Oticon More TV Adapter connectivity experiments

Stop with the App!!!
You don’t need it.
Just use the native iPhone Hearing Devices App in Control Panel.
3 quick clicks of the home button or the right side button should bring it up.
The On App is a waste of valuable battery life for both the HAs and the phone.

I have none of those issues either, I have OPN. OPN-S, and Mores’ .
iPhone 6,7,10, and now 12 Mini, no issues.
I do get the occasional reboot and the occasional loud static sound when a TXT or the Phone rings (I have phone sounds enabled to my HAs)

But yes I do need it, I use the MoreSoundBoost, that can only be enabled with the ON app, also the only way to use the equalizer is with the ON app.

1 Like

That is true, but if I was having all the issues yu describe I would do with out it.
It just came out a few months ago, you lived with out it before.
I have tried it and it helps a bit, but not worth the trouble for me.

My aids are now set to give me great balance of sound all around me. When in a noisy environment and need to to talk to others I depend on the MoreSoundBoost, that is what was designed for. I have found a work around for my connectivity issues. I don’t have my issues with the iPad mini that I have so it is now my go to at night when normally watch TV.
Right now I am connected to the TV adapter with my aids and my aids are fully connected to my iPad and the ON app with no issues and the Bluetooth is disabled on my iPhone,I am not expecting any calls tonight.

For what it’s worth, Oticon support has been very inconsistent and confusing about describing what the OpenSound Booster and/or MoreSound Booster does. Their YouTube and marketing material describe it as one thing and their custom support gave a different explanation of what it does. I don’t have the link here handy with me but one can easily search and find the thread that talks about this confusion caused by Oticon.

Like @michael.letizia, I rarely ever use the ON app either myself because I can use the iOS MFI interface to do the same, and not have to worry about whether the ON app may or may not be able to connect to the aids. Even if it does connect on every launch, it’s slow to connect, and then it’s just another battery hog to put up with.

If I ever have a need or want to use the Open/MoreSound Booster, I would just create a new program in Genie 2 to do it. That would let me access it faster than trying to open the ON app then enable the MSB. If you’re not a DIY like me, you can always ask your HCP to create a program that’s equivalent to the MSB for yourself as well.

The equalizer for the streaming mode is OK, but I really don’t want to mess with the sound characteristics of how my aids are set up in the first place. If I do want to mess with it, say for when I listen to music, I’d just set up and use a music program for it anyway. So I personally don’t see the value in the ON app’s equalizer anyway. And it’s only available in the streaming mode. It can’t be used for the mic environmental pickup anyway.

1 Like

@Volusiano : I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: The ON app is, IMO just a toy: window dressing so that Oticon can say that they’ve got an app, just like everyone else.

1 Like

Michael,
Thanks for the tip. I did 3-clicks on the right side button of my iPhone 11 and got Hearing Devices. Now I just have to experiment with using it instead of the On App to see which is preferable. I assume Microphone level is volume. Left & Right presets are the 3 programs and TV adapter; Live listening and background sounds…I have to try those.
Joe

I expect there are lots of us who just live with the issue(s). I have an iPhone 12 mini with iOS 15.3 (current). Issues were there with earlier versions of iOS. I have OPN S 1 aids with firmware 8.0 according to the ON app (version 2.5.0). Genie doesn’t show a firmware update for either the aids or my TV Adapter 3.0. My TV adapter is connected to the TV using the digital optical input (fiber). The optical output from the Adapter runs to a Sonos sound bar but I mute the sound bar if I’m watching TV by myself.

In my case, if the ON app is disconnected from one or both aids when streaming from the TV Adapter, the MFI control panel shows the same problem (either one or neither aid connected). If one aid is connected, the MFI control panel selection of a different source (program or TV Adapter) switches the single connected aid instead of both. The ON app does the same thing.

I have found that shutting down the phone (power off) and restarting it daily reduces but does not prevent the issue. If I have a disconnect, powering off the disconnected aid (easy as my aids are not rechargeable) and rebooting it usually, but not always, fixes the bluetooth connection to the iPhone as shown by either the MFI control or the ON app. Sometimes killing off the ON app and anything else that might use bluetooth and then restarting the ON app works. When all else fails, I also power off the phone and then restart it (the 12 is fairly quick compared to older phones).

I live in a town house that shares a single wall but there are LOTS of wifi signals around (an app called iStumbler running on an iMac Pro with macOS 12.2 shows 28 WiFi networks early this morning with about 1/2 in the 2.5 GHz band and the rest at 5 GHz. I typically have 14 devices connected to my 802.11ax (WiFi 6) router and most are WiFi as only 3 use ethernet to the router. Two iPhones, two iPads, two computers, a thermostat, three smoke/CO2 detectors, and so on use WiFi for a network connection. So there may be interference but I don’t seem to have interference if I use a ConnectClip (with current firmware) to connect my aids to my computer. I do have to use a BTD 800 bluetooth dongle (shows as an audio adapter) in the iMac Pro to make that connection reliable.

I have not tried using the TV adapter with my iPad to run ON with aids connected to the iPad rather than my iPhone so I guess I should try that to see if it works differently than my iPhone as Chuck has found.

Frustrating that Oticon and Apple don’t seem to be interested in fixing the problem(s). That said, we have had all sorts of issues with some Bluetooth connected instruments at work (and in the field) so my take is that Bluetooth is NOT yet a reliable method for instrument or device control. I certainly don’t know enough to decide who is at fault but I suspect both the Bluetooth chipsets and programming have too many bugs to work reliably in complicated environments.

Stuart

I agree the only real use for me is the enabling of the MoreSoundBoost.

Aside from app issues, I tried the Oticon Connect for TV and there was just enough delay with the lips moving on the screen to confuse me even more. I still use captions.

I think most likely the latency you’re hearing between the lip movement and when you hear in the aids is due to the TV-to-Bluetooth latency from the TV, and not any latency from the ConnectClip to your aids. I say this because I don’t hear anybody (myself included) complain that there’s any noticeable latency between the ConnectClip and the aids, so more than likely it’s the latency within the TV itself sending the sound to Bluetooth. But it depends on the TV. I’ve tried using the ConnectClip on my NVidia Shield TV unit and I don’t perceive any noticeable latency from the NVidia Shield TV.

1 Like

Hmmm, could very well be. Thanks for answering. Gives me more confidence if I need an intermediary devise with a CI if that happens.

@cvkemp: Chuck, I forget exactly what benefit MoreSoundBooster is to you. Could you refresh my memory, please? (I can barely hear any difference when I have mine engaged.)

I.hear the difference when I’m a noisy environment such as a restaurant, without the MoreSoundBoast I can barely hear anyone at the table but with it I can hear anyone I am look at with ease. The other is in a meeting so I can hear an individual that I need to hear.

1 Like

Thanks, Chuck. I’m hardly ever in those environments. Perhaps I’ll have to treat myself to lunch this week just as an experiment! :joy:

1 Like

Most of.my meetings are church business meetings, VA group meets or the American Legion. And I treat my wife to a nice meal at least once a.month. Our anniversary is coming up on the fifteen of February.

Congrats! How many?

WH

I am the historian of my American Legion Post the officers meeting is only about 7 people but the open post meeting is around 50 people, we meet monthly. The Veterans meeting depends on the need, so far this month there has been 2 a week with about 10 veterans each meeting, there isn’t anything off the table because there are also staff from the clinic to answer the hard questions, I am there to hopefully get hearing aid connectivity issues taken care of and to encourage the veterans that are new to hearing aids.
My church meetings are weekly with anywhere from 5 to 50 people. And my weekly Bible study is nay 10 of us old guys. I stay busy.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant the anniversary. How many years?

WH