Phonak announces Naída Marvel, the world’s first super-power hearing aid with universal Bluetooth connectivity

Finally! I just got a call from my audiologist with the news that the new Phonak Naida Marvel SP hearing aids will be shipped this April in Canada. Just thought I’d pass this news along to other Canuks who, like me, have been waiting patiently for Phonak to get their act together and move the high powered aids to those who really need them.

2 Likes

HA roll outs are always a crapshoot as to the date they finally arrive. Hope you receive Naida SP early April versus the end of the month. Oticon Exceed and Resound’s ENZO Q have more power than the Naida M, but your hearing loss is clearly suited for all three.

Sister is waiting for a trial on these. Audie said to try new Naida’s vs Bolero because of some new features. The order is said to be delayed because of back order because so many people want the new features.
Does anyone know what these new features are. I thought Naida’s have been around for while.

Well for starters the naidas will be using the marvel technology. You’ll be able to use your aids with your smartphone or your iPhone. No other hearing aid provides both. It’s one or the other. It will allow streaming from different devices. It will have a rechargeable battery. There’s more. Your best bet is go to the phonak website and look up marvel naidas. I too am waiting to trial the new naidas.

There’s nothing about rechargeable batteries on PhonakPro…

Phonak Naida Marvel SP - Size 13 disposable battery

Yeah you’re right. Got that wrong. That’s why I said look it up. Thanks for pointing out the one thing I got wrong.

I’m going to trial the Oticon Xceed against the the Naida Marvel. Have a feeling the Xceed has the power I need while the Naida Marvel might have better incoming sound. 675 battery a plus with the Xceed but the Naida Marvel I believe has direct streaming to aid. Oticon has a connect clip which I understand only last 5, 6 months and has to be trashed since the internal battery can’t be replaced. Always pluses and minuses when you play HAs against each other, but I’ll take better speech understanding over bells and whistles.

1 Like

Some people need the bells and whistles. Everyone is different.

Yeah, we have pre-orders in, but the SP shipping is being held up by Covid shut downs in China. We were hoping to get them in mid-March, but we’ll see.

As for a true UP, I’m hearing now that the development of the next Phonak UP is taking long enough that it will likely be released with the next platform (whatever is after Marvel). Time flies though, and that “next platform” could be coming late this year. Who knows.

Had a patient do a UP head-to-head recently and they rejected the exceed and the Naida B in favour of the Unitron T max for performance in noise.

1 Like

Well not all of China is impacted by coronavirus, but just out of curiosity is Phonak’s (HA assembly plant) in China located near Wuhan or in the Hubei province? If so then I certainly would expect delays in shipping.

I’m guessing we’ll see less and less ultrapower aids. I think there are a couple of reasons. 1)Most all candidates for UP aids are also candidates for cochlear implants and 2) More advanced bells and whistles on the latest aids are unlikely to bring much benefit to people with profound loss. I’m not saying they’ll go away–there will always be a need, but I don’t think companies will necessarily offer their latest and greatest in an ultrapower model.

1 Like

The Phonak Naida M SP is an example of gains for profound loss in a smaller package.
All hearing aids are getting smaller, why not the aids for severe and profound hearing losses.

BTE size doesn’t matter to me but obviously the “smaller package” is due to a size 13 battery. A HA using a 675 battery is going to be larger but you’ll get longer battery life and a more powerful HA. When your in the “severe to profound” group hearing (period) is way more important than size of hearing aid.

Posting your audiogram would be Helpful.

Bigger batteries have nothing to do with hearing aid output. Size of the hearing aid and how long the battery lasts, yes.

As mentioned by others I too would wear bananas on my ears if I could hear better.

Technology has made most electronic devices smaller, including hearing aids. The new phone I just bought has the computing power of my old laptop.

1 Like

My Marvel was build end of 2019 in VietNam.

However all of Asia is inter-related in products and shipping; and now in limiting the spread of COVID. Could be waiting on battery contacts from Wuhan. Or stuck because tricks do not want to drive through China. Or ships are not leaving ports on schedule while crews are tested.

(Of course a week’s production of HAs might fit in a milk-crate or fly in a Cessna, but I assume they do The Usual Thing and truck it to China Air’s daily overnight light-cargo flight.)

I am wondering if they are waiting on releasing the Naída UP to wait for the update to the AB sound processor coming. I have seen a good number of patients use AB cochlear implant in one ear and use the Naída UP in the contralateral ear that doesn’t have the CI but is almost a candidate for one (or is, but the patient can’t get it for a multitude of reasons).

Looking at the specs, the Naída SP Marvel is pretty powerful and quite close to the Naída UP B line. Am I wrong here? Hard to read all the individual replies…

Your not going to see Phonak roll out a M SP and then (shortly) offer a Nadia UP. There is always a significant time lag between new HA’s and many think the Naida M SP will be the most powerful aid Phonak offers this year and maybe next.

We’ll see. The SP and UP are geared towards different losses, so it is not like they are that great of competing products. My money is on development issues as well as waiting for the new AB cochlear implant processor that it will be poised to work closely with.

Boy a lot of guessing going on here. I heard that demand has been overwhelming. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.