Oticon - diagnostic test for hearing in noise

1 Like

Wow! This is great news. I can’t wait. Is a Beta version going to be available sooner rather than later?

Big John

Wonder how this differs from a Speech in Noise test and also wonder what changes it makes in prescription.

Video is not very informative on what the software actually does with the score, the white paper is a bit more useful. It doesn’t influence the gain curves but in the Oticon Real the MSI which is the control centre for environment configurations, noise reduction etc.
Potentially sounds like it might be useful in the same way I would utilise a Quicksin score to set this up anyway and recommend a product or tech level, set up extra programs (or not) recommended remote microphones (or not). Quicksin has its flaws though so potentially this will be more accurate and it will make it easier for clinicians who don’t utilise a SIN test to add this to their assessments.
However, with Quicksin being speech based I find it can be a useful therapeutic tool to help people appreciate their loss, often once the test is finished they will say - ‘that’s just what it’s like for me when I’m…’ so maybe both tests have their place.

1 Like

Which of their aids does it work with? Just Real or others (More)?

I guess we don’t know until Genie 2 2024 comes out.

What is not clear to me in this announcement is whether the administration of the ACT test is built into the Genie 2 software, or whether it’s done independently outside with a third party tool then its result is fed into Genie 2 so that the appropriate Genie 2 parameters can be prescribed for this result.

It seems to imply that the ACT administration is built into Genie 2 because they’re talking about it taking only 2 minutes to conduct. So it implies that you can conduct the test inside of Genie 2.

This leads to another question, which is whether there is an external hardware/software equipment to conduct this test independently of a mfg’s programming software or not? And how other mfg’s beside Oticon plan to make use of the result of the ACT test?

And another question, how many HCP have been conducting this ACP test so far? Using what equipment? And how have they been incorporating this result into their programming of the hearing aids?

As far as I can tell the process runs on the Afinity compact using headphones and the result can then either be entered or be sent to Genie via Noah where it’s used to set the most appropriate noise management options based on the result.