Phonak introduces Marvel platform and Audéo M hearing aids

As I touched on a while ago and I see I’m not alone…it’s your delivery.

OPN’s are mfi only. Several other brands are mfi only (other than extra devices). Fine. Have at it. Fill yer boots.
I’m not interested. Therefore I read this thread (and others).

6 Likes

You are making this forum an unenjoyable place for many nearly every time you post. You have stated your opinion repeatedly in several different flavors now. This thread certainly isn’t an echo chamber for positive feedback, but you insist on giving negative feedback that often attacks other members.

I know it’s hard for you to believe, but having been on Made for iPhone hearing aids for 5 years now, and I find the experience with the Marvels superior, despite the limitation of one device. I compared the Quattros (arguably the best MFi hearing aid, particularly when streaming is considered) and Marvels, programmed by the same audiologist, side by side in some of the most challenging environments I could muster, and speech intelligibility won repeatedly with the Marvels. (Before you flip out, no, I didn’t test Oticon OPN, and had no desire to either due to their well known issues with feedback in those who require more power for the hearing loss prescription.) I chose the Marvels for it doing the basic tasks of a hearing aid – hearing in multiple types of environments – better than its greatest competitor, ReSound. The superior streaming experience was an added benefit. I knew the limitation of only streaming to one device at a time going in, and it hasn’t been a major drawback for me. I wish it would directly connect between my MacBook Pro and iPhone XS seamlessly, but it doesn’t. If I really need to stream to my MBP, I’ll pair it and then repair my phone (takes 1 minute). I have a TV Connector for that seamless switching between devices, and in almost all situations I’m in, it’s not a hassle.

Apparently it would be a devastating hassle for you. We get it. Now please, keep repeating yourself!

10 Likes

psst–typo? did you mean STOP repeating yourself? :smiling_imp:

Sorry. Sarcasm was overflowing. :wink:

3 Likes

Opns are not mfi only. I use them with my android phone and my laptop using regular bluetooth as well. mfi is just a specific iphone bluetooth LE profile. Same as made for android will be when it becomes available.

I don’t think your Android can stream calls or music to the OPN’s. Switch functions sure…but not stream. It can use an extra device to do that of course as can them all.
That is the main feature of the Marvels (other than aiding hearing of course :slight_smile: ).

in what basis are you making such an incorrect claim? Here are the profiles that are supported by the Opns:

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) 1.3
Headset Profile (HSP) 1.2
Hands-Free Profile (HFP) 1.6 including support for Wideband Speech

These are the same profiles supported by any current bluetooth headset.

Darylm, please stop this negative, maybe even hostile banter. I initially appreciated your comments, I now find them repetitive and tiring. I had a bit of a unique trial opportunity. My audi provided me a 3 month trial of the opn’s. I loved them and their mfi, but because the technology was a bit aged, and the Quattro’s had just been available, I was anxious to compare with them. I was 2 months with the Quattro’s and then I tried the Marvels. All did certain things better than the others. I am really sorry that your experience was not positive with the Marvels. They work wonderfully well for me. Hopefully the pairing pain is resolved, but if I follow the “correct” procedures, I can connect to all the Apple products I have, my android tv, my windows computer, etc. Some take as little as 30 seconds, sometimes a minute.
My biggest take on all of this, is we have different needs, and we don’t need to convince everyone else that they are wrong.
The Marvels do for me all that is promised. Pairing issues not as clean as some Bluetooth devices, but workable, even if slightly cumbersome.

5 Likes

Opns ARE MFi only! That is a fact! The Opns do not stream directly to an Android phone. Opns can only connect directly to a device that uses MFi (Made For iPhone) The only way you can connect to an Android device is to use an intermediate device that you hang around your neck and you have to keep charged separately. This is EXACTLY the prime reason Kate and I chose the Marvels. The last thing we wanted was the hassle of that intermediate device.

Here’s the fact you continue to ignore. Phonak Audeo Marvels are currently the ONLY HA that streams directly to an Android phone or a Bluetooth Classic device without requiring one to wear an intermediate device.

Apparently you enjoy wearing an intermediate device and keeping it charged. Many of us do not.

