Oticon ConnectClip - audio cuts out

Version 1.4.2 does not fix the problem. The only version that doesn’t have this problem is version 1.3.0.

1 Like

Since my last post, I found that after a while, the same problem of audio cut-outs occurred with the More hearing aids. I was able to work around it by re-pairing, but after several times, I found that even re-pairing did not fix the problem. I also have a set of Real hearing aids and my experience is the same with them. I’m using a different ConnectClip, so I’m quite sure the problem is not with my specific ConnectClip.

Today, I had a remote session with my audiologist and she cleared the ConnectClip pairings for both the More and the Real hearing aids. They are both working fine, each with a different ConnectClip.

I will monitor this and will report back.

1 Like

Hi! I’d like to do the same (downgrade firmware to 1.3.0 [though in my experience, 1.4.1 was also fine!?]
My audiologist’s office told me this would require my leaving them the hearing aids so they could send them in to Oticon for the downgrade. (They offered me a ‘courtesy rush’ for the process – have asked them how many days I’d be without the aids.)
Was this how it worked for you?
PS - If you’re willing, please copy your response to jonfrankle at gmail dot com.

Hi, sorry for the delay to reply. After having my hearing aids downgraded to 1.3.0, I have noticed that the problem of the audio cutting out no longer happens. However, I do periodically experience either one of the hearing aids refusing to connect with the ConnectClip. Even without the hearing aids connected with my phone, the only way to get it both hearing aids to connect with the ConnectClip, I have to clear the pairing and re-pair them. Then everything is fine again. It’s definitely better than with newer firmware, but it’s not as reliable as my Opn S hearing aids, which are very reliable.

For the record, I am trialing a pair of Real hearing aids and they behave like the More hearing aids with newer firmware. They are unfortunately unusable with the ConnectClip.

It’s very disappointing that Oticon can’t get the firmware right for the More or Real hearing aids.

Thanks for letting me know. You might be interested in what I found. I had noticed the Connect Clip worked fine with 1.4.1, but immediately started the intermittent cycling after I “upgraded” to 1.4.2. So despite the post that Oticon said only 1.3.0 was reliable, they set me up with 1.4.1. I was told my audiologist could install only the latest firmware (1.4.2), so they would have to send mine in to Oticon (they promised a “courtesy rush”). Then they got the better idea of sending me new hearing aids, pre-loaded with 1.4.1, so I wouldn’t have an interval without hearing aids, or have to make a second visit.

Happily, the Connect Clip immediately started working fine with 1.4.1, both streaming from my phone (where it’s optional) and from my computers (where it’s the only way that works).

The problem might be different for your devices [I’m on Android, with a Pixel 6a], but 1.4.1 might work better for you. I definitely experienced problems like what you report, with just one hearing aid connecting at times, but I usually found that the other would come back if I simply power cycled it.

@jonfrankle I have used 1.3.0, 1.4.0, 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 firmware. The only version that does not have the drop-outs is 1.3.0. I’ve tried with multiple different ConnectClips.

I don’t think the problem is caused by my laptop, because I’ve used two different laptops, with the same result and I don’t experience the problem with my Opn S hearing aids.

Also, Oticon has told me that they are aware that there is a problem, but last time I heard from them, they had not identified the cause of the problem, so they didn’t know how long it would take to fix it.

1 Like

I’ve found it easy to just swipe down on the Pull Down menu , and turn Bluetooth Off than immediately back On.
Pixel 5a user.
CCip is invaluable, but a PITA!!

Hi!
I’ve got the same issue with the ConnectClip and the Real’s. CClip is new and the first 2 weeks everything went fine. Then the cut outs started within phone call’s and streaming from pc. The CClip is not connected to the iPhone.
You sure that this issue depends on the HA’s and the firmware?
For me it seems that the errors depends on the connection to the source. Watching the clip’s led’s it seems switching the source/mode just before the moment the audio comes back.

Hello,

Thank you all for your posts and information. I experienced the same problem with my ConnectClip 1.1 and Oticon More 1 with firmware 1.4.2.

I have an old ConnectClip 1.0 that had a bad battery and I had replaced by soldering in a new one I found on Amazon. I tried my ConnectClip 1.0 and it worked fine.

I went to my audioligist and explained the issue and told them about the information I had found on this forum. She called Oticon support and they said to try resetting the ConnectClip 1.1 by holding all three buttons while powered off, which I had already done. But then she took my hearing aids and deleted the ConnectClip 1.1 connection profile from them using the Octicon software, which I couldn’t do. Then we paired the hearing aids to the ConnectClip 1.1 and the the ConnectClip 1.1 to my phone (Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4) to test. The audio no longer dropped out, so this appears to have fixed my issue. If this did not work, she said she would have to send my hearing aids to Oticon to be downgraded to firmware version 1.3.

Hope this helps.

Michael

2 Likes

Just putting an update here. I am on my 4th Connect Clip and my Audiologist has been a saint with helping me with this audio issue. It works but then drops off again after a week or two. Typically I notice it happens when one of the aids drops the connection with the clip and set’s it into a loop of trying to reset the aid into the mode needed for streaming. Other times I walked out of distance of the connect clip and repairing caused the issue.

I seriously hope Oticon fixes the issue because it’s a joyful experience to use with my laptop for work meetings and video learning. I’m just tired of driving to the office to get it reset when it flips out. I do wish I could perform the reset on my own as a work around but I do not have the ability nor the proper training to do so on my own.

I assume you’re talking about driving to your audi’s office to get the ConnectClip reset