Oticon OPN-S wearers---any sound issues?

Using my Note 8, I have setup a folder for all HA related troubles and make a note each visit to what the adjustment was for each issue. Working really well so far for my shoddy memory and for keeping track what changes have been made and what is helpful vs not. Email is also something I’ve done occasionally, but usually reserve all the questions for the visit. Maybe a good idea to start emailing in advance, the day before, and that way she has the itinerary as well… Thanks for the idea!

2 Likes

I have a new Audi as of this last November, and seeing he is the only one in the VA clinic I go to he likes the fact that when I come in it is pretty much straight forward to just make the changes that we have talked about in the emails. It safes him time in the office and it gets me in an out.
This has worked great for me and him.

1 Like

Usually, the warbling is associated with the slight frequency shift (10 Hz) employed as one of the 3 traditional feedback strategies (the other 2 are phase change and gain reduction). It shouldn’t have a noticeable effect in most situations, but sometimes people with a keen ear like musicians can notice it, but usually on musical pure tones only.

I don’t know if this is the cause of your warbling or not, but you can try to add a program without the feedback manager enabled to see if this helps solve the issue or not. The other thing is that since you have the OPN S, there’s a good likelihood that the traditional feedback manager is not even used if the OpenSound Optimizer feedback prevention technology is already good enough to manage your feedbacks.

2 Likes

I had my OPN1Rs for over a year and they were never satisfactory. The batteries were a big problem. They never lasted an entire day. After a year of attempting to improve the sound quality and complaining about the battery issue my Audi contacted Oticon and they offered a free upgrade to the OPNS1Rs. I have been pleased with the upgrade so far the sound quality is better and the battery life is excellent.

2 Likes

UPDATE: So my AuD learned from the Oticon rep that the new feedback system in OPN-S is causing issues for “some users.” Supposedly, the Oticon engineers in Denmark are aware of the problem and are working on it. I feel vindicated that Oticon verified there is a known cut-out/distortion issue for some users (like me). We are going to try some other adjustments, and I may go back to using first-gen OPN 1 in the interim. Stay tuned.

3 Likes

I have the OPN-S1 for about a month for final trial before purchase and couldn’t find different from OPN-1 other than much less feedback. But yes, noticed the same of sound warbling/cutting (same as some one speaking in front of fan) . This goes with “O” letter (if speaker have loud voice) or if I whistle. So, I think this is drawback of the OPN-S :roll_eyes:

1 Like

But yes, noticed the same of sound warbling/cutting (same as some one speaking in front of fan).

This is exactly what I emailed to my audi yesterday. Whistling and when talking to me then a few people, I have been noticing it much more regularly.

1 Like

I read yesterday even on Facebook that The Oticon Engineers have agreed that there is a problem that they are looking into

1 Like

Ohh. So this is a drawback to new feedback manager !

And it drives me crazy as if some words/letters are spoken by a bird in my ear.
Now I know am not alone, which is somehow a relief.

UPDATE #2–Well, I just returned my OPN-S1R’s in for a full refund. I’m not sure which hearing aids I’ll be going to next, because I still do think that Oticon is best for me with regard to speech clarity. I advise anyone reading this who is having OPN-S1R issues that are similar to those I described in the original post above to take their OPN-S1Rs back to their audiologist and have them returned to Oticon. Maybe if enough people have a problem the new feedback system and complain about it, it will expedite a fix–which Oticon engineers are supposedly working on.

1 Like

No, you are definitifely not alone. I experience exactly the same.
Find my old post here.
Kind of survey, never had much traction.

My audi got some advices on lowering amplification, vent sizes that should eventually have allowed for having the OSO and the old Feedback prevention working together.
However, it never worked out for me.
I wanted both because it was the only comfortable way for me to work with my over ear Jabra headset on. I have a OSO only programme that is great until I wear the headset for calls (feedback). I always needed to reduce HA volume and increase headset volume. Not really a great experience.

Do not ask me why, but since some weeks without any audi appointment or adjustments, it just works with the OSO only programme. Until now I ascribe this to summer heat that may tighten the sealing of the otoplastics I wear. (Despite a vent diameter reduction that broke away.)

1 Like

@cvkemp, Is there any way you can copy that post from FB and re-post it (or a link) here? I’d be interested in reading what the engineers supposedly said about the problem. Thanks.

In my case, I don’t think vent size would help. Both ears have double domes. But sure will ask for tweaking the setting during my next visit to get rid of this bird in my ear

So, I went to my Audi last Friday and showing her the fluttering/ fan talking issue with the OPN-S1 . At the beginning, she didn’t believe till she tried one of the HA and I whistled, then she called OTICON. The lady at Oticon told her yes we got some complains about this and Denmark is working on to solve it. Meanwhile, she recommended to disable the feedback manager and give it a try then if feedback is too much, then we will need to adjust the gain (for now).
My Audi asked when this expected to be resolved, Oticon lady said we don’t know but expected too soon as this is coming over from everywhere and is a draw back to their product.
We disabled the feedback on the right side only and feedback is not that much while still having some fluttering on the left(will disable it too on my next visit).
Let’s hope they will not take too much time to resolve this :roll_eyes:

Sorry to hear that you have similar issues and the same answer from Oticon, @AshFan. I got a refund on my OPN-S1R’s because they couldn’t say when the fix would come from the engineers in Denmark. The feedback issue was not good for me. I hope that you can get a resolution too.

1 Like

The thing now, should I purchase the OPN-S and disable the feedback manager on a hope it will be upgraded in the near future or go back to original OPN ?!

Just my opinion, but I would hold off on buying OPN-S until they fix the issue. If you turn off feedback control, your audiologist will likely have to reduce your high frequency settings to compensate and you might not hear as well. Just my thoughts, but I wish you well.

Am thinking the same but on other side why I should pay for a technology of 2-3 years old ! Also am thinking, they will not take too much time to solve it as this may affect the OPN S sales.
BTW, I got to know that some people reported same issue with Audeo marvel . It seem that the recent feedback management is so aggressive which is causing such issue!

@AshFan, I understand your point about not wanteing “older” OPN1 technology. But I tried both. The advantage to OPN-S is that it is a little more aggressive on feedback (when the feature works properly) and it is LI rechargeable if you want that option… But in terms of sound, I didn’t find OPN-S to be much better than first-genertion OPN1. The “Open Sound Booster” didn’t seem to make much difference for me either. For the difference in cost, you have to weigh if you are happy with OPN1 or if you want to upgrade to OPN-S and hope they fix the problems. It’s up to you. Good luck with your decision.