Oticon Genie2 2020.2 fitting software update available

Genie2 2020.2 fitting software update is available via download site, or via your Genie Updater in your Windows Sys Tray if you already have Genie 2 installed.

Three new hearing aids are supported (More1, More2, and More3).

Note the new ATTENTION message that says “To connect wirelessly to new instruments, you must use Noahlink Wireless”. Guess what that means? It means that Oticon is no longer supporting their own proprietary wireless programming device, namely, Oticon FittingLINK 3.0.

3 Likes

I am guessing that “new instruments” specifically means More1, More2, More3 and plus all future new instruments.

I am also guessing that if you used Oticon’s propritary FittingLINK 3.0 in the past for an older model (for example, OPN) then you will still be able to use FittingLINK 3.0 for those older models.

Though, I don’t have an Oticon FittingLINK 3.0 propritary hearing aid fitting device to test this. So I will leave this proof to someone else.

1 Like

I do have a FittingLINK 3.0 and I did test it with my Oticon OPN 1 aids using the new Genie2 2020.2 software. The FittingLINK 3.0 still works fine with my aids - it had no problem connecting wirelessly and I was able to tinker with the programming on my aids using my existing device.

2 Likes

This is what I got in the new updated genie 2 software.

1 Like

Wow!! They have gotten rid of all the wired programming devices. At least for RITE and BTE models the following wired programming devices will no longer work;

• ExpressLink 3
  • Hi Pro
  • Hi Pro USB
  • Hi Pro 2
  • NOAHlink

For models More and onwards (at least for RITE and BTE styles) you can only use the Noahlink Wireless Programming device. Guess what else that implies? Firmware updates for models More and onwards can apply firmware updates wirelessly using the Noahlink Wireless programming device! Previous models required a wired programming device for Firmware updates. That’s a nice advancement!

2 Likes

Just received my noahlink wireles, needing advice how to properly save my oticon opn1 setting. My plan is create a new client on Genie2 save all setting and never to change anything. I will then create a 2nd client where i can play around with the setting, just don’t want to loose setting I have now. This is one step I dont want to screw up. I want to have the option to load old setting whenever I want. Thanks!

Step 5 – Save your Original Professional Settings (if any)

The hearing aid fitting software will warn you about mismatched settings when the DateTimestamp of the hearing aid settings is a mismatch with the DateTimestamp of your database settings and it will prompt you to choose which settings to use (hearing aids or database). You will get this warning the first time you connect your hearing aids. Think about why your hearing aid/HA settings differ from your database settings? If your hearing aids were last programmed by your Audiologist then;

• The HA Settings are your Audi’s last settings
  • Your database will have no settings when this is the first time you are connecting

At the end of each fitting session the software gives you 3 choices for where to save the settings;

• The hearing aids
  • The database
  • Both the hearing aids and the database

For your first-self-programming-fitting-session you want to use the settings from the HAs, make no changes, and save the original settings to your database. This will produce a database copy of your Audi’s original unchanged-settings in case you need to fall back to these Original Professional Settings.

Noteworthy is that when/if you return to your Audiologist then your Audi will get the same mismatch warning. The warning will occur even if you restore the Original Professional Settings because it is based on the DateTimestamp, and not based on a comparison of the settings. In other words your Audiologist will always know when someone has saved any settings to the hearing aids.

1 Like

Thank you Pvc, will the timestamp change if I just connect the hearing aid save setting and end fiiting without changing anything on the hearing aid setting. My Oticon are out of warranty so not really worried just want to know when timestamp change. I will be trying the Oticon more soon those one I won’t connect yet to my noahlink wireless.

Yes, the timestamp will change even if you don’t change the data. Look at a file/ any file on your computer using the Details-View that will show you the date and time.

Now go edit that file, don’t make any changes. But save it, and then exit. It has a new date/timestamp, right? Well this works the same way.

Thanks Pvc, appreciate your help and comment. I created a step list if you don’t mind checking it for me.

Genie2 save setting from Hearing aid.

