Oticon More or Real paired to Samsung Galaxy S23

Great news,Chuck. Glad you’re liking android!
I always have drop outs from my Pixel to one side or the other.PITA!
Maybe that Sammy w/ the newer Qualcomm SoC is more stable than my older mid-range one.

2 Likes

I really don’t know for sure, my aids would drop one or the other depending which jeans pocket I put my iPhone in, but I haven’t noticed that with the S23. Also with the iPhone if I was streaming if I walked more than about 20 feet from the phone I would at least lose connection to one of the aids. This morning I was streaming music from th S23 and I had it on my lamp stand beside my recliner and without even thinking about it I walked out to the mailbox which is about 50 feet from the house and my phone was another 15 or so feet inside the house, I didn’t notice any drop in the streaming. The S23 does have Bluetooth 5.3. Maybe that is the difference.

1 Like

Good point Chuck, Bluetooth 5.3 is supposed to be quite stable.
Anyways glad to hear you’re having success.

I am finding that my More1 aids have a very robust connectivity to my new S23 phone, I am using the Beta version of the Oticon Companion app, version 2.3.4., the connectivity to the app isn’t as good as to the S23 itself.
And added note is that my aids are also paired to my iPad and the switching between the two are seamless. On the downside the battery usage of my aids are somewhat higher but not so much so that I run out of battery life. To be honest I am much happier with the connectivity I am getting from the S23 than I ever was with any of the iPhones that I have had.

2 Likes

Great news.
Thanks for the update.

Another little tidbit: I am finding that calls sound clearer and louder to me with the S23 than with the iPhone. Connectivity to the phone is still much better than with the iPhone, I seldom lose connectivity with my aids with my phone in my jeans pocket or even walking into another room, now the connectivity to the companion app is a different story. I have tried both the released version of the app and the beta version and both will lose connectivity with the aids while the aids are still connected to the phone. The beta version of the app is much more stable than the released version by the way.

2 Likes

Just one random thought for your consideration… The Samsung Galaxy S23 comes with bluetooth 5.3. Only the iPhones 14 have the same - below that is BT 5.0 or earlier versions. Maybe part of what you are experiencing has to do with a more modern BT version. I am not sure if the BT version affects the mFI quality of connection though.

1 Like

Yes that could absolutely be the reason for the better connectivity. But I am getting back in the groove of using Android and the Samsung phone and I am very happy that I have switched back to android. I have come full circle when I left android it was a Samsung Note to iPhone 5S, so I come back to Samsung again, but it is my wife that uses the newest Note style Samsung the S23 Ultra. She will not deal with the phone without a stylus. And I never cared for using a stylus.

1 Like

This past February I had a pair of Oticon More HAs along with the Connect Clip and used it for one month with my Samsung Note 9. Bluetooth connectivity was disastrous,even with the Connect Clip, making the HAs totally unreliable so the returned.

I worked with Oticon tech support and there was no resolution. They finally admitted there is a BT problem with all android devices. I now have a Samsung S23 Ultra and would like to try the Oticon Real HAs but my research says BT connectivity with android is still bad.

Dr Cliff Olson discusses this in one of his YouTube videos.

I don’t know what they mean my S23 and my More1 aids are great compared to what I was having with my iPhone 13, or the iPhone SE2020 I had before it. My More1 aids are firmware version 1.4.2 and I understand that 1.4.3 is available to some users but my VA audiologist says it isn’t available yet for the VA. I also use the beta companion app on my S23 and it says my aids are at the correct level.
I am definitely having much better connectivity than I did with the iPhone.

1 Like

I’m way out of my league here, but I’ll throw out something. I know (or at least think I know) that over time a Windows system slows down and accumulates numerous software “garbage” and errors. Problems can often be resolved by a fresh install of Windows. Could part of the issue just be that a new phone with a fresh OS is going to work better than an older phone with lots of “garbage.”

Possibly, but my iPhone was always kept updated, and when I had some of the issues I had I did a full reset to factory and bypassed restoring from backup to get a totally fresh install it didn’t help.

When I lost connectivity with the Oticon app on the iPhone it will cause the aids to lose connection to the iPhone. But with the S23 I can still have connectivity with the phone when the app loses connectivity. My thinking is that people sees the disconnect from the app and assumes that the aids had lost connectivity to the phone on the android phones.

Could be. I know on my KS9 (Phonak) app doesn’t even need to be installed to have phone connectivity.

1 Like

With android have done have the control over the More1 aids that I do with the iPhone, but I don’t normally change programs, and seldom adjust the volume. So with android I have to have the app if I need to change programs or I can do it from the aids. Due to my aids being rechargeable I can’t mute my aids from the aids themselves I have to use the app. It isn’t a big issue because now my aids are also connected to my iPad as well as the phone and the transfer of streaming from one to the other is seamless, and it definitely was with the iPhone and iPad.

I think Oticon dropped the ball on the “Mute” function, for sure.
When I demo’d Phonak Marvel rechargeables, a 2s press on the down button muted them, and 3s to shut down If I recall.
You should install the ON App on your S23, and just use Companion for remote care.
You also have a remote, right? You can Mute from there.

With the companion app t does everything that the on app does plus the extra features the companion app has, no need for both.

I was under the impression the C app disconnects when it loses focus, no?

Not the beta version that I am using. The only time it loses connectivity is if the Bluetooth connection it uses gets blocked for some reason. It connects very quickly, a lot quicker than the ON app.

OK, how do I get the beta??

Do you use the Google play store? If so open it and search beta Oticon Companion. You will probably have to sign up to do beta testing on play store.

1 Like