Oticon Microshell earmolds

Does anyone have an idea of the cost for Oticon’s new Microshell ear molds?

That would likely depend upon the country.

Right, just trying to get a ballpark figure.

How do the micro shell molds differ from other RIE molds? I have new Mire 1 aids in order. I may want to get molds later.

@prodigyplace: if I were you, I’d hold on and wait for the new genuine Oticon brand DTC receivers. (They’ll get you out of the mud!)

Is that something else new?
I only recently committed so have not done detailed research.

@prodigyplace: DTC = Direct to Cortex
:fishing_pole_and_fish:

[Addendum: @Volusiano could probably explain the transmission path better than I.]

1 Like

Below is a screenshot of how the microshell is different than the other molds and domes. I think it’s just the CIC (completely in the canal) version, but only houses the receiver and not the circuitries for the HAs itself.

I think @SpudGunner was just joking about the DTC thing. The closest I can see to DTC is the Cochlear Implant. The next closest thing I can think of is the EarLens brand that vibrates the eardrum itself. It requires an ENT doctor to install the device into your ear. At least these 2 types comes into contact with the sensory system directly instead of using airwaves to make contact like normal HAs.

1 Like

Micro shell is a deep fit. What is the advantage of that? Or the use case?

The Griptip looks interesting too.

@prodigyplace: Yes, my “Direct to Cortex” is coming, I’m sure, and it will probably be thanks to Elon Musk. But it’s a joke for now.

I’ve just had new molds cast - I’m waiting for them at the end of next week. I use hard acrylic molds that are very comfortable. I think the most important thing is that they seal the ear canal opening perfectly.

1 Like

I saw your fishing emoji and figured that out.

I have had molds in the past. Actually, wat back, my first aids were CIC.

From what they’re saying in that literature, the MicroShell probably stays in better (better retention) and is probably less conspicuous (aesthetic) than the MicroMold. But they mention a variable vent tube size for the MicroMold but they don’t say anything about the vent for the MicroShell.

I’ve had CIC type aids before which is basically the same as the MicroShell, but the closed end of it is longer (and hence becomes visible from the outside) because it has to house the circuitries for the HA. Without this part, this MicroShell may “disappear” into the canal and the wire coming out may not be as noticeable as the battery door of the full CIC type.

But the MicroMold seems to also have the advantage of coming in a soft silicone mold or a VarioTherm type mold, while the MicroShell can only be hard acrylic.

1 Like