Phonak introduces Marvel platform and Audéo M hearing aids

Checking battery status is about the only time I use the app and I’ve seen minor differences in mine occasionally. It makes me wonder if maybe the app is a little off rather than the hearing aids.

Hope your problem is nothing serious. I developed a problem with my left Quattro mics not working right (high frequencies out) and now my left hearing aid battery drains more slowly than the right because the “defective” mics aren’t burning nearly as much battery energy as the right HA (the left used to always drain a little bit faster). I will be seeing my audi on Monday and might have further interesting details to follow up with in a Quattro thread.

1 Like

At the end of the day my left is always lower than my right. They stay the same until about 50% then the left drops faster. At bed time 15-16 hrs of usage have seen at most the left 20 lower. My Audi change the primary from left to right, still different 10-15… My right ear has the bigger loss (have P receivers) Looking forward if you find any additional info !

1 Like

I have tested last week the quattro. I was not very happy, and that was due to the fitting or that I am used to the Phonak sounds.
Anyways, I like the app of the Quattro, but I prefer the Marvel way of doing it automatically with the AutosensOS, it would be nice tough if it could be combined with the option of the customer having an app to change programs if s/he chooses to do so. I do understand that the Marvel will get an updated app, which is a good thing.

What I do prefer in the casing of the Quattro, is that it is much easier to open the battery container of the Quattro. On the other hand I do prefer the smaller size of the Marvel.

1 Like

Agree on battery door on phonak. These doors on my 13T are not easy to open and require more force than I was initially comfortable with. Definitely requires dexterity that not all people have, so I understand the benefit of rechargeables for this population.

I closed this topic yesterday with the following reason:

This “Phonak introduces Marvel” topic has turned into a megathread and is becoming hard to navigate. Let’s start up more focused topics on Marvel to discuss specific ideas like Marvel’s Bluetooth connectivity, comparing Marvel to other products, etc.

I did not anticipate that I would kill all the conversation about the Marvel in the forum, so I decided to open this thread back up again. Sorry about the interruption :wink:

4 Likes

Excellent! Yeah I didn’t quite get “hard to navigate” what with the little bar on the right. But hey it’s your show. We’ll see if things pick up again.

I’m kind of old school and usually use ctrl+f to find things on the page, and once the page gets really long discourse “hides” parts of the content from you, because it only loads posts as they come into view (as you scroll)… Of course, discourse has a handy way to overcome that, which is ctrl+f usually opens the discourse internal search of the thread, which searches even the hidden stuff… but I still prefer having all the content loaded in view so I can jump around using chrome’s normal page search… Sorry, just being nit-picky.

So one thing I have noticed that I don’t really like. Quite often when I pick up my iPhone and go to look at my mail or text messages, the Marvels immediately assume I want to “stream” and switch into the “Streaming” program. It’s not the end of the world but it does muffle the “outside” sounds quite a bit and this can be annoying if I’m talking to someone while perusing my phone. It almost always switches back to the AutoSense program once I close the phone but I’d like it to just go into “streaming” mode when I really want it to do so.

Yes I find the same problem, if I start a game like words with Friends or any app with sound then my aids switch to streaming even if I have the sound FX turned off. It would be nice if the Phonak app gave the option what apps can send audio to streaming.

Having tested the 312s for several weeks and now owning the 13Ts, my experience is that the 13Ts are a whole lot easier to open and close than the 312s! I get the dexterity bit, but I do think it gets a lot easier with practice and time. With the 13Ts, I find the key bit is to use the thumbnails to open them. Then to close them, push up on the bottoms with the thumbs while the other fingers are lightly holding the hearing aids in place.

To warneral, that’s one of the main reason I went to replaceable batteries instead of the rechargeables where you are totally dependent on your recharger! If you’re on a trip and lose or break your recharger, you’re out of luck, but you can buy the 312 or 13 batteries anywhere in the world. All you have to do is remember to keep a few packs of batteries for when you’re (say) at sea for several days. :slight_smile: Also you don’t have to worry about your charger when you’re out and about after a long, long day – just replace your batteries from your purse or coat pocket once every 6 or 7 days (my experience so far with the 13Ts).

For me, the 13 size batteries are much easier to deal with than the 312s, in just about everything. The size of the Marvel 312s vs the 13Ts is barely noticeable, the longer life is definitely noticeable.

Back to rechargeables vs. batteries, I think it’s just a subjective and lifestyle thing. To each one’s own! :sunny:

2 Likes

are you on an iphone or android device? if on an iphone, do you have the keyboard sounds enabled? if so, try disabling this. go to settings --> sounds and haptics and scroll down.

this doesn’t happen to me with texting/email on my iphone, but it does happen when browsing safari and there are ads that, while “muted”, still enable bluetooth in case i want to listen to the ad (which is never!). NOTE, this is NOT specific to a Marvel issue! i had this issue with ReSound Quattros and the original Linx. I wish apple would let me fine tune sound behavior, and how to route it on the phone.

i’ve mitigated this dampening effect to have the mic in Target 6.0 not at -6 which is default, but -3. so it still decreases the mic volume (which is why things are muffled), but not as much. decreasing the mic volume is desirable when actually listening to something, so it’s a give/take scenario. sometimes i’ll use the rocker switch when i really want to hone in on what i’m listening to.

on another note, @AbramBaileyAuD - thanks for re-opening!

