Paul McCartney has hearing aid difficulties too

From last week’s New Yorker magazine:

“No one in the public eye lacks vanity, but McCartney is knowing about it. We reached a large sitting room, and, as he plopped down on the couch, a hearing aid sprang out of his right ear. He rolled his eyes and, with a complicit smile, used his index finger to push the wormy apparatus back in place.”

We are not alone, that’s for sure. Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, Ozzy, Phil Collins, Brian Wilson and Huey Lewis are some I remember. Rolling Stone had a good interview with Huey as he explained how his hearing issues caused him to basically retire and how his tinnitus almost caused him to commit suicide at one point.

3 Likes

Except we don’t have a billion dollars and made a living in a rock band. And they don’t have to worry how much aids cost. Also the last time I looked they were also human beings. I don’t quite understand the point

3 Likes

Not sure there was a point… That was taken from a larger article. All those older rockers wear hearing aids. Phil’s hands are so bad he can’t hold drum sticks. Eric’s hand are so bad he can’t play any longer.

But, the article was interesting… as for them being rich I don’t think any were born with a silver spoon they earned what they have.

6 Likes

The point is that, even though he’s the famous person’s famous person, and knows probably everyone who matters, he still doesn’t have a solution to his hearing aid coming out of his ear.

7 Likes

It’s like a friend of mine got the same cancer that Steve Jobs died of and said he immediately knew it was hopeless because if even Steve Jobs’ money couldn’t save him, then ordinary people didn’t have a chance. He died about 6 months later despite his and everyone else’s best efforts.

Hearing aids are amazingly good compared with a generation ago, but as we here all know they aren’t perfect and for people who don’t make the effort to understand them, they may or may not work well for them.

4 Likes

And when you think about it, even though very wealthy and can afford pretty much anything, they still dont have access to better hearing technology than we do

4 Likes

Unfortunately most old rockers are not what I would consider roll models and have absolutely no idea what we is all about

I don’t understand that train of thought, but ok. Anyone that suffers from hearing issues has something in common with me and I appreciate their insight, even from old rockers or someone lifestyle I don’t agree with

2 Likes

My loss is genetic. Their loss is from loud music being blasted into their ears for 30 years or more. The article says Paul’s hearing aid falls out of his ear into the floor. I have nothing in common with any of that

I still don’t understand your ongoing problem with a light hearted post. Most people here are here because of high freq loss over years of noise pollution. A lot of those folks are of an age that they remember when the Beatles came to town.

2 Likes

It’s job-related hearing loss.

2 Likes

Maybe. Rush Limbaugh lost his hearing from abusing drugs. So who really knows

Or maybe it was from all the screaming

And everyone relax. I enjoyed listening to the 60s music. But as I got older I realized that a lot of petty differences went on with people with a lot of talent but swelled egos who didn’t necessarily treat other people nicely. They were just people who didn’t make a lot of smart decisions. God’s they were not as Donovan almost said. Does that sound like I’m taking this thread all that seriously. Please don’t interpret for me what I may be saying

… So, then - why bother posting anything?

Just sayin’

2 Likes

I think you’re allowed to voice your opinion. You don’t have to read it. McCartney made the Beatles practice Maxwell’s silver hammer 54 times. I’d be afraid to ask him what time it is. All I did was respond to the op. That’s what this form is all about. One person’s hearing loss has nothing to do with another’s . And if one person’s talent makes him an expert in another area than we are all experts.Loved the Beatles. But I don’t recall them walking on water. Just saying

2 Likes

@hass5744: Yes, I understand that he was a bit of a tyrant. I’ll bet they weren’t wearing hearing protection, either.

1 Like

No they probably weren’t. Nobody did back then. Nobody knew. Which means they probably wouldn’t have anything enlightening to say. And I’m not knocking McCartney. He probably saved the Beatles. Lennon was even worse. I mean Yoko Ono. Come on. But Pete Townshend suffered hearing loss too. Pretty painful from what I’ve read. Nobody knew about hearing protection back then. Bands now all wear hearing protection. Good. But my point is just because they’re all famous I doubt they could tell us anything we don’t already know. Huey Lewis became suicidal when he learned of his hearing loss and his inability to perform. Maybe these talented people should be talking to the members of this forum who seem to accept their loss and learned to live with it. That was my whole point

2 Likes

@hass5744: Sorry - I didn’t grasp all that from reading your first laconic post. :joy:

1 Like