Oticon More Sound Booster Vs Speech in Noise

Yes, I believe so, Jim. I usually put the 2 programs that I use the most right next to each other so I can just do one click to toggle between them. But if you use the MFI or ON app interface, then it shouldn’t matter as much because you’re presented with all programs on the screen and if it’s hidden because it’s too far away, you can slide the scale until it shows up then you just do the one click on the screen to select it.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I had my audiologist do so I could test out various settings.

1 Like

@JeremyDC: Jeremy, can you tell whether:

1. The effect is an instantaneous “on”/“off”, or whether it “fades” on and off?
  2. Have you been able to discern whether the HAs are smart enough to apply only the amount of NNS necessary? [Sorry for this dumb question. I’m not quite sure how one would go about measuring the NNS applied by the “smart” HA. That’s why I chose the word “discern”.]

Not sure I am understanding your questions. I had my audiologist create a new program based on P1 with modifications to some of the choices (sliders). I have to select the program (P4). I wouldn’t call it instantaneous; it is either on or off depending on the program I have selected. They don’t fade in either. But I suspect that I am not understanding what you are asking!

@JeremyDC: No - we’re having a misunderstanding. Is the attenuation of sound you hear when you turn on MoreSound Booster instantaneous, like turning a light on and off, or does the attenuation fade on gradually over about 2 seconds? Also, if a loud noise begins, does the NNS attenuate it instantly, or over the space of about 2 seconds?

If this isn’t clear, please ask again.

Ah, yes and no. Yes, there is an initial change that is instantaneous and if there is additional louder noise, that the effect changes with the noise, but I wouldn’t call it a great change as I have noted in an earlier post. MSB doesn’t do huge changes; it is not like moving to comfort from detail, at least in my experience. I would be interested in hearing from others what their experience has been.

2 Likes

@JeremyDC: Thank you, Jeremy. I did read your earlier post, but I was not completely clear, so I asked again. I’m asking because - from a perceptual standpoint - it’s much more difficult to assess the overall impact of the effect if it ramps up gradually over a second or two. In fact, I realize that my questions may not be answerable outside of a laboratory context.

That was a great post though I’m not so interested in what I’m hearing but what I’m not. Now I’ve been in the More 1 for less than two weeks and not in enough situations to accurately judge their performance. But I was in one obnoxiously noisy restaurant and they not only weren’t spectacular, but weren’t really that great at all. Now they were enough better than my 3 year old Evokes to be noticeable but nothing to make me jump up and down with glee. Frankly I’m sick and tired of sitting in noisy restaurants and watching lips move while just picking up a word here and there. I’ll have adjustments made based on some suggestions by @Volusiano and I hope they do the trick but they’re going to have to step up considerably. I am beginning the think I need to learn to read lips.

1 Like

I have been wearing my More1 aids now since mid June, and really love them. I was in a very loud restaurant this morning, I swear that everyone around me was trying to scream louder then the others. My solution was to use the MoreSoundBoost and lower the volume of my aids by my me click and everything was great and I could hear my wife and stepson.

2 Likes

My Speech in Noise program works well in my opinion, but our expectations may be worlds apart. I’m getting older, friends are dying off, and my lunches are usually with one or two friends close enough that we probably read one anothers’ minds :joy:!

Our brains are already too dried out to take too much alcohol, so rowdy bars aren’t our fare.

My satisfaction with SIN was not always the status quo. I had asked my audi to crank up the NNS cap to its max values in both Easy and Difficult environments. That was a mistake - I experienced what you did. When I reverted to the maker’s recommended values, all was good.

I wish you the same good luck :four_leaf_clover: as mine!

2 Likes

The 1st fit is usually performed by the fitter using default values based on your audiogram, and personal preferences.
Since you’ve only been wearing the Mores for 2 weeks, your perceptions are being formed, and you need a follow-up with your fitter to explain the difficulties you’re experiencing.

