (like the AirPods) and the ability to apply amplification against a hearing loss profile. There seem to be lots of waterproof earbuds on Amazon, etc but not really sure if they are designed for swimming.

Jordan

3 Likes

I only bob at the surface - even when snorkeling - no diving, no jumping off an edge, so my head literally is never completely submerged.

1 Like

I would LOVE that definition if it was true. And I was good about rinsing these aids after the pool. If an aid fails for HOURS like my left one did, it’s not even “waterproof”.

2 Likes

Oh that’s really not good.

1 Like

@Zebras , @1Bluejay: Thats what the sharks are looking for…

[ … just a wee Bob at the surface! Yum!]

3 Likes

HA! HA! I’d be a SOUR apple to those poor sharks! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

SPOT ON!!! That’s where I am right now - off to the FL Keys for a week tomorrow. I guess after 30+ years with cinderblock ears, I’m okay with getting in the water with NO aids for snorkeling, swimming with dolphins, or short periods of time. But what about day-long jet-ski or kayak tours? Not a whole lotta fun listening to DEAD SILENCE hour after hour. To say nothing of the safety issues (LOOKOUT! SHARK AT 6 O’CLOCK!").

Oh noo, not FL:

TOTALLY agree with you. Moisture removal (i.e., through the ReDux) is great, but the destructive residue from pools or ocean are just going to layer up over time.

PHONAK: Are you reading this? Ah, never mind. I’ll just take my new “waterproof” Life aids OUT and swim with cinderblock ears ON, thank you. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

@1Bluejay: Save your breath! Nothing is more tone deaf than a hearing aid manufacturer!

3 Likes

No way can an hearing aid be totally waterproof. Water resistant yes but not waterproof. I won’t risk a pair of ‘waterproof aids’ on a sailboat, powerboat or on the pool.

I do appreciate that Phonak is at least trying to make a truly waterproof HA. Hopefully they will keep at it and each new iteration will be better. Usually with new technology it starts out bad and gradually gets better. The other manufacturers don’t even seem to be trying.

I think Phonak is trying to under- promise and over-deliver here. They say the Life’s are not made for swimming, but they seem to imply that it’ll probably be ok to swim with them. Of course, if a few good dunkings end up killing the HAs they can say we told you so.

1 Like

@1Bluejay

The new Audeo Lumity is available in the Life Model.

I just saw that the Life is available with the new Lumity platform. It is encouraging that Phonak has carried over Life to a new platform. That implies at least some commitment to waterproof HAs. But I wonder if Phonak has tried to make any improvements to the waterproofing with the Lumity Life.

2 Likes

I thought that the hearing aids are intended to be waterproof but the receivers are not.

Maybe titanium custom moulds would work better to avoid getting water in the receivers, which would surely make the little sound-making pistons unhappy. Titanium is probably not going to affect you like silicone does.

when you go to the audiologist. Can you ask him how to change the filters on the microphone? It might sound weird, can you make a video about it because there are no instructions on youtube.

ear, our head moves during the activity. It can block the entry of water, I even wonder. Is it possible to create negative pressure in the ear and when we want to pull out the hearing aids so as not to damage the eardrum. Think of it as a glass bottle from which air has been sucked.

This name from Leisure Suit Larry?
If so, it tells the age of both of us!
Dan

1 Like

Thank you for the comprehensive testing and reports. First, I have never heard of HA driers.
Secondly I have been both in the shower and swimming with HAs in.
The first time was with Siemens cheapest and moulds. I simply forgot when I jumped in the pool. I was certainly well under as I like to swim to the bottom. I took them out, opened the battery compartments, shook them, and laid them out in the sun. Only problem was the battery connectors got a bit rusty. I did this more that once and only realised when I could hear! I did this in the shower too.
Next I showered with my Marvel rechargeable as I was told they were waterproof to IP68 standard. No problem though I was then told they were not. I have swum in them and showered too but each time by accident. No problems.
What I would not do is intentionally swim with them in case they popped out. I might be able to retrieve them in a pool but would worry they would go down the drain.

1 Like