Oticon launches Oticon Xceed power hearing aids

That was very informative @speedy. Thanks, I learned something new. Glad I joined this forum. I noticed your tag says “Registered provider” and you’re from the US, do you have your own Audiology center? If yes, please read my last comment above, any suggestions/comments on that?

Just because an audiologist hasn’t used REM doesn’t mean they have not set your aids up properly for you. REM is a great fitting tool to get the fit started.

A pro stepped, in and gave you great advice. Thanks Speedy.

The problem with visiting somewhere and buying hearing aids is the ability to get the needed additional appointments to properly tune the aids. Your profound loss would need that in my opinion.

3 Likes

Frequency transposition (moving sounds around) can only be done in the programming software, at least with the manufacturers I work with.

I work in a pediatric hospital, but I do have some patients who are adults. We always do real ear here (especially working with kids) - there’s no other guaranteed way to make sure the aids are set how they are supposed to be! I wonder if it may be related to equipment availability in Pakistan (more likely an education issue), but it is the gold standard to verify hearing aid output this way.

There are TONS of audiologists that use it in the United States, so as long as you find a provider that does real ear measures you should be fine! I know that Dr. Olson has gotten lots of traffic due to his videos so I don’t think it would be easy to get in to see him, plus the east and west sides of the United States are pretty far apart, so I’m sure you could find someone much closer who can do excellent work for you.

2 Likes

You’re right. This is the only concern I have. I will be checking other audiologists here locally to see if they do REM test. The reason I am gravitating towards Phonak is because the audiologists here are authorized partners so I am hoping they do a good job with fitting.

Thanks @speedy, your input has been valuable.

By the way, I wrote to Phonak asking them when the new model of Naida with Bluetooth connectivity will release and they sent the following reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Phonak with your inquiry.
Phonak does not have a Naida model that is like the Marvel at the moment.
The technology to make a Naida like the Marvel is not there at the time.
It is still in development and we do not know when there will be a release date.
Phonak wants to make sure the product is a high quality hearing aid before releasing it for purchase.

1 Like

My Phonak rep has told me for their pediatric line they aren’t even coming out with the Sky Marvel SP until early 2020, so who knows when the UP will be, as you experienced. Unfortunately they have been VERY slow to roll out the Marvel line.

2 Likes

Just talked to an audiologist here and they don’t have the REM machine, says it’s too expensive and then later made an excuse that it is not really needed because hearing aids have their own programming. I am confused. I believe that REM is necessary for proper tuning otherwise I won’t be making the most out of hearing aids. What do you folks suggest? Any input on this.

REM is not mandatory. It helps to do an initial better fitting. If you have a fitter you are happy with there is no reason you can’t get a good fit without REM.

In Situ fittings are pretty good also. That’s using the hearing aids in your ears with the manufacturers software to perform the audiogram.

The trick is a good relationship with your fitter. Your fitter also needs a good understanding of the software. Those two things will get a quality fit in a few appointments.

Nope, I was right, it does increase the frequency range.

1 Like

You will always need good and experienced fitter, with REM or not.

1 Like

it has the Velox S platform which means it will offer Open sound navigator, etc.
There is a SP and UP (for hearing loss up to 120) But uses 675 batery -the ultra power)

One reason hearing aids do not make hearing worse is that normal everyday conversations and other sounds occur at many different frequencies and sound levels during the day. If you added up the total sound time of an hour long conversation, the actual sound time would probably be only a couple of minutes at each frequency.

So even though the hearing aids put out a loud sound, it’s not hitting all the frequencies for a long time.

Now if you are around machinery, running the same frequencies loud for an extended time, hearing protection wound be needed, instead of hearing aids.

Does anyone have an estimated time frame on when Phonak will release the Marvel “Naida” version?

No idea yet on the phonak marvel Nadia but thinking maybe next year or towards the end of this year but really don’t know will just have to watch out for phonak announcements

I’d guess next year, but with no great confidence. Presumably they’d be Phonak’s first ultrapower aid with direct streaming.

I’ve been told by someone who works at Phonak HQ in Switzerland that it’ll be end of next year.

If true then that’s a “Huge” gap between when Phonak’s power aid (Naida V) which came out back in April of 2016. So a possible five year gap between the Naida V introduction and a rumored Marvel Naida end of next year. YIKES

I believe there’s a Phonak Naida B that probably came out in 2018. It seems like a Naida M in 2020 would be right on time. Admittedly there was not a lot of difference between V and B.

I sure wish they would speed things up in the Phonak R&D section. At 83 I am rapidly getting to the age where getting new devices would be a monumental waste of my dwindling financial resources. Hey, if Phonak want my continued business, they had better get on with it pronto! I hate being one of those poor souls who continue to do battle with profound hearing loss.

1 Like

Is anyone know what is the hardware difference for Oticon OPN1 vs Oticon Xceed?

thank you

Xceed is same as Opn S, but without Spatial noise management and Spatial sound