Oticon More3 (vs More1) Might Be Capable Enough For Some

I think it’s probably configured based on the patient’s audiogram. Since your hearing loss seems to be worse than mine, it does seem to make sense that mine default to 6 dB while yours default to 8 dB. That’s something new I learned today!

There are a couple more things you can do that I forgot to mention. Maybe on your next audi’s visit if the changes you made today are still not quite up to snuff.

One change is to go to the Fine Tuning -> Sound Controls section and set the Brightness Perception there to Brighter, and the Soft Sound Perception to Detail, if not already at the right most max (see first screenshot below). I think the default values here may depends on the Selection -> Personalization settings you chose when initially setting up the More (see second screenshot).

Another thing to try if still not successful hearing your wife in the noisy car is to ask the audi to add another program and have it prescribed to DSL v5 Adult fitting rationale (see third screenshot below). This rationale seems to help me because its target seems to be sharper than VAC+ and even NAL-NL2. But if you go this route, make sure to ask your audi to do REM again just on this program using the DSL-v5 Adult target so you can retain the true characteristic of it. If the NAL-NL2 is used as a target for REM on this DSL-v5 Adult, it’ll probably end up sounding like NAL-NL2 and not DSL-v5 Adult anymore.

If your audi did REM on your default program which has VAC+ (the Oticon proprietary fitting rationale) but had to use a standard target (because the VAC+ target is proprietary and therefore unavailable), and he picked the DSL v5 Adult as a target, then the suggestion above may become moot because your default program may already sound like DSL v5 even though its original is VAC+. But if he used NAL-NL2 for example as the target for the REM on your VAC+ default program, then the suggestion above may be worth trying because I personally found that the DSL V5 Adult a bit sharper than NAL-NL2, which is a bit sharper than VAC+ (I don’t do REM as a DIY person so that’s why my VAC+ is not colored into a different standard fitting rationale).

Finally, I assume that your audi already turned on Speech Rescue for you (see fourth screenshot below). If not, I highly encourage this to be enabled for all programs in your case. Use the leftmost 2.4 configuration and you can try different Strength value, starting at the default. You can leave the High Frequency Bands ON if you want. I have mine OFF simply because my high frequencies are already shot so I can’t hear those highs anyway even if amplified, so I turn mine off to avoid the potential of feedback in those high areas which I may not even realize if feedback occurs in that range.

While I suggested above that you use Speech Rescue for all your program, in the beginning, you may want to leave it out in 1 program that is a copy of your default program, just so you can toggle back and forth to do A/B comparison to see how/if Speech Rescue is helpful or not. A lot of the high speech cues like “s” and “sh” can be heard much better with Speech Rescue enabled, so if you don’t have it enabled yet, it’ll make it harder to understand your wife without hearing that part of the speech range. Once you have confirmed that it is helpful and you want it in all your programs, then turn it on for all programs. Your audi would have to walk through each program to enable or disable the Turn On Speech Rescue check box in each of the programs.

1 Like

Thank you for the additional insight.

Speech Rescue is already turned on and if i recall the right hearing aid is set to 2.7 while the left is set to 3.0 I assumed this to be due to the difference in my loss from left to right or maybe because the audi was trying to give me more rescue range. Strength is about 25% in on both sides.

I will check the other parameters in your detailed recommendation. Thinking that I will look to make incremental changes to understand better how the settings change my experience.

Many thanks again.

Below is the details of the mapping for the Speech Rescue configurations. Given that your left hearing took a nose dive starting at 2 KHz, I wouldn’t want to use the 3.0 configuration for it, because as you can see, the destination band for the 3.0 configuration STARTS at around 2 KHz and ends at 2.8 KHz. And your left hearing loss at the 1-2 KHz is already at a whopping -80 dB. As you can see, the 2.4 configuration destination band is at 1.6 - 2.4 KHz, matching better with your flat loss at -80 dB between 1-2 KHz much better than the configuration 3.0. That’s why I suggested the 2.4 configuration, even for your left hearing.

Your right hearing loss is at the profound loss level at 2 KHz point already, so I don’t know why your audi thinks that the 2.7 configuration would be better than the 2.4 configuration for your right ear. Even the beginning of the 2.7 configuration at 1.7 KHz, your loss is already at almost -100 dB. Using the 2.4 configuration for your right ear would help move the destination band into more of your (already barely) audible range, so it would seem like a better fit. Heck, if there were an even lower destination band than the 2.4 configuration, I would even consider using that even lower destination band for your right ear.

