Oticon real 1 white noise

Another white noise issue here . I have good low frequency hearing and poor high so i understand why im hearing it but its more than annoying. In My Music mode the white noise is hardly noticeable but not a good program for regular hearing. Hopefully, audiologist can figure out a solution before i purchase. Used phonak demo briefly and no white noise there but like the sound of the Oticon.

This may or not be same thing, but is sounds similar.

I’m my case I’ve found white noise is the HA picking up quiet ambient noises and presenting it as intrusive mid range hiss.

My Audi tweaked the settings for me. Specifically, the amount of amplification the lower sound level ambient noises (gentle fridge hum, dishwasher swishes, air in the ducts) were being given.

Before the settings change, I found that using the app to lower the mid frequnces quietened the hiss to an unnoticeable level.

Hope this helps, cause the hiss is annoying!

1 Like

Ok thanks, unfortunately the equalizer only works while streaming, not through the mics. Hopefully, they can adjust the settings next appt.
Not sure why you can’t use the equalizer with all the programs through the mics. It would be a useful feature.

2 Likes

That is unusual, but I guess Oticon have their reasons.

Things to think about to help your audi;
Does the noise only happen when streaming, and streaming what device, app, etc? Does it happen in a dead quiet room? In specific programs/modes?

The more they have the better to track it down and get it gone for good.

1 Like

This is a common issue for Oticon users with normal low frequency hearing.

Silencer Control is the setting your AuD should turn on to fix this issue.

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/uploads/default/original/2X/2/2658c8c0f2ef164458d44257dd5fd63e75d32c82.png

Good Luck

1 Like

Sounds like compression settings, which won’t be there in the music program. My Audiologist spent a lot of time on this, and is used to boost the quiet speakers so you can hear them in a noisy environment. Yours are still picking up these fan noises. Maybe a more focused setting would help?

1 Like

The Silencer Control is usually ON by default and is not even displayed as a control choice on Genie 2, unless the HCP chooses to display this option on Genie 2 explicitly so that it can be deliberately turned OFF for some reason.

So if one doesn’t even see the Silencer Control option on display in Genie 2 normally, then it can safely be assumed that it’s ON.

I really can’t think of a good reason why anybody would want to turn it OFF on purpose. That’s why Oticon deliberately hides this option from the Genie 2 menu in the first place so that it cannot be turned OFF by mistake.

The point for me saying all this is that the white noise that some of the posters here hear is most likely not due to the Silencer Control being set to OFF, because it’s almost always ON unless it’s deliberately gets put on display as an option so that it can be turned OFF.

1 Like

Have your HCP check to see if the program where you hear the white noise has the Directionality Settings in the MoreSound Intelligence menu (Oticon forgot to more appropriately rename it to RealSound Intelligence) is set to Full Directionality or not. If it’s set to Full Directionality, this beam forming directional mode tends to cause a low frequency roll-off that would be compensated by the system through amplification at the low ends, resulting in higher internal microphone static noise levels. This is not an Oticon-specific issue. Any brand/model hearing aids that using directional beam forming will have this low frequency roll-off phenomenon happen to them. Usually directional beam forming is turned on only in noisy environments, so a soft low frequency white noise in an otherwise noisy place is usually not obviously noticeable in the first place. But if you have Full Directional enabled and you’re in a quiet environment, this white noise would be a lot more noticeable.

I’m not saying that the white noise you’re hearing is the low frequency roll-off compensation white noise. It can be some other kind white noise. But it’s worth checking with your HCP to see if this might have been caused by the Full Directional setting or not, at least if anything, to rule it out.

2 Likes