I did try your suggestion but still goes over to “Streaming” mode when I activate my phone. However, I think I’ve found a solution that is good enough for me. The “Streaming” program apparently remembers the last setting on the Balance shifting function and I usually use it set all the way to “Audio” to amplify the music and block outside noise. But if I move it over to “Surrounding” and shut it off, then when I pick up the phone to check mail, etc. the effect of the “Streaming” is barely noticeable.

1 Like

I had some of the same type of problems with my Motorola Z2 play with coming on after being muted, camera app and texting app would do this. Went into camera app and found the box for shudder sound ticked, removed that and changed texting app because google messaging app made a sound when message was sent, new text app doesn’t do this… All good in that respect now but still have other issues for audi to work her magic on.

I’m sitting here with a coworker who just got her Marvels yesterday. She just figured out that if she answers the phone with the button on her left aid, she can hear the caller, but the caller cannot hear her. If she uses the button on the right aid, everything works fine. iPhone XS Max.

1 Like

I have iphone XS, which has the same bluetooth chip as iPhone XS Max, and my Marvels are set to “Fixed” bluetooth mode and I do not have this issue.

1 Like

Is there a way to manually set via the app the directionality as was possible with Phonak’s older app?

1 Like

Just had a phone call walking down a busy street in the heart of a major US city, and the person didn’t complain about not hearing me at all. Also was windy at times. It actually went beautifully and I didn’t have to raise my voice so the Marvel mics would pick up my voice. This hasn’t been every time, but now that I have had them for about a month and have been making frequent calls, the growing majority of calls are without issue on either end. Hands free has never been an option for me in the past with ReSound HA’s, and I will say I am a big fan. Phone: iPhone XS

2 Likes

So I am nearly a week into a trial on some M70Rs. Compared to my old Oticon Agils these are “phenomenal” (I hate that word with a passion, but love the Marvels). My old HAs were loud and obnoxious all the time. Upper frequencies were harsh and bass was lacking. Loud environments were painful.

With these they seem pretty seemless. My Audi activated the manual Music program, speech in noise and speech in loud noise programs (as folks recommended to me earlier in this thread). And I really haven’t had to use them as AutoSense 3.0 seems to mostly get it right. There are times, like when in a quieter environment that I have turned on the music program just because I don’t want background to attenuate.

I was at Starbucks the other day (don’t judge me). That was always a very challenging environment for me because the music is always a little too loud, the place has lots of hard surfaces and reverbs. But I was able to sit there, talk to my friend, hear the background music without feeling “overwhelmed with background noise” and struggling to hear my friend like I used to be.

So far they have been perfectly solid with my iPhone 7+. I am so happy I bought a tv connector from eBay and a power adapter ($130 and $30 respectively) used. Both function well.

I tried the tv connector plugged into the headphone port of my Denon receiver that runs my home theater system. I liked the sound. But with my PlayStation 4 it sounded off. I doubt I will use the tv connector with tv much as I can understand tv speech as well and at the same volume level as my normal hearing partner. She does not wear/need HAs. I will instead use the tv connector for my PC and laptop.

Other than my iPad I don’t really have the need to connect via BT to multiple devices. So that whole issue isn’t really a big deal for me.

The speech in loud noise program I haven’t tested much. But I did put my tv up loud and sat next to my partner, turned on the speech in loud noise program. She spoke and I could hear her voice much better than the tv blaring. So from that small test I like it.

Music streaming sounds so good. I have power domes and an M receiver. I think I will get custom molds at final fitting. But I’m impressed with how rich music and even tv and spoken voices are with these aids.

Speaking about music streaming. I have a Jeep Wrangler 2 door on which the top is almost always off and the doors are off as well. Since my old Oticons’ streaming device was awful I never used it. So in the Jeep I would crank the radio volume high but still couldn’t hear it above about 40mph. Then when I’d stop at a light it was blaring and I’d have to turn it down. It feels so good to stream iTunes music or podcasts, open the Phonak app and move the streaming slider slightly over toward streaming away from outside noise, then be able to cruise down the road Hearing my music well without being overwhelmed with wind noise. Now I love my Jeep even more…

Going back later this week to trial M90Rs. But I can’t imagine being that much more happy than I am now. I just feel like Hearing is a lot less work than it used to be

8 Likes

In my younger years, I’ve driven tens of thousands of miles with the top down on a convertible or all the windows rolled down on a sedan with the radio blaring (to be heard over wind and road noise) at speeds up to 75 mph. High speed driving with your ears exposed to wind/road noise is a potential source of hearing loss. Don’t know how much custom molds with narrow vents would protect you from further hearing loss but the potential exposure is something to consider… I figure that it’s probably part of my age-related hearing loss. I probably had a total noise exposure driving the way I did at least in the range of 90 to 100 dB and it was usually 100’s of miles at a crack.

4 Likes