Oticon launches Oticon Xceed power hearing aids

The New Oticon Xceed is the World’s Most Powerful Hearing Aid

Oticon completes its hearing aid portfolio with the launch of the Oticon Xceed and Oticon Xceed Play power hearing aids for profound hearing loss. Hearing care professionals now have access to the most updated hearing aid portfolio on the market with a complete range of hearing aids, all featuring the Velox S platform.

Copenhagen, Denmark, August 20th, 2019 – Leading hearing aid provider, Oticon, is pleased to unveil two new hearing aids designed for severe-to-profound hearing loss which provide power hearing aid users with the Oticon open sound experience for the first time ever. Introducing the new Oticon Xceed power hearing aid for adults and the new Oticon Xceed Play paediatric hearing aid. With these new additions, Oticon offers a full portfolio of hearing aids, all of which are powered by the Velox S™ platform - Oticon’s fastest and most advanced platform ever - making it the most updated portfolio available in the market.

The new Oticon Xceed power hearing aid is the world’s most powerful hearing aid, delivering the highest gain and output in the industry: 146 dB SPL MPO and 87 dB full-on gain. An industry first, Oticon Xceed with Oticon’s BrainHearing™ technologies, OpenSound Navigator™ and OpenSound Optimizer™, improves speech clarity by 10%, reduces the listening effort that power users struggle with in most situations every day by 10%, and increases short term recall by 15%.(1)

Thanks to the groundbreaking ultra-fast OpenSound Navigator™ and the revolutionary OpenSound Optimizer™ Oticon Xceed brings a radical new approach to hearing care for super and ultra power hearing aid users by:

• providing 360° access to speech with no directionality limitations
  • delivering optimal gain with a fitting of 6 dB more stable gain proving up to 20% more speech cues to the brain(2).
  • ensuring consistent access to speech by preventing feedback and dramatically reducing the many daily gain reductions throughout the day
  • significantly reducing disturbing noise by applying fast and effective noise reduction, that cleans noise even between words, and can improve the signal-to-noise ratio with up to 11 dB, giving a clearer access to the speech signal
  • integrating 2.4 GHz Bluetooth® low energy for high-quality streaming of sound to both ears from devices such as TV’s, FM systems and modern smartphones, making everyday life easier.

The new Oticon Xceed Play hearing aid is truly setting a new standard among paediatric power hearing aids. For the very first time, with the new super and ultra power hearing aids, children with severe-to-profound hearing loss experience open sound and get 360° access to clear speech, thanks to the two BrainHearing™ features, OpenSound Navigator™ and OpenSound Optimizer™. Oticon Xceed Play helps paediatric power users of all ages hear more, helping them to better benefit from incidental learning, and provides better conditions for speech understanding and language development. Furthermore, Oticon Xceed Play is child play ready - IP68 certified, these hearing aids are protected against water, dust and debris.

“With the launch of the two new Xceed instruments we are ensuring those that depend entirely on their hearing aid receive all the support they can get,” says Thomas Behrens, Chief Audiologist, Oticon. “By introducing Oticon Xceed and Oticon Xceed Play, we now offer hearing care professionals a full power portfolio, from fitting level 105 to the whole new fitting level 120, and have made the open sound experience available for all users, from mild through to profound hearing loss, in all styles. We are very proud to offer hearing care professionals such a comprehensive product range featuring the most updated technology for their patients,” concludes Thomas Behrens.

Further news from Oticon:

• Oticon CROS, the world’s first CROS/BiCROS hearing solution with OpenSound Navigator™ and TwinLink™ dual-streaming technology, enabling people with single-sided deafness to hear and engage in their world like never before.
  • Bimodal fitting: new bimodal fitting tools are now available in Oticon Genie 2 and ensures Oticon Opn S™, Oticon Opn Play™, Oticon Xceed and Oticon Xceed Play hearing aids can be fitted together with most cochlear implants.
  • Oticon RemoteCare™, Oticon’s remote hearing after-care service, is now available globally. Oticon RemoteCare adds to existing clinic services. Hearing care professionals can stay close to hearing aid users while saving them the time and effort of going to a clinic for check-ups, hearing aid adjustments, counselling and advice.
  • Oticon ON App is being released in a new and user-friendly design.

For more information on Oticon visit: www.oticon.global and more information on Oticon Xceed here and Oticon Xceed Play here. All solutions will be made available from 20th August 2019. Please check with your local representative for local availability.