The strategy of giving you more high frequency range coverage by fitting you with 2 different destination bands on your left and right ear, since their losses are different anyway, is an interesting strategy. But you need to also keep in mind that having different destination bands for your 2 ears can confuse your brain a bit as well. Your brain don’t get to hear the same consistent lowered sound for both ears, effectively registering different frequencies for the same sounds. I don’t know if it causes any kind of spatial binaural imbalances to your hearing or not, but for sure the risk is more compared to using the same destination band. So I personally would rather use the same destination band for both ears so that my brain hears the same consistent lowered sounds from both ears to avoid any confusion than trying to squeeze out as much high frequency range coverage as possible.

One other thing to note is that your hearing loss seems to recover toward the 8 Khz point. so the source band of the 2.4 configuration going up to 7 KHz should cover enough range already where your loss is profound. Between 7-8 KHz where your hearing loss get a little better (going from profound back up toward severe), maybe the normal amplification (by leaving the High Frequency Bands to ON), can cover that area for you.

At any rate, these are just the nick picking analysis I see. If this current Speech Rescue is already working out well for you, then maybe it’s a moot point. But if you feel like there may be room for improvement in Speech Rescue for you, then it may be worth trying moving both ears to the 2.4 configuration to see if it’s any better.

1 Like

Great to see the details on how SpeechRescue actually works and where the frequency mappings land. From the table in the screenshot I can see why Conf. 1 would be most effective for my loss. I think i will try this next.

This is the second time I see an Audi split my Speech Rescue configuration as was also done on my old OPNs but with different settings which may indicate confusion on how this works or maybe even varied interpretations of the Oticon training.

Can’t thank you enough.

I can concur on this.
Am going to try the More from tomorrow on. Started my testing period with phonak paradise P90r. Got crazy and stepped down to P30R. Way better without the extra stuff for me. At the moment I have unitron moxi 3. Yes, also bottom of that line and comparable to phonak marvel 30. And if more (and maybe widex moment) don’ t deliver for the extra money they are gonna cost, these unitrons it will be.

HI I hope someone with more knowledge would be able to inform me if the New Oticon More in a level 2 or 3 would be a significant boost to help me with speech recognition. (I will have to tighten my belt to get a 2 as I’m on a fixed income.)
I find it next to impossible to understand speech if there is someone else talking close by, the masks & barriers make it worse.
this is the report from my audiologist

“Otoscopy: Clear ear canals, bilaterally. Pure tone testing (Symmetric): Right Ear - Mild-Severe Sensorineural Sloping Hearing Loss; Left Ear - Moderate Mixed Flat Hearing Loss. Tympanometry: Compliance, middle ear pressure, and ear canal volume found within normal limits, bilaterally. Acoustic Reflex Testing: (Ipsilateral/Contralateral): Reflexes found within normal limits, bilaterally”

Word Recognition: Right ear - 96% at 65dBHL; Left ear - 86% at 65dBHL.

@innerharmony: I wear More3s, so I can offer a subjective opinion, but I’m definitely NOT one of the Forum’s audiology experts. However, I feel comfortable in offering the following:

1. The information in your audiologist’s report is not sufficient to answer your question about the relative performance of More3 versus More2 - probably nothing that you or anyone else can post here will be sufficient, either. You have to actually try them yourself;

2. More2 does have some important features and technical parameters that could make their performance in noise better than More3s.

3. That said, unless your fitter is well-acquainted with Oticon instruments, and understands the Open Sound concept very well, your More2 instruments may not get fitted to your hearing loss in a way that takes advantage of the additional features and adjustment ranges;

You’ve definitely come to the right place to find the answers to many of your questions, but - in the final analysis - it will be your choice of audiologist, as much as your choice between More3 and More2 that will determine your level of satisfaction with whichever instrument you end up buying.

I wish you much success with the Oticon More device. I have nothing but good things to say about mine!

1 Like

@innerharmony Can you post your audiogram up on your profile?