6 Likes

Before darylm jumps all over this, the OPN does connect to some Android Phones just for controlling your hearing aids, but not for direct audio streaming.
From the Oticon ON App description:
“The ON App for Android will not enable you to use your hearing aids for direct audio streaming from your Android phone.”
The subject here is audio streaming without an intermediate device.

2 Likes

Exactly my understanding. Sure…an app…my Costco KS7 Rexton/Signia/Sivantos have an app. No streaming of anything with these. Just telecoil and/or external device.
My explanation above allowed room for the app connection…not streaming.

Yes, you guys are absolutely correct. Being able to control the volume with an app doesn’t really count as connecting for Kate and me. Quite frankly it’s a lot easier and quicker to just control volume with the rocker switch on the Marvels themselves. I’m a classical pianist and streaming music is a prime reason I wanted direct connection to my Android phone. Streaming phone calls is also very important. I didn’t realize how important streaming phone calls in to both ears could be until the first phone call came in!

Opn simply doesn’t do direct Android streaming. Marvels are the only HA that does direct Android streaming. And that’s the main reason that Kate and I have Marvels. For us it’s icing on the cake that the Marvels are also superb HA’s for understanding speech.

1 Like

Exactly!!!

Why are you moaning about my comments, but not also about the replies? Communication is two way. Are you suggesting that if someone rebuts something I say or makes a sarcastic remark that’s okay, but I’m not supposed to reply? If so, yah, well…

You just don’t get it, do you darylm? You’ve been told by a number of folks on here.
It’s not what you do, it’s how you do it, with your superior, condescending, know-it-all attitude.

3 Likes

Let’s change the goal post. I never said streaming without an intermediate device.

You seem to be fixated on the fact that Opns support MFI but you don’t seem that you don’t understand MFI is BT LE. When made for android is available, it will be very similar to MFI. If you google for it, you will find the system architecture. MFI provides the same functions as the Opn app on iphone or android (e.g., program setting, volume setting, battery level, low battery warning), as well as remote microphone.

Unlike the Marvels, the Opns pair with multiple devices and they remain connected to all paired devices within range all the time. So I can use either my android phone or my iphone to check the battery levels or adjust the volume, even while streaming to the laptop or the android or the iphone. Time will tell, but when the made for android standard is finalized, I would not be surprised if any HA that supports MFI will also support MFA. Again, time will tell.

It’s correct that the Opns stream directly to iphones, but they stream to other devices through the connect clip. I’ve said before that I would rather not have a connect clip, but would rather have a connect clip that works reliably 100% of the time than no connect clip that only pairs with one device and disconnects as often as the Marvels did. I use skype 5+ hours per day. In the time I’ve had the Opns, I have not had a single instance of disconnection. The Marvels often disconnected so often, I had to have a USB headset on standby. Before you tell me your Marvels have never disconnected, how many skype calls have you made and how many cumulative DAYS have you spent on skype?

Gary, listen to yourself. What you’re describing about me sounds a lot like you. I can’t post a single comment without you posting a rebuttal, often sarcastic.

Why don’t you ever reply to me?

Everyone else: I propose we stop feeding the troll.

4 Likes

Some folks like that it connects to their phone and can make phone calls with it. Some other want it to easily connect to multiple devices & complain that it won’t.

Personally, I only have 1 phone and it connects for me just fine.

Yes, the Bluetooth is intermittent occasionally while outdoors, but I have very similar issues with my Jabra Bluetooth earbuds. Bottom line is that the Marvel’s are really good hearing aids.

If you don’t like them, feel free to buy something else and proclaim to the world how much you like the models you chose.

: -)

Dave

5 Likes

I went away for the weekend last week and forgot my charger! I tried turning off both HA to save and spare whatever I could by my left HA was completely drained when I came back to them 2 days later.

When I got back home to my charger I’ve experienced that my left HA is draining faster than my right. I check in with the app and my left has 15% remaining where my right has 65% at the end of the day. My loss is similar in both ears. My streaming is linked to my right HA. I’m wondering why such a discrepancy in battery drain between the two. I tried searching because I thought I remember someone else had one HA draining too fast, but couldn’t find the post. I have my Audiologist appointment on Tuesday. Hopefully she can help me.