1. Select New Client tab, create client and save client.
  2. Select Audiogram and enter audiogram information.
  3. Select welcome tab and select connect to connect hearing aid.
  4. Use setting from hearing aid.
  5. Bypass fitting tab because I’m only saving setting from the hearing aid.
  6. Select end fitting tab and click save and go to client step.
  7. Save setting to in stand-alone database and make session comment to easily identify the session.

Thanks!

You don’t need to bypass anything. Many ppl get confused by this. See if this write-up makes more sense;

Normally you begin each new fitting session by selecting a database client (which defaults to the latest fitting session) and then connect the hearing aids.

Upon hearing aid connection, the hearing aid fitting software will warn you about mismatched settings when the DateTimestamp of the hearing aid settings is a mismatch with the DateTimestamp of your database settings and it will prompt you to choose which settings to use (hearing aids or database).

When you get this mismatch warning, think carefully about why your hearing aid/HA settings differ from your database settings? If your hearing aids were last programmed by your Audiologist and you have a new/blank database then naturally you want to use the hearing aid settings from your audiologist. If you are replacing lost hearing aids with new hearing aids then your database has the only copy of the settings.

At the end of each fitting session the software gives you 3 choices for where to save the settings;

• The hearing aids
  • The database
  • Both the hearing aids and the database

For your first-self-programming-fitting-session you will want to use the settings from the HAs, make no changes, and save the original settings to your client database. This will produce a database copy of your Audi’s original unchanged-settings in case you need to revert back to these Original Professional Settings. Don’t worry about how to find it again. It will be the very first session. You can also tag it with a session name such as ORIGINAL SETTINGS. TIP: When viewing a client you may need to click an expansion arrow> in order to change the condensed view into an expanded view showing all client sessions, including the first session where your original settings are saved.

1 Like

@kel19 Would you be able to share where you got your NoahLink Wireless and how much it costs?

I have the OPN 1 and I have the FittingLink 3.0, the HiPro and the miniPro, all of which will be no good anymore if/when I upgrade to the More.

@Volusiano, I got my noahlink wireless from Amazon for $188, they do connect to my opn1 no problem but haven’t try on my oticon More yet. I will ask my Audi if ok to make adjustment on my own first before connecting them. For now I diy using my opn1 to get familiarized using genie 2 software.

1 Like

Is this 100% correct that a Noahlink Wireless will work for the OPN? I thought I needed the Fitting Link 3?

@Zebras, yes they work with my Opn1, I have not try them on my Oticon More but I’m pretty sure they will work with them too. If you look at the image I posted, noahlink wireless is the only thing that would connect to the Oticon More and it also work for the other one too. Fitting link 3 should work on your Opn but I don’t think they would work with the Oticon More.

I just bought a used NoahLink Wireless from eBay and it works just fine with my OPN 1. If you don’t have any hardware yet, get the NoahLink Wireless to that it’s forward compatible and also backward compatible.

BUT, what is not sure, and maybe @pvc or @kel19 can chime in here, is whether you can use the NoahLink Wireless to do a FIRMWARE update on the OPN or not. We’re assuming that a firmware update on the More can be done on the NoahLink Wireless because that’s the only hardware compatible with the More, but that doesn’t necessarily imply that it can do firmware updates for previous generation Oticon models. Unless somebody actually has tried it out (NoahLink Wireless doing firmware update on OPN) successfully and confirms here, we won’t know for sure.

Having said that, the latest firmware 6.1 for the OPN was release in August 2019 on Genie 2 2019.2 and has not changed since. So it’s probably safe to assume that there won’t be any further firmware update for the OPN after 6.1 anymore. So buying the NoahLink Wireless may still be a safe bet that’s also future-proof.

How can I download Genie2?
Thanks,

Check your PM (private messages).

I have Genie 2 2020.1 but the Updater wont run. Picking up new Oticon More HAs tomorrow. Any ideas why the updater does not run or a link to download the latest?

Many thanks.

I had the same problem. The installation log showed some errors.
I restarted my PC, downloaded the latest update, and manually installed it.
All good.

1 Like