With word recognition scores like those, it is likely that any decent hearing aid will help with speech recognition in quiet. That includes the level 2 and 3 More. The Level 2 might help more with speech in noise. If money is a big issue, you might consider Costco if there is one located conveniently. Expect prices from $1400 per pair up to about $2000 per pair.

1 Like

thanks for responding, I have a pair of oticon mini-rite Opn 3 and they are helpful in quiet situations, but I still have the problem of not being able to separate sound if more than one person is talking, (especially with masks)
I was hoping to find out if the “more” would be that much better than what I have now?
I have an insurance plan that uses epic as a 3d party for hearing aids. They allow $2000 per yr towards hearing aids, so w/ my level of loss I had got 1 hearing aid one year & the other the next, also paying the copay.
The skilled audiologist I went to the 1st time was not in the plan the next yr. & I saw someone else, a hearing aid dispenser, who wasn’t able to program them properly for “natural sound” they were horribly tinny when he programed them.
With much argument I convinced Epic to allow the skilled audi to do the final fitting + comprehensive hearing test but I also had to pay him an additional $120 as well.
I emailed him this question, his staff said that I would have to pay for a session in order to get an answer?
I won’t be getting another hearing aid till later this fall and then the match in Jan 2022 & hoped to get an idea if the more is worth it or not?
Is Costco going to offer " more "

Costco will not offer the “More” (or any Oticon aid)

“More” likely the other way round, Oticon won’t be offering any “More” to Costco.

It’s interesting that I’ve come across a few occasions where I heard some forum members telling me that Costco HIS making claim to them that the previous Phillips version sold at Costco was the same as the OPN (it’s actually derived from the Sonic Enchant), then recently, that the new Phillips version 9030 recently coming out of Costco is the same as the More (just because it has AI, although upon close examination, it’s a very different).

I think William Demant would be shooting themselves in the foot if they decide to offer their flagship Oticon HAs to Costco. Don’t get me wrong, it’d be wonderful for patients if it happens and I’d be all for it myself. But it’d be too good to be true because it wouldn’t make any economic sense for William Demant to do it. I don’t know how Phonak did it with the KS9 from the Marvel, and now the KS10 from the Paradise and not cannibalize their own sales. Apparently, now there’s clarification coming out from Costco that the KS10 is not really the same as the Paradise (sans tinnitus).

New Audiologist I visited started with the Octicon base level no cost to me then recommended four levels starting at 1200, 1500 and 2500 never informing me of model name. Post contacts have been fruitless trying to get model of Octicon. Wondering if these are levels she was referring to.

There’s no way to answer your question based on the information you have provided here. You should ask for a written quote that specifies brand and model name/number.

FYI, Oticon More is available in 3 technology levels, not 4. They make several models, apart from More, all of which fall into a 3-tier structure, not 4 (if my memory serves me correctly).

You will be living with your choice for a few years - better make certain, up front, that you know exactly what you’re getting.

Good luck.

1 Like

Wow you guys sure know about this hearing aid! I was just fitted yesterday with the More 3 for a 4 week trial. It will be hard to gauge since this is the only one I’ve had. I have some loud tinnitus which it seems to be helping at the moment. I’ve been playing with the volume a lot - seems a bit tinny at times. The other one I was considering was the OPN S 3. Anyway, looking to learn a lot here!

1 Like

If it’s your first set of aids just ‘a bit tinny’ is at the happier end of the spectrum. You will adjust. I can’t see any reason for going for the older model unless it’s a lot cheaper.

2 Likes

@rhalljan: Welcome to our Forum/community! I’m happy for your success with More3.

I’m busy running errands today, however, I’ll be happy to share what I have learned with you, later in the day.

Meanwhile, please keep reading. The Forum is a gold mine, if you’re prepared to do a little digging.

Best
SpudGunner

1 Like

I guess that is the hard part, nothing to compare it too. I also think it is all I’m thinking about at the moment…lol! The real test will be when I’m at work tomorrow. Good to know that the tinny sound is normal!

Posting your audiogram in your profile may be helpful to understand why you’re hearing a bit tinny. It can be many different factors, starting with being new to hearing aids like @d_Wooluf said. It may be due to wearing open domes or vented domes when you may need custom molds. It’s not clear unless you post your audiogram, then folks here can begin to ask more relevant questions to help you out.