Phonak ActiveVent receivers for profound loss?

I have new Phonak Audeo Lumity L90 HA’S, currently with a dome and P receiver. While they’re great, I’m certain they’ll be better once I have a custom dome. I have a high-frequency hearing loss that dips into 110, so definitely in the profound range. I’ve worn Earlens for the last 6 years but decided to switch as I was tired of using a 2nd pair of hearing aids for all my computer/TV Bluetooth gadgets. I did, however, love the earpiece, which was a custom soft clear silicone that was vented. Very comfortable, and it made it secure so that it wouldn’t flip out of my ear.

I’ve read about the AV receivers with custom titanium molds and love the idea that the vents close when streaming, which would hopefully prevent people around me could from hearing the sound intended only for my ears. Also, in noisy rooms to close off the venting to maximize speech clarity. They seem, however, not to be recommended for someone with my level of hearing loss. I’m wondering if anyone with profound loss has tried them and what they think about them.

BTW, anyone else notice that spellcheck needs to be updated for hearing aid/loss lingo? LOL!

If you can post your audiogram, we can check if active vent receivers can help or not.

Thank you! I just added my Audiogram, Fairly certain it is correct. I wasn’t sure about the word recognition scores. Looking at my audiogram, the sat/srt is R=55 and L-50. the dBHL is R 90/50 mask and L 95/50 mask. Speech% is 84% in both ears.

I’ve posted my audiogram. I’m grateful for any advice.

1 Like

If you find that consonants are being missed, frequency lowering might help with that.

I would be concerned that the “open” setting of the activent would actually be too open for your loss, but wouldn’t hurt to try. Too open would mean insufficient low frequency gain and insufficient feedback control. But it might actually be okay. Just see what the return policy is.

1 Like

You might try using cShell with the P receiver and vent of 1.7-2.2 mm. You might try SoundRecover to transfer high frequency sounds to the 2k range.

2 Likes