Phonak Audeo M50-R lost its settings?

I am new to the world of hearing aids. I am a 50yr old male experiencing single sided deafness. Since yesterday I have a Phonak Audeo M50-R. It was supplied by an audiologist. Today I wanted to wear it again but it seems it completely lost its programmed frequency response as it effectively does nothing anymore for my deaf ear. No matter how high I set the volume it does not amplify any sounds (at least to the levels so I can hear them).

Obviously I am going back to the store which supplied me this hearing aid but I was hoping somebody here has any clue what happens after just 1 day of usage. Did I accidently press the rocker-switch too long so I gave it a factory reset which removed all the programming done by the audiologist?

Any tips?

Btw: this forum seems useful and interesting so I am planning to stick around. My apology if I don’t use the correct words/terms, still struggling with finding the correct words related to the subject of deafness & hearing aids. I am from the Netherlands. I see some (?) post which have their audiogram attached, still need to find out how to add my audiogram.

It sounds like it isn’t turned on. You might want to try putting it in the charger for a few minutes and trying again. If they doesn’t work, you could try pushing the button and seeing if a green light comes on.

1 Like

Don’t worry about this, it’s not possible for this to happen.

Yeah it doesn’t seem obvious, but it’s really easy to do from your profile, spend 5min on it and you’ll be fine, see here

As @MDB has stated ether it’s not turned on or it’s flat and needs a recharge for a few hours.

With the volume turned down, listen with your good ear (or someone else’s good ear).

Thanx for the quick responses! I have added my audiogram now.

The hearing aid is fully charged and definitely turned on (indicator is green when powered on). I can connect via Bluetooth using the Phonak app and can switch programs and manipulate volume.

But… even when I insert it in my left good ear the volume is just really low, also when I increase the hearing aid volume to the max.

Btw: not sure if this info is relevant but my hearing aid is equipped with a custom made slimtip.

So I can only conclude it lost its frequency response amplification settings. Or it is already broken after 1 day.

I don’t know if the audiologist is experienced with phonak hearing aids. But I also had a similar experience with Unitron hearing aids which are a sister company of phonak. I didn’t know that because I got into DIY programming for the first time. But an experienced audiologist should know this if you asked him about it.

The problem could be “Automatic adaptation”, if you are new to hearing aids, by default for new users it will reduce the volume and over time it will increase the volume up to 100% over time.

If it really bothers you, tell the audiologist to turn it off or to set the automatic adaptation to 90% volume.

On day 1 they were supplied by the hearing aid shop and programmed and confirmed to be working. During this first day I had to tweak/lower the volume due to certain sounds becoming uncomfortable. I wore the hearing aid for 15 hours this first day and it still worked when I took it out.

So there was no automatic adaptation during day 1. I guess the hearing aid is powered off when putting it in the charging station. Maybe this automatic adaption became active the next day when it was powered on again.

I remembered that it could also be the cause
clogged WAX filter
or
damaged receiver, and it would be necessary to replace it with another receiver.

Try to replace the wax filter, even if you clean the ear often, the filter can become clogged due to the moist air inside the ear.

2 Likes

Plugged wax filter seems like a decent possibility.

2 Likes

Yes, replacing the cerumen filter fixed it!

I am very suprised this is the cause. The filter was only used for 1 day. My audiologist replaced this filter before me to show me how this is done so it definitely was brand new. According to the manual it should be replaced every 4 to 8 weeks.

I am under the impression I have little buildup of ear wax and my body can get rid of it easily due to a straight ear canal.

Any additional tips how to visual inspect this tiny filter to determine if it is really clogged?

Again: thanx to everybody for thinking with me!

2 Likes

My Grandad had some Phonak Audeo Aids and just from having really wet ears, blocked his filters.

He ended up getting BTE Aids and slim tubes and domes due to this reason.

I think it’s more a matter of luck rather than a predictable buildup. It takes very little wax to plug the filter. It takes pretty good close vision to see a blockage. To do so requires removing the dome. Brushing wax from dome regularly (daily) should help. Ultimately though, replacing wax filter is a good troubleshooting tool to have in one’s bag of tricks.

1 Like

I took a close-up photo of the clogged filter and after some zooming in I was able to see the clogged holes.

Next time when I have any doubts on the working of my hearing aid I will first replace the filter.

2 Likes