Phonak introduces Paradise, a new paradigm in hearing aid sound quality

@brec - sufffer no more! I had the same issue but was able to resolve it after connecting the TV Connector to my Macbook with an optical, and not analog, connection. More details here: Phonak Marvel: TV connector disconnects after x seconds of quiet TV signal

Um, how could you, theyā€™re the same aids, no?

I mean, difference could come from different fitters, but those two aids are the same. Just rebranded.

Semantics perhaps, but they are not the ā€œsameā€ as in identical. They have different cases with the microphone openings being the most noticeable. (This has been claimed to make a difference in wind- I was unable to compare in wind. The KS9 is not particularly good with wind noise)The only feature they lack that Iā€™m aware of is tinnitus masking. But yes, the point I was trying to make was that if one is considering Marvel, donā€™t insist on rechargeables and cost is an issue one might consider KS9.

1 Like

Oh, I see. Everyone so far repeat that theyā€™re the same, so I took that for granted.

1 Like

Thanks @brec and @sundance for the suggestions! Ideally, Iā€™d like to be able to use the Paradise mic too, which would allow me to move away a few feet from the computer. Wonder if thereā€™s a way to do that. Anyone try just a bluetooth dongle?

I have the exact same problem with my 2017 MacBook Pro! This is why I gave up on Bluetooth on my laptop. Phonak support just told me to go to Apple Support for a resolution. The TV connector connection provides clearer sound, uses waaay less battery, and leaves me with two open BT concurrent connections which I use for my work and personal iphones.

Donā€™t bother with an additional Bluetooth dongle on the MacBook - itā€™s not just as simple as plugging it in since the OS will try to use the internal BT chipset.

Know nothing about Macs but on a Windows machine itā€™s as simple as turning off the internal BT on device manager.

On the Mac itā€™s a little harder but Iā€™ve got some instructions if anyone needs them. I must stress these are untested so good luck!

1. Open up a Terminal Application and open a CLI session.

2. Enter the following CLI command. sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=always

3. Open bluetooth preferences and Turn Off Bluetooth (if not already disabled)

4. You then need to reboot.

5. Once rebooted and logged back in. Open up blue tooth preferences and turn bluetooth back on

6. The blue led on the dongle should be illuminated and flashing, indicating that OSX is now using the USB dongle

7. Switch on a bluetooth device such as Magic Mouse, Headphones etcā€¦ you should now see them appear in the available bluetooth devices

8. Connect to your mouse, external keyboard etc. and it should be all working

This command can be rolled back by opening up a Terminal CLI session and entering: sudo nvram -d bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior

Then reboot.

1 Like

I am currently testing out the Paradise and I think I have found my new hearing aids! I previously tried the Marvels and did not like them at all. Perhaps this was a programming issue, but I can finally understand speech, even with masks on, with the Paradise. I can understand lyrics to songs that always sounded like mumbled noises before. I am surprised that I love them so much, as I see a lot of comparisons to the Marvel. I did not think that I would like the Paradise because of my experience with the Marvels. But to me, they are completely different and I can hear things that I could never hear before. They arenā€™t perfect, as I still had trouble hearing when people were across the pickle ball court with a lot of construction background noice, but these are by far the best for me that I have tried (Marvel, Resound Quattro, Resound One, Unitron). I think it may be the motion detector that seems to really zoom in on who is speaking and words sound so clear. Also they are small and comfortable and I love that they connect to my Mac and iphone flawlessly. The TV connector also works well and it is a great small size. I was just about to give up and give the earlens a try. Thank you to everyone who gave me helpful advice and I will use it all in the future. Good luck everyone!

2 Likes

Definitely!

I had two marvels, one poorly fitted where I could understand better without them (and my unaided comprehension is shit, to put it mildly) and one properly fitted and the second one was pure awesomeness.
Paradise and marvel properly fitted are very similar. So far only difference Iā€™ve noticed is a bit better noise handling in loud environments eg it pokes my brain less intensively.

Motion detector doesnā€™t zoom at all. Quite the opposite, it unzooms for the small circle around you.

Did you change fitter as well during those trials?

Glad you find aids that are actually helping you :slight_smile:

Thanks Blacky! I actually used the same fitter, but whatever he did with the Paradise is much better. And I realized that I donā€™t even have the motion detector because I am borrowing the battery style. I did make sure that frequency lowering was activated this time. Now I just need custom molds and real ear measurements to really make them work for me. Iā€™m going to give my same salesman a try. He has been great about letting me trial many brands and he is very patient and nice. He has never done real ear measurements with me before and this will be my third pair of hearing aids from him. But he has the machine and said he would be happy to do it if I buy the hearing aids. If it doesnā€™t work out, Iā€™ll return them and try another audiologist.

Now I have to figure out if I want the rechargeables, which have the motion detector. They are a little bigger and I worry that they may run out of battery before the end of the day, which would be very annoying; however, if they improve my hearing I think itā€™s worth the risk?

Also, he wants to use hollow plastic molds. Do you think this is a good idea?

If this wasnā€™t done with marvels, then thereā€™s your main difference. Itā€™s huge stuff.

This idea of doing rem after you buy I find insane. Point of rem based speech mapping fitting is to give you FIRST fit as best as possible. And then, he relies on manufacturer. Zero logic.

Also, if you need frequency lowering, Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s rem fitting protocol for that.

No clue about molds.

About motion sensor, Iā€™d recommend trying after youā€™re find the best in short time frame for fit, molds and that. So that you donā€™t compare too different setups.
But definitely try. Thereā€™s no other way to know for sure if something brings a difference or not.

There are, but I think itā€™s the very rare person that uses them. Hereā€™s a ton of info: Frequency Lowering Fitting Assistants

Iā€™ve always found frequency lowering requires tweaking. On my Rextonā€™s, the default setting was way too gentle and I gradually made it stronger. On my KS9, the default was too strong and I had a lot of s-sh confusion. Ideally one should ensure that the ā€œsā€ sound is audible, but that you can tell the difference between s and sh sound.

2 Likes

You really can dig up crazy things online :bowing_man:
Awesome :slight_smile:

@julieMK I have been trialing the rechargeable Paradise aids for the past month. I average about 12 hours of use a day with a modest amount of streaming. I usually have a bit over 25% of battery life left.

Spent last week backpacking and had the phone in airplane mode so no Bluetooth connection. Average of 12 hours of wear again usually 45-50% battery left at the end if the day.

Jim

3 Likes

I have been using P90 R for about a month. I wear them for about 12 hours a day and do a fair amount of streaming. My aids at the end of the day are usually 50%+.

2 Likes

Those are pretty good numbers! Thank you for letting me know. I am going in tomorrow to exchange the battery for the rechargeables. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes. I usually wear my HA all day for 16-17 hours and stream maybe a couple of hours, plus tv connect at night.

1 Like

That is about similar to my scenario, so please come back and let us know how it all works out for you. Iā€™m hopefully :crossed_fingers: get mine in 2-3 weeks. P90 R

@Sequoia_Woman

Rough numbers - 1h of BT streaming eats 10% of battery, one hour of TV/roger around 3% if I remember correctly (TV one, for BT Iā€™m sure).

More challenging environment eats more than quiet, bigger receiver eats more than small.

Thatā€™s why other peoples numbers donā€™t mean much, since you donā€™t have precise information. Eg what is moderate to you can be heavy streaming for someone else and so on.

Phonak calculated that for 4h of BT streaming and 4h of TV (thatā€™s about 50% of battery) and regular use (so itā€™s 8h left in 16h day) they should suffice, which aligns with what people are reporting.

However, more streaming than that, and use in non trivial environment after that, becomes tricky.

Also, not to forget that battery will lose itā€™s capacity over time. So if during the trial theyā€™re less than 25% left, you donā€™t have much for those days that are not average eg youā€™d have to be mindful in those days.
I donā€™t know how fast theyā€™ll lose capacity, but if they get only 10-15% left at the end of the trial days, be prepared that in a year or two they might not make the whole day. So calculate the cost of exchange if you need the info for budgeting now (or check if thatā€™s going to be replaced by phonak under warranty).

1 Like

I agree with Blackyā€™s assessment. In my case my left ear is less demanding of battery power because it is less impaired. Yesterday we switched the dominant role (for connections) from the default right side to the left side so that communications power drain is better balanced. Seems to be effective but would only work as a strategy if your two aids donā€™t demand equal power.

1 Like