Oticon Real and Bluetooth Connection to 3.5mm Output Source

I’ll be on a few planes and tour buses (with headphones explaining sites) in the next few weeks would like to explore options for redirecting sound from a 3.5mm output source to my Oticon Reals.

For reading different posts, it seems like I can pair a BT transmitter (plugged into the audio source) with my Oticon Clip which in turn is paired with my Oticon Reals. Is this a viable option? I realize I could bring along my own set of BT headphones with large ear cups and connect them directly to the BT transmitter but would prefer, if possible, to hear everything through the Reals.

I did try to see if I could pair my Oticon HAs directly to the BT Trans/Receiver 1Mii device but I couldn’t see how to pair my HAs directly with the BT device (which was in Transmitter mode). It seems like the Oticons HAs can’t connect directly to an audio that isn’t iOS (I only have Apple devices) based? Is that correct?

Any and all advice appreciated.

You would need the EDUMic. Itbis mostly for students in classes to bet hear teachers and other media. It does have the audio cable connection. It isn’t cheap but I believe may be your only option unless you have a set ove over the ear headphones that you can wear over your ears and aids. That is what i do.

2 Likes

As far as I know, you would need a transmitter that uses Apple’s MFi for hearing aids or possibly a device that can use the android version of that (ASHA). MFi and ASHA operate in the same frequency band as Bluetooth but are not standard Bluetooth. Oticon has a list of phones that are compatible with your aids but I haven’t seen a list of other devices supporting MFi or ASHA if they even exist.

I think cvkemp’s suggestion of an EDUMic is the best (smallest and most convenient) but you could assemble a larger and more inconvenient device yourself. First procure a TV Adapter 3, a small USB power pack and a Y cable with RCA plugs for stereo and a 3.5 mm jack or plug. You can probably find a TV Adapter 3 for a lower cost than an EDUMic. The TV Adapter 3 transmits directly to your aids as does the EDUMic. If you are using a backpack on your travels, the assembly would not take too much room. :wink:

2 Likes

I use the EDUmic. It works GREAT.

I also have a Roger receiver that plugs into the EDUmic and I use it with a Roger On. This works much better than the EDUmic or the ConnectClip

The EDUmic is $399 for a new one on eBay

2 Likes

If your aids have telecoil, you can plug a neckloop into the 3.5 mm jack.

I want to add that the telecoil needs to be “enabled” by your audiologist ahead of time and you should consider whether you want a mix of sound so you can hear others around you also or just focus on the tour guide if there is noise. Having two settings (T only and M+T) gives you both options.

I love my t-coil as an interface even though I live in an area without many looped venues. I love EduMic too for the ability to adjust settings in the oticon app.

Try out whatever solution you settle on ahead of time so you don’t end up disappointed. You could go to a movie or any place that provides audio receivers with a headphone jack to ensure it’s going to work and you’re familiar with how to do it and can practice.

2 Likes