Oticon Intent 1 Short 2-week Trial

LOL! I just copy/pasted this into an email and sent it to myself - forevermore to refer back to. Geez that is a C L U D G E. I’m just sayin’!

I could go to my local antique store and buy me an ear trumpet, pull my chair close to the TV, and call it a day. :trumpet:

@DaveL No, I believe that the Compilot is a device for connecting aids to Bluetooth devices. I assume it was mainly used for aids that did not have direct Bluetooth connectivity. I am really not familiar with the Compilot other than I see you can get a bunch of them really cheap on Ebay.

1 Like

This procedure works fine with my More1 aids and M1 Studio Max.

My grandfather was an ill tempered old rancher who used something like a trumpet. He would yell at people and then take the trumpet away and tell them to say whatever they wanted because he couldn’t hear them anyway :rofl:

2 Likes

That is precisely the procedure I tried yesterday … but maybe “operator error”? Cuz I just tried it again right now and by golly IT WORKS! Tested it out on a Dr Cliff Youtube review of the Oticon Intent1, LOL.

Thanks for that prodding, cuz yesterday it simply never FOUND my Oticons. Right now, that same procedure worked and I got to this screen on my laptop:

I’m able to adjust the volume A-OK too! :grinning:

3 Likes

SBO Hearing? Not Oticon? :thinking:

Weirdly, when I just open the BT screen under System Settings, I get this:

No idea why that screen only shows the Phonak aids. “Nearby Devices” just spins and spins and spins unable to find my Oticons.

1 Like

I do the same, only put a finger on the “OFF” button on my aids. Keeps my sanity.

1 Like

Question for anyone out there: Do I have to have the Companion app open ALL day? Cuz I’d left it “open” on my Android phone, and hours later, the app had to “reconnect”. While that was happening (like the Apple spinning beach ball) my right aid just rebooted for no particular reason. If anyone has an answer, I’d be happy to know it!

I have the Moore, not the Intent, but I assume it is the same idea since it is the same app (companion). Granted I tend to be a set it and forget it type person, but I almost never open the app. The only time I do is if I am curious to check how much battery is left when I go to bed or if I am going out to a restaurant or something and want the option to be able to turn on the speach booster from my apple watch. So with an iPhone you definately do not need to have the app open at all times. I assume it is the same for andriod, but can’t confirm.

1 Like

OK thanks for that! It was just odd that the app could not find my RIGHT aid. And that was after it spontaneously rebooted. Hm. It couldn’t be due for a firmware update so soon? And isn’t that something that Notifications on the app would let me know? I’ll add it to the questions for my follow-up appt.

I’m now about 10 weeks into Intent 1. I cannot answer some of your questions on how things like TV connectors work but … if you want to switch between General and Speech In Noise, hold down one one of the HA buttons about 1-2 seconds. It will switch. No need for the app. I personally find the app useless and I can switch volume settings or programs faster on the unit itself than firing up the app and letting it connect with the HAs. Besides, using the app sucks life out of a phone battery.

Mr. Kemp: absent a second charger, you can always keep one of these small portable phone battery rechargers topped up and handy as a backup to charge your HAs should you lose power. I have a couple of small ones and a larger one to charge up phones, etc., if we lose power. I will be buying the travel charger later this year, presuming it has a built-in battery as did the one for the Real units. I think it could go three extra days!

x475aws: I’m across the river from you in NoVa. You might want to look into one of these online sellers who team up with local audiologists. My audiologist’s shop was teamed with one. I saved $2k-plus off the roughly $7k retail for my Intent 1s and two of my previous HAs. I have been using Ziphearing.com but there are a number of other firms. the tradeoff is you only get maybe a year of fine tuning with your audiologist and must pay for visits in future years. Not a big deal. It costs far less to pay out of pocket for that or hearing tests than you save by using the online outfits.

1 Like

I think this is the default button behavior for the Intent. But it could have been turned off on purpose or by accident for some reason by the OP’s HCP, too. Or it might just be that the OP simply didn’t know.

I fully agree that it’s faster and better to change programs and volume with the buttons instead of using the app. You’d need to take your phone out, turn it on, go to the app, open it, wait for it to connect, before you can do some of those things that are immediately accessible via the buttons.

Luckily, my Oticons switch from General to Speech in Noise with the button press. But I’m still flying blind by the seat of my pants here … I downloaded the User Manual and am basically learning how to use the aids. Turns out the audi didn’t activate the button functionality as the manual states, but I can always fix that at the follow-on (if I buy these). EDIT: F’instance, the VOLUME up/down function is not on my aids. I can only do that with phone app. :expressionless:

The speakers say they are P100 but there’s a number 3 on it, too. Any idea what that means?

BT seems flaky between the aids and my Android Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4. Even if BT shows the aids are connected, the call doesn’t always stream. I haven’t had to completely “forget” and then find, pair & connect these again - yet - but I wonder if there’s some confusion cuz I have my TWO pairs of Phonak aids and TWO Roger mics also paired to my phone.

You probably have an iPhone, but if anyone has Android, is that an issue with the Oticon Intent 1?

Much obliged - as always - for the replies! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m with you: LESS of the app and more with the buttons. I have the app open and sometimes tinker with the equalizer when listening to TV - I don’t have the TV Adapter cuz that wasn’t part of the trial kit I’m trying out. Too bad, cuz how can one make an informed purchase decision without using one?

Even with my app open all day, my Android Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 phone has no trouble staying charged for a good 20 hrs a day I’d guess?

The companion app in connection with the Intent seems to be behave flaky , see here

Maybe Oticon need to bring updates for the Companion App and for the Intent hearing aids.

I’m on Android 12 (Xiaomi) and have Real HA, and sometimes, very seldom, it happend that one of the hearing aids rebooted after i opened the Companion app.
But I seldom open the app, only if I am check the battery.
Since the latest firmware upgrade for the Real HA and the last update of Companion app the rebooting did happen only once.
And i have also installed MyPhonak app on the phone. So this works OK.

About the Oticon TV Adapter, this works like the Phonak TV Adapter, sound wise the quality via Oticon TV Adapter is the same as with Phonak.

Probably the wire length.

Did you get notification of this through the app under “Hearing Aid Updates”? That’s always been a concern with my Phonaks - NEVER notified about firmware updates needed on the aids or the charging base.

I wish I’d been “loaned” the TV Adapter to try out with these, but in truth, our entire home entertainment system is lying in pieces all over the room due to replacements and upgrades.

I find the phone streaming almost stressfully BAD. Not only is the BT connection spotty, so if I answer a call I never know if I’m gonna be streaming, but the audio quality is not good. Callers say they can’t here me occasionally, and their voices sound extremely harsh, clipped and the volume overall way too low. Augh. Maybe something wasn’t set up right when they were given to me?

I still want to try these out in a few noisy places, cuz let’s face it: Phonak is winning on the sound, music, streaming, BT stability and even speech comprehension in all situations so far. I used to wow myself with how much I was understanding with my Phonaks, but I KNOW the Oticon Intent 1 can do better. The audi I was assigned to at the clinic seemed more eager to get me hella outta there than spend a quality 30 min to ensure I’d have a REAL test here.

1 Like