Phonak introduces Marvel platform and Audéo M hearing aids

I know someone who drove a transport truck for years. He often drove with the driver’s side window open. He has noticeably worse hearing in his left ear and he attributes it to wind noise. Scientific? Maybe not, but it seems to be a valid explanation.

1 Like

Thanks Jim. And while I totally appreciate that the wind noise could cause hearing issues if exposed for prolonged periods of time on a regular basis, my Jeep is actually my 3rd car. It only gets driven on sunny days when the temps are above 80. And when it’s driven it’s for about 6-10 miles to work on roads where the speed limit ranges from 35 to 45. Like this week, it rained today and it’s supposed to be cool tomorrow in the low 60s in the morning and low 70s in the afternoon. Same thing Wednesday. Too cold for the Jeep. Thursday it will be in the mid 80s and sunny so I’ll take the Jeep to work. Then Friday maybe.

I guess I’m saying I hope, by limiting the amount of exposure and almost never driving highway speeds, it won’t cause any issues. Because frankly, having a Jeep and not being able to drive topless and doorless is like having a supermodel wife, but not being able to ever touch her.

2 Likes

I think the problem was the aftermarket cord I was using to plug into the charger (longer to reach my dresser). Before I complained to my audiologist about it, I switched to the shorter aphonak charger and now both ears are similar. I have more than 50% at the end of the day with both HA.

The problem must have been the aftermarket cord.

I also ordered the little mini charger to keep in my car glove box and the battery pack. I’m trying to decide which to bring on my international trips coming up later in the year.

where did you find the mini charger to order it? I’ve looked on line and haven’t found one… I refuse to pay what the Audi will charge me for one

Dave

I ordered it as a bundle through my audiologist. It had the mini plus the charging base for the regular charger for $137. I didn’t think that was bad. I can expense it to our flex plan account, and my insurance paid 100% of the cost of my M90Rs.

1 Like

One thing to note if you’re traveling, the Mini Charger uses a USB-C charging cord. The larger combi-case uses a Micro USB cord.

2 Likes

I might see about a mini charger myself. My phone and zenpad are USB-c, but my Phonak charger is micro-USB. On the other hand, so is my Galaxy Tab. (I’m using that while the zenpad is out of commission.)

1 Like

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Forgive me, i could not resist :wink:

@dani The term “high” is a relative one and could be defined in a number of ways. For example, it could be a high speed relative to the risk of incurring hearing loss.

Or usually more simply defined just as high relative to the risk of death if an accident occurs.

If you have a significant accident around 75 mph, airbag, seat belt, or not, it’s pretty likely to be a fatal one. So 75 mph is a high speed to be going at if you value your life. I guess if you don’t, step on the gas even more! 75 mph is also a high speed relative to the legal limit on most Interstate highways in the U.S. except in some wide-open spaces in the Western United States. :slight_smile:

Source of graphs: https://nacto.org/docs/usdg/relationship_between_speed_risk_fatal_injury_pedestrians_and_car_occupants_richards.pdf

I know that. Thank you for the link. This helps me for argueing on german car forums. Recently there has been starting (again) a discussion to introduce a top speed limit on all highways. I prefer having the limit. But it’s off-topic here.

Last year I drove to Thüringen from the UK. I have driven in Germany before, in the black forest, but this was the 1st time I crossed the whole of Germany. I took the ferry overnight which arrived in the Hook of Holland near rotterdam.

When driving through Holland the speed limits were 130 kph/80 mph. I did not realise I was in Germany because the signs in dutch were similar to german; it was only until cars started speeding past me at 110 mph that I realised I had arrived in germany!

The journey was basically insane. I have never seen people drive so fast. At times, there were 3 lanes, all drivers were doing 100 mph/110mph/120mph. But the difference with the UK is that the germans were really disciplined about lane changes and the way they would pull off to the Ausfahrt. I would see a BMW, slowing down from 120mph, to 100mph to 80mph and then 60mph in a really controlled exit. That wouldn’t happen in the UK! If a BMW driver was doing 120mph, they would still be doing that up the exit slip stream !

Some drivers were doing 140mph, but again really disciplined. One sports car flashed me from half a mile behind, to move over, as he went past at 140 mph !

I have bottled it this year. I am flying to germany.!

2 Likes

Bluetooth “Fixed” was the issue. Funny thing is I warned her about that before she went to get them. You just can’t help some people! All working good for her now.

1 Like

Just got my phonak audio marvels today. Can’t believe how well I can hear now even turned off the CC on the TV. My tinnitus is still an issue and I failed to address it with my aud today but will see about activating the generator and see if it can help block out the ring. Love the fact I can stream my Pandora music directly from my phone and get crystal clear music, so nice. Just can’t believe all the sounds I can hear now except that damn squirrel sure is loud.:joy::joy:

3 Likes

Personally, one of phonak’s weak spots is their tinnitus management. I use an app called Relief made by ReSound. I use it on my iPhone with phonak aids, works great. Allows me to customize the sound and I use it when needed.

I’ve trialed the M70r for 3 weeks and found them very poor in noise. Just my personal experience. I’m returning them after several adjustments to no avail. I hear a lot more sound, but very little is intelligible and all it does is give me a headache with no less understanding than my previous low end Oticons. I can’t explain it given all the great reviews and am very happy for those that find them to be great aids. I wish I knew why they are so poor performing for me.

I hear ya, @donkramail. I tried out the M90-R and I didn’t find them to be so marvelous for me in terms of speech clarity. So I’m back to Oticon OPN. I hope you can find your best solution too.:smiley:

I’m not a fan of the placement of the control buttons on the top of the Marvel where they contact the temples of my glasses. Even without glasses on and despite good finger dexterity I still find them hard to use pressing downward rather than forward.

I think I’ve got it figured out. What I’ve learned to do is press my ear against my Marvel and then it is held stationary. Then, at least for me, it’s relatively easy to operate the UP and DOWN buttons.

1 Like

I do find that the left is easier for me to operate than the right,

And perhaps you’re left handed? :smile: