Phonak Audéo I90 and Bluetooth

The final straw for my trial of the Phonak Audéo I90 and a CROS was the Bluetooth issues.
I have never found devices so difficult to connect/pair to (and keep connected) to my Google Pixel 7 and 9. I had thought it was the Pixel 7 until I bought a new 9 and it was the same.
Has anyone else had issues with Android (or Pixels?) and connecting the Phonak aids? I am a tech guy, so it is not like I have no idea what I am doing.

My Starkey is seamless for connection, only problem I have had is if I am streaming a podcast, after 45 minutes or so the connection degrades to the point that I have to shut off Bluetooth on the phone and restart the connection.

These Phonaks would often not show up, or they would only show up with MAC addresses (hardware network ID that looks something like 00-B0-D0-63-C2-26) but not connect as media devices. Again, I thought it was my Pixel 7 until I saw exactly the same thing with a brand new Pixel 9.

I finally returned them and am waiting for a new Sphere to trial, but I just read that the Sphere is quite large, and I am bald, so…

If you’re having Bluetooth issues with the I90, I don’t expect them to be resolved with the I90 Sphere. They share the same platform.

That is part of why I posted this thread. My guess is there is a problem with those trial aids, as I can’t imagine that Phonak would have THAT bad of a Bluetooth implementation - my audiologist claims Phonak has the BEST Bluetooth connectivity (though he is trapped in the Apple ecosystem)
So I am hoping to see what other Android users have experienced - this is my first try with Phonak and they haven’t impressed me so far…

Bluetooth connection between my Sphere and my Samsung A52 have been rock solid, If you have that problem when you get the Sphere, maybe it is a connection problem specific to the Pixels. Good luck.

I just found that.

Thanks, but it works great with the Starkey, including streaming.
Also, Google reports this: Hearing aid compatibility for Pixel phones - Pixel Phone Help

I’ve had some Audeo Lumity L90 from Boots for the last 5 weeks and I’ve been connecting them with all sorts of different devices.

iPhone 15 Pro Max (Audible, iPlayer, Netflix) - Rock solid connection and audio. A few issues when talking to Siri and ChatGPT with some words not registering.

Apple TV - Rock solid
iPad Mini 6 (Netflix, YouTube) - Rock solid in the same room

MacBook Pro M2 (MS Teams calls) - Rock solid from my end but poor audio (compared to Shokz OpenComm) at the other end of the call.

Amazon Echo Spot - Rock solid In the same room, patchy in the next room.

Apple Watch Ultra
Indoors (audiobooks in the kitchen while cooking) - Solid
In the car - Solid
On the train - Solid
In the office (lots of other Bluetooth devices) - Solid
Walking round the village - Solid
Dog walk up hill (very open fields, no trees or hedges) - Intermittent
Talking to Siri - hit and miss.

So other than up the hill, where there is little to reflect the signal from my watch on my left wrist to my hearing aids, listening has been solid, but talking to Siri, ChatGPT or via teams has been only 80-90% successful.

1 Like

Microfiche
I understand that the Pixel 9 has an improved and stronger modem than the earlier Pixels. As I understand it the modem is used for all forms of connection so it follows that Bluetooth connectivity should be better in your new phone.

In saying that, I find that with my Motorola Edge 40 I sometimes get interruptions to streaming when the phone is in my right trouser pocket but not when the phone is in my shirt pocket. Perhaps it signal is being blocked by the body.

Regards
Euan