Oticon Own 1 First Impressions

Interesting. I’m willing to believe that these Own’s are not set up ideally, plus our losses might be different. I’m curious what controls you have available on the More’s (on the faceplate), if you use them and/or if you use any remote controls (phone or accessories)?

Are the More’s the same with regard to the startup jingle and beeps for changing tones? I wonder if they are the same except for changes to the wireless, or if the Own’s are truly different. Oticon might have literature that tells this.

I need to spend more time with the fitting, but with only limited opportunities to make changes I think that the 60 day trial period will zoom by pretty fast.

I will add my audiogram. I haven’t fixed that since this forum moved to the new platform I have ITC or ITE, so not the biggest, with a 0.8mm vent. One thing I like is the black faceplates. More trendy. :wink:

1 Like

I will say this the open paradigm of Oticon aids isn’t for everyone. I love being able to hear all around me. I live out in the forest and love hearing all that I can of nature. I guess I have gotten use to a lot of sounds others can’t stand. But honestly I don’t have any issues in restaurants that my wife and I go to. My wife will complain it is noisy, she has extremely good hearing for our age. I love the fact that I can hear people talk all around me even if I don’t full understand what is being said.

2 Likes

@grantb5 I’m not sure if your questions are directed at me, but I just realized that my previous response was confusing. The Mores are RITE, not CIC or IIC, so they don’t really have a faceplate. I had never tried RITE or BTE before, when I got the starkeys I wanted in the ear because I thought they were less noticeable (which I don’t care about all that much anymore) and because my loss is relatively flat my previous audi thought they might be better. I don’t have my audiogram on me, but my loss is pretty mild - it is basically flat, straddling the mild/moderate ‘line’. As I said I don’t have any programs, so I basically put the mores in in the morning and take them out when I go to bed - I don’t really do anything with them throughout the day. They do have a ‘rocker’ type button that you can use to adjust volume or power them on or off (and I think change programs if you need to). I also have the app on my phone that can change the volume (and presumably program). Since I don’t have programs I don’t know if it would say the number (like starkey) or just beep.

@grantb5 On the Own’s the start up jingles and changing tones can be lowered or even eliminated at Setup. The push button can be even setup to change volume (short push) and change program (longer push) and Mute (even longer push). Hope this helps.

1 Like

@grantb5: It’s a long shot, but - is there any chance these are cheesy, off-shore knockoffs rather than the real Swedish deal? (It’s the jingle that’s got my antennas jangling).

Danish.

Unlikely: I’ve not heard of anyone knocking out pretend ITE.

2 Likes

My Philips Hearlink aids have a startup “jingle” too. It’s not just a series of 10 beeps like all ReSound aids I’ve had.

Unlikely that they are not the real deal. The chain of custody is pretty solid. The jingle is just so awful though. One bass or root note and a horrible melody on top of it. So utterly bad compared to the Starkey jingle of 6+ years ago. I did turn it off. I would have killed myself by now if I had to hear that every day.

1 Like

I turned the jingle (cough, spit) off. I did not see any way to reassign the controls. Only checkboxes to enable and disable them. I will look again though. The software is on another PC so I might have to do screen caps and mail them to myself in order to post here. Because they were built with volume controls, I wonder if that affects the options available to me. I would love to use just the buttons and disable the VC pots.

I would say my best hope would be to find someone other then myself or my audiologist to program them. My audiologist has not done much Oticon and I less (but at least I know what I’m hearing). I’ve heard scenarios where the Oticon rep will personally assist so that’s an outside possibility.

@Um_bongo: I would have thought that, with the advent of OTC and the plethora of ITC models available, that a brand name ITC would be a perfect target for counterfeiting.

I’m happy to be wrong on this one, though!

1 Like

@grantb5 The setting are on the END FITTING page of Genie 2. Look for “Buttons and Indicators” on the left hand column.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Thanks, yes that is exactly what I see, but none of the elements in the top half of the window are adjustable. It seems to be only informational. The bottom half where you see the checkboxes, I can enable and disable those features. Happy to be wrong though! Maybe there is a certain order of operation to those software things?

1 Like

@grantb5 I can’t stress enough the importance of REM!!! Just yesterday I fitted a client with Oticon MORE 3 devices. The initial programming was so horribly off the mark. There was a giant peak centered at 2 kHz that was well above her prescriptive target, and there was significant under-amplification under 1 kHz. Manufacturer’s often get their estimated targets severely wrong because they have no way of accounting for the unique shape and size of each user’s ear canals, and how that effects the frequency response of sounds that resonate through that space. If I had let her walk out the door with the default settings I’m positive she would have told me that the aids sound like dog sh*t! It’s very plausible that your dissappointing experience thus far is caused by very poor estimation of your prescription/targets.

2 Likes

@louie in a case like that, if REM is not an option would IN-SITU adjustments available in GENIE 2 be a viable option?

I recently ordered the Oticon Own IIC (the smallest size) Level 1 with all features. In about 2 weeks I will test them. I have almost same hearing loss as in the picture:

I’m currently using Eargo 5, it’s not perfect for me but better than nothing.
After your post I’m now worried if I won’t hear fire alarms or similar sounds with Oticon Own?

please help, have you tried Oticon own and want to share some information. will Oticon own block certain sounds like fire alarms? i work in a place where fire alarms can go off sometimes and i need to hear it.

Absolutely not. You’ll definitely hear a fire alarm.

thanks for your reply. it is very important for me to hear these warnings my audiologist said Oticon own will be much better than Oticon opn. so hope that’s right. the most important thing for me to hear these warnings.