Oticon More adds disposable battery model and MyMusic program

MrV, there’s a solution to your conundrum: just purchase a brand new pair of Genuine Oticon More1 Hearing Instruments with On Board Deep Neural Network (trained on 12,000,000 different sound scenarios).

Too easy! :joy:

[Joking aside - it would be fantastic to get some first-hand A/B comparions of Opn1 vs More1from you. Do you happen to know an audiologist who would be willing to set you up with a pair of loaners for a couple of weeks, all in the name of science?]

There was one who was on the forum that asked me to trial the OPN 3 and the Sonic Enchant for him in return for my honest opinion to be posted on this forum. He was a registered HCP on this forum, but he didn’t stay on the forum very long for some reason.

I don’t suppose you’re brazen enough to approach an audiologist with the trie story that you’re an MSEE who is a long-term Oticon user looking to try More1s without making a commitment to purchase?

See - I know everyone is different in this regard - but I think it would be in an audiologist’s interests to obtain a report on More1s from somebody with your credentials.

It’s too bad we didn’t have a section of the Forum in which manufacturers’ reps could monitor and respond to our questions.

@gkumar, Thanks for posting this. You use your HAs similarly to the way i use mine streaming all day long on a TV adapter for work. Would you mind sharing how long the disposables in the Mores last under these circumstances? Not sure if I missed it in the other replies.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not my style to solicit HCPs to do trials. The other HCP that I mentioned approached me based on what he saw on my posts, so I was OK with that.

3 Likes

I understand @Volusiano. You’re a much classier guy than me! Gotcha! :joy:

1 Like

Unfortunately, once you upgrade Genie 2, and do the f/w update on your More’s, the old music program is GONE!!
However @SpudGunner with a little research on some of Marshall Chasin’s programming notes for musicians, you could conceivably have your HCP craft a manual music program based on 1 of the existing programs. Mr. Chasin usually uses the Speech in Quiet, which in Oticon speak would probably be Comfort.

I agree the MYMusic program is a step backward in it’s default settings, BUT, I have managed to open up the frequency response and make it closer to the original Music program by doing some trial & error in Genie 2.It’s all about EQ ing in the More’s.
I believe I mentioned previously, that you could take 1 of your guitars to your next appointment, or better see if you can set up a remote session with your HCP, and play while you are in your own listening environment.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the trouble you’ve gone to, :zap: Flash :zap: (@flashb1024) My audiologist says he’s game for a sound check, but seems too tied up ATM because the little clinic is trying to grow.

They say they’re not interested in remote fitting for now.

That’s not very conducive to customer satisfaction!

You really need to get a el cheapo laptop & Noahlink Wireless, my friend.
With your level of knowledge, and love of music, it would be a crime for you not to be able to DIY.
Between @Volusiano, and some of the other More-Ons, you’d be Smokin’ & Groovin" in no time!

2 Likes

The Elbrus-8S is looking pretty good to me right now!

Nyet, Nyet, comrade!
That’s a wild piece of kit, but really, a $300 to $500 laptop will serve your needs just fine.
I’m sure Best Buy would have a open box, or refurb for you.

Or you can browse eBay auctions and win a 2016 model laptop for around $200.

Not for shipment to Canada, you can’t. I like the BestBuy open box idea the best.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Since Sunday’s new weekend battery change at around 11p with Kirkland Costco batteries, I had to change the batteries for both around 1p and 5p today with only 5m of low battery notice. This is approximately 38 to 42 hours of run time for 105 DB custom receivers. I also streamed 11 hours and 9 hours for a total of 20 hours on Monday and Tuesday.

2 Likes

From a quick glance at Best Buy it looks like the market has turned to solid state drives for all the low-end laptops. You want that for speed, not a leftover older model with hard drive. 64GB drive seems really small, 128GB is better. I got my mother (98YO) a Dell with 128GB SSD, and upgraded the memory from 4GB to 12GB.

@x475aws: Thanks for this information. It’s a big help. I’m 72, and have not kept up with Windows machines at all.

But - let me ask you this, if I may - given that my 2007 MacBook is totally defunct and all our other devices are Apple, would it be wiser to get a new MacBook and run Windows/Genie2 on a virtual machine setup? (The only real use I have for a computer is recording on GarageBand and a bit of writing.)

I so have a bunch of instructional DVDs that I’d like ro continue to be able to view…

You’re an intelligent, tech-savvy person, so your advice would be helpful.

Keep in mind the following system requirement for Genie 2 when you look for a laptop. This instruction is for Genie 2 2020.2 but hopefully the same applies for Genie 2 2021.2.1 which is the latest version right now.

Thanks for this input, @Volusiano. I did remember that there were minimum requirements for running a Genie2. I just checked Apple prices, and they’re way to high to commit the resources to running a virtual machine for one Windows app.

I’m going to have to go to BestBuy with these minimum requirements and see whether they have any sales or open box items, if I decide to pursue the DIY route. In that case, I’ll have to figure into the proposition the cost of NoahLink Wireless, etc, all so that I can make adjustments that:

1. VAC may not authorize me to perform, and
  2. Are already provided to me, gratis, the only downside being the patience required to book the required audiologist appointments.

Giving this some serious thought, I realize that I’m not so unhappy with the current performance of my More1 HAs that I’m willing to jump through these hoops in order to tweak them. It’s all well and good to discuss such tweaks here, in the Forum, but it’s another matter to be willing to invest the real time required to actually “get into it”. This is actually a valuable realization for me. I’m 72, and I’m not going to live forever. There are other things I’d be happier doing with my remaining time, I think, than tweak my hearing devices.

Of course, if I encounter an adjustment problem that my audiologist can’t resolve within the terms of his agreement with VAC, it may be that I’ll have to go this route.

Thank all of you, however, who have offered information and suggestions about getting into DIY.

An optical drive isn’t standard on computers these days.

1 Like