Phonak introduces Paradise, a new paradigm in hearing aid sound quality

Lacks active noise cancellation?

LOL

1 Like

What’s “LOL” about that? That’s something the upcoming Bose OTC hearing aids will have.

Good luck with that.

I think he means that HA’s only cancel noise picked up by the HA mics using their electronic circuitry whereas Apple Air Buds Pro and now other ear buds will also have active cancellation of sound waves that might go directly to your eardrum with an open fit. I haven’t followed Phonak Paradise or earbud technology closely but I think a while back an Apple user on the forum suggested HA manufacturers in the noise cancellation wars were in danger of being scooped by the earbud folks, who, BTW, having a far bigger market income, might just mosey on over into HA territory and eventually crush more than a few HA OEM’s, especially with OTC solutions for mild to moderate hearing loss, e.g., because HA fitters encourage an open fit but ain’t selling no “active cancellation.”

Probably don’t remember correctly but I have the perhaps incorrect recollection that Air Buds Pro have both noise cancellation for noise in the vicinity of the ear and for noise picked up by their external mics and processed by their internal audio circuitry - that would be two forms of noise cancellation if memory is correct.

Active cancellation is explained in the beginning of the following CNET article:

The 2nd “noise cancellation” is apparently just an occlusive fit - with a “transparency” mode to let external sound thru if you want:

The AirPods’ noise cancellation, which is effective, also helps with external noise, and the combination of the seal of the tips and the active noise cancellation means they sound much better in noisier environments such as city streets. AirPods Pro review: These headphones still rock - CNET

1 Like

Interesting. But I am not convinced. How does it cancel sound waves if not by the circuitry?

I think the original statement is nonsense. It’s like claiming a new car has a turbo engine and all cars before it do not. All hearing aids have active noise reducing features. You may argue that buds do it without circuitry - I could then argue that twin mic directionality that uses sine wave subtraction is the very essence of noise cancellation - from the sides and back at least! And I was a witness to that 25 years ago!

I am just stirring up trouble. :slightly_smiling_face: Whether “active noise cancellation” is hype or not, I don’t know but one “budget” HA company, NuHeara is selling “hearing aids” with active noise cancellation.

I found the ad when I just Binged “hearing aids active noise cancellation” - so maybe as with a lot of other stuff, it will be “our brand ABC has ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION but brands X, Y, and Z do not!”

Yes, lol, not being a snob but I think there is a danger of getting sucked into marketing hype. The sort of hype that makes you believe that 23" puncture resistant tyres will serve you well in all terrains compared to 40" tubeless.

I think “fit for purpose” is key here. Still, OTC hearing aids will have a market in mild/moderate segment I guess.

1 Like

I’ve only skimmed, but to me the crucial distinction that isn’t emphasized (I didn’t see it mentioned, but I only skimmed) is what the signal is that your trying to cancel noise from. If the signal is music being streamed, then cancelling the surrounding sound (everything but the music) is pretty feasible. If the signal is speech being processed through microphones all located on the hearing aid, separating out the speech from all the other noise is pretty challenging. My take is that it would take a lot more computing power than what hearing aids currently have available. It was interesting reading a review from more of a tech perspective. I think the big difference when comparing earbuds to hearing aids is what they’re designed to listen to. At least until fairly recently, earbuds are for music, and only recently are trying speech. (Bose Hearphones by the way only actively cancel noise for streamed sounds and rely on directional mics to reduce noise for speech) Hearing aids are designed for speech and only recently have emphasized streaming.

1 Like

Yes, this has been my understanding of why the motion sensors are limited to the rechargeable version. I was disappointed too, but I doubt it was a choice made to “push” the market towards rechargeable. Makes more sense to me that it is an engineering limit.

I’m not going to be that impressed until someone can break down for me what the new chip offers in terms of sound quality and noise reduction. What is this new noise cancellation actually DOING? All these other features are just gravy.

1 Like

I agree, and people writing reviews so far didn’t gave me such answers. So it will all boil down to my own comparison of properly fitted Marvels vs properly fitted Paradises when they come to me.

On the paper we definitely don’t see that difference from anything written.

If the 4 dB SNR improvement (in the lab) is on TOP of the 3-6 dB beam forming improvement (in the lab) for a total of 7-10 dB SNR improvement (maybe 4-6 in real life?) that’s a reasonably big deal for the population of users who have only a mild to moderate SNR loss.

[On the other hand, if the call quality on the other end is dramatically improved even in noise. . . If EVERYONE had phonak hearing aids you could just go to a noisy restaurant and sit on conference call. Maybe instead of getting M90s, you just get all of your friends one M30 and a good phone plan.]

3 Likes

I think the best solutions for hearing in noise will be a combination of occlusion to block out sound from all directions, microphone directionality, either within the hearing devices or via “remote” mics elsewhere on the person or like a Roger Pen or Multi Mic and active noise cancellation (except it takes more battery). It seems like HA’s and ear buds are converging on this sort of solution, just from different directions. Ear buds are gaining more microphones and directionality. HA’s with open fit might want active noise cancellation if they want to stay competitive for mild to moderate hearing loss, especially without a more occlusive fit, which earbuds are working on.

I always liked the oxymoron: “What happens when an Irresistible Force meets an Immovable Object?” The answer (back in the 50’s) was: “An Inconceivable Concussion.” So it will be interesting to see what happens when earbuds and HA’s begin to even more seriously overlap in territory than they already are.

1 Like

In the before-time I traveled a lot and always wore NC headphones on flights. But when I got M90s with powerdomes I gave up the headphones.

Dear Phonak, all this tech is cool but worthless if you’re not going to bring it to Naida M UP model. In fact, I am disappointed that you’ve not brought the Marvel tech to Naida M UP. There are millions of people out there who benefit from a UP hearing aid and we’re all frustrated for being left behind.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if or when the Paradise custom ite will become available? I just returned my Virto M90 and plan to wait for the Paradise.

1 Like

Don’t hold your breath. If the Marvel is anything to go by, it will be at least 6 months, possibly a year.

3 Likes

Wow. I sure hope it doesn’t take that long. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect it before a year.

2 Likes

Glucas & Neville, I think you are right about when the Paradise ITE will be released. So, I have just ordered Paradise P90. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Looking forward to hearing how phone calls are for the person on the other end of the line. And, how streaming is in an open area/field. For me on Marvel, open fields or big open areas outside I more than occasionally lose streaming to the other ear, and I routinely get complaints about myself being hard to hear on the other end of the line while on a phone call. Let’s see if they did anything here. I still think I’ll probably hold out until what comes after Phonak Paradise.

2 Likes