About Oticon

500 million people worldwide suffer from hearing loss. The majority are over the age of 50 while eight percent are under the age of 18. It is Oticon’s ambition that our customers - hearing clinics throughout the world - prefer to use our products for people with impaired hearing. Through passion, dedication and professional expertise, Oticon develops and manufactures hearing aids for both adults and children. Oticon supports every kind of hearing loss from mild to severe and we pride ourselves on developing some of the most innovative hearing aids in the market. Headquartered out of Denmark, we are a global company and part of Demant with more than 14,500 employees and revenues of over DKK 14 billion. www.oticon.global

(1) Ng 2019, Oticon Whitepaper

(2) For best practice fittings with prescribed amplification, Ng & Rumley 2019, Oticon Whitepaper

4 Likes

“Introducing the world’s first CROS/BiCROS hearing solution with OpenSound Navigator™ and TwinLink™ dual-streaming technology” Oticon CROS.pdf (259.3 KB)

Well, now I’m awaiting for release of Marvel Naida to make comparison with that Oticon Xceed.

1 Like

Does anyone know if and when there new cros aids will be available in the uk as i would love to trial them and make a comparison with my current nhs as i like my current hearing aids and they have given me back some sounds i wasn’t hearing but i struggle to make out clearly the sounds that are happening around me because my current cros aid zooms in on the voices closet to me rather than allowing me to have the ability of hearing everything that is going on around me and i like the idea of dual streaming through twin link and the OpenSound navigator if anyone knows when they will be available in uk i would be grateful for this information

@LRav looking on the UK Oticon website, no they aren’t available yet.

Thank you for that information I just looked on Oticon global and it says they will be available from the 20th and to check with your local provider for availability so i’ve Emailed Oticon uk to find out more information on availability

I checked today and still not updated on their website.

I installed the Genie 2 fitting software and updated to the current version. It doesn’t have the Xceed info yet.

If like last year it will show up in November or December

Change market to “Other”, and you will see Xceed. Attention, Xceed may be weaker than Dynamo!

Wow, won’t that damage ears?

I understand anything over 85db spl is ear damaging.

Bob

Well how can you make that determination without first looking at the Xceed fitting range chart? Have you seen and compared range charts for Exceed and Dynamo? If I’m correct Oticon came out with the Dynamol HA in 2015 so that HA is somewhat old technology. So I hope we are comparing apples versus apples. I seriously doubt Oticon went to the trouble and expensive research to come out with a new “power aid” that lack the power of a previous Oticon HA that came out four years ago.

If a HA can handle incoming sound level (be it at what ever db range) without distortion, who cares what the decibel level is. The audi and the HA user will set the volume setting at a comfortable level - per user feedback. When you’re dealing with someone with a severe to profound hearing loss, over amplification is usually not a concern as long as incoming sound and gain are manageable.

true point. (thankfully I have a birthday in December LOL)

For more info here is link

Reviewing Oticon’s website for Xceed, the company boldly mentions how the new aid deals with whistling and static if someone or something comes close to hearing aid. Well “big deal”. Oticon must think this is a real critical buying factor when deciding to purchases a HA. I thought people bought HA to hear better but Oticon must think they “hit” a home run by making a non-whistling HA. My 2012 Widex HA’s have not whistle once in seven years of use. Why - because I have a good fit HA mold.

Oh well glad to see a new power hearing aid on the market - but please stop with all this side show stuff like static and whistling if I put my hand near my hearing aid. You don’t throw out big bucks for a HA that doesn’t whistle. You throw out big bucks to hear better - period.

1 Like

I admit I’m not an expert.

As a musician, I’m taught that anything over 85db (A weighted, slow response) on a SPL for an extended time will damage the hair cells in the inner ear.

I’ve also been taught that 120db is instant damage.

So while I realize someone with profound hearing loss will need more volume to hear, what concerns me is that volumes that loud will damage what hearing that person has left.

Am I thinking wrong? Seems to me that the cure might be making the problem worse, which of course would need a louder cure, which would make the problem even worse, etc.

Like I said, I’m not an audiologist nor am I a hearing aid expert. But I do know a little about loud noise damage.

If I’m wrong, please explain so that I can understand and anyone reading my post won’t misunderstand.

Bob

Your looking at this from the perspective of someone with normal hearing. In that sense you are correct in your assumptions. Someone with normal hearing - normal ear/hair cells needs protection from loud noises short term and long term. But someone with a severe to profound hearing loss is missing so much (incoming sound) already that it’s someone irrelevant what the incoming decibel level is. As long as HA properly controls and processes the above average decibel input. As in “does not distort” what the person hears. At some high decibel level a hearing aid will malfunction, which in turns tells the user it’s of no use and also probably does more harm than good.

1 Like

We will have to wait until Oticon updates their hearing aid database. It’s not just full on gain, there are more advanced technologies than the Dynamo older aids. I will be doing a compare review of both the Phonak Naida UP and the Oticon Xceed aids.

1 Like