At that time some fine-tuning will be done, and you can venture forth, and experience a change, hopefully for the better.

It can conceivably take months to get the satisfaction these devices are capable of delivering.

Keep taking notes, and communicate w/your fitter until you feel satisfied.

I started wearing the Mores in August, and only in the past 2 weeks have I been able to say YES!

1 Like

Thanks @flashb1024 but I’m an experienced user, been through all this before and I do have realistic expectations. Wants on the other hand are a different story. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I hear ya. Easy when there are Words to see right? :grin: I’m 72, no bars ever and limit my passion for bourbon to once a week or less. It’s wide open places like Texas Road House and similar with Covid plexiglass everywhere and sound bouncing in all directions off everything. I hate it but it’s life lately. As I said in my opening post in the tweaking thread Hearing Life is owned by Demant and so they push Oticon by default. I actually went in with the intention of trying the Paradise but decided to go ahead with these for the thirty day trial. I wore Oticon Alta Pro for three years (my first set) and was never thrilled but there a lot of happy OPN and More users so what the heck. The problem is that 30 days is not really sufficient time, at least for me, to get the bugs out and get settled in. But I’m thinking another 20 days with suggestions from users like you and @Volusiano and @cvkemp and others I’ll know enough to decide to stay with them or try the Phonak. I hate trial periods.

Thanks for your thoughtful posts btw. They’re appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks, Mark. I needed that, today!:+1:t2::grin:

2 Likes

I was a long time HA wearer (for probably 25 years) before I tried out the OPN 1. Despite being an experienced HA user, I was still overwhelmed with the OPN 1 when I was initially exposed to difficult environments, because I was simply not used to the open paradigm and there were way too much sounds available that it was a cacophony of babbles to me in noisy restaurants. Even in simpler environments, I was also annoyed by hearing other sounds that were not presented to me before. For sure I wasn’t jumping up and down with glee initially either. It took me a good month or so to let my brain hearing adapt and start getting used to all the sounds and learn what to ignore and what to focus on. It got better and better over time, and maybe after a couple of months, I was more at ease with it.

I think it makes sense with @cvkemp 's suggestion and try out the MoreSound Booster in very difficult places to see if it helps, and turn down the volume a notch or two or three until you feel more comfortable with it. Then eventually turn the volume back up when you feel more comfortable. Do come back to your audi in a week or two with your feedbacks to get some more adjustment made.

It’s too bad that you only had a month of trial with the More, but just try to keep up with it with a positive can-do attitude while you’re on the trial and maybe toward the end of the month things may turn around for you. If not, then just move on the Paradise. Not everyone takes to the open paradigm and some people simply do better with more help from the more aggressive beam forming approach of the traditional HAs, which is perfectly fine, too.

2 Likes

Again I did wear Alta Pros for three years. And though the technology has improved Oticon’s Brain Hearing was around then as well. And it’s honestly not that the open paradigm is overwhelming in a complex environment it’s simply that at the first setting there is nothing tremendously different. Speech is somewhat improved but nothing really significant. At least not yet. Noise is Noise and for me it’s extremely difficult. I have trouble hearing my wife when she’s moving pots and pans around in the kitchen. It doesn’t take much to ruin things for me. We’ll see.

They learn that in wife school. Retaliate. Clip your toenails during Grey’s Anatomy!

1 Like

As far as I can tell, the open paradigm didn’t begin with the Alta Pros, it began with the OPN family, which was introduced in 2016 after the Alta Pros. Yes, the brain hearing concept has been around forever, which is basically the premise that if you wear hearing aids and train your brain hearing to hear more sounds with the HAs’ help, then your brain hearing is more fit than if you try to hear unaided. So brain hearing concept applies to all HA brands and models, not just for Oticon.

But with the introduction of the open paradigm starting with the OPN, the concept of brain hearing became especially even more crucial because now your brain gets to hear more sounds all the times, even in the noisy environments. The OPN (and now the More) doesn’t really block out noise the way the traditional front beam forming does it. Although they do use a special beam forming technique (MVDR) to attenuate dominant noise sources to help rebalance the sound scene, they still let a lot of surrounding sounds in, so you still hear everything. They don’t block out surrounding noise to let you hear the front speech better, they clean up the front speech instead to help improve its clarity, but the competition of the surrounding sounds doesn’t go away and still compete with the front speech. So now your brain hearing has to learn to accept, adjust, identify, differentiate, and ignore and focus. It has to do a lot more than what it had to do back in your Alta Pros and Widex days.

In your example of the pot and pan noise competing with your wife’s speech, unfortunately that noise comes from where your wife’s speech is, so neither the traditional front beam forming nor the OPN or More can help much. Well maybe the More can help a little better than the OPN due to the DNN, but not by much because the pots and pans clanging are not dominant/prolonged noise sources but spontaneous sudden and short burst of noise sources.

But let’s take another example where you’re facing your wife in the kitchen and to your side is the fridge’s noise, and behind you is the TV, and to your other side is the laundry machine going on. Then with your Alta Pros and Widex, if you use the SIN program, then the fridge and TV and laundry machine noise get blocked out and you can hear your wife better thanks to the front beam forming.

In the OPN and More case, you can still hear your fridge and laundry and TV noise going on, albeit at a slight attenuation although they don’t get blocked out as aggressively compared to your wife’s voice. The sound scene got rebalanced to help you out, but the noise is not gone. So in this case, your brain hearing still has to work harder to learn to ignore the fridge and laundry and TV noise in order to focus on your wife’s voice.

That is why I said there’s going to be an adaptation period to let your brain hearing adjust to the open paradigm that comes with the OPN and the More. If you come in with the expectation of having instant improvement from your Widex in the most challenging situation, you’ll probably be disappointed. All you’ll hear initially is the cacophony that you described because your brain hearing hasn’t adapted to the new level of openness yet. The OPN and More don’t provide that kind of miracle. They will only provide you with a certain level of help in terms of rebalancing the sound scene to favor speech, but it’s actually going to be your brain hearing being retrained to the open paradigm that’s going to provide you the real miracle you’re looking for. And that takes time.

Another side note is that if you rarely ever go into a very complex and difficult situation because you’re retired and stay home most of the times. Then your brain hearing with the More is only going to be as good as you train it. After a while, your brain hearing is probably going to adapt and do pretty well around your house because that’s where it gets its most training. But that once in a while rare occasion that you go into a very noisy restaurant, maybe once every few months, you’re probably going to struggle nevertheless, because you don’t have enough opportunities to work out your brain hearing in those place that often in the first place.

2 Likes

I’m sorry Volusiano, but with the greatest of respect, no amount of “brainhearing” or “training” is going to adapt you to hear in a nightmare restaurant situation if the physiology of the ear won’t allow for it and you simply cannot tune into individual voices and are overwhelmed by a cacophony of voices. You are conflating your individual experience with Oticon and discounting other anecdotal experiences of people with more severe loss.

Yes - I get the point that brainhearing may lead to separation of sound sources but beyond that - I don’t think it works because the fidelity is simply not there in the high frequencies.

3 Likes

@glucas Precisely. For me, and I can only speak from my own experience, the amount of attenuation in the Widex, in the Alta Pro and so far in the More 1 in complex environments is insignificant. The Widex had a program they called Impact which did an acceptable job for the first two years but as my hearing has deteriorated they ceased being effective. As I said the More 1 has improved things in most situations but not so much in noise. I’m beginning to think there is no aid by itself that is a silver bullet. That’s why my initial intention was to go with the Paradise and a Roger device. I am hoping that adjustments will improve things with the More 1 to an acceptable level. I have my doubts but we’ll see. If not I’ll try the Paradise. I may have to come to grips with the fact that there is nothing on the market yet that fixes things for me.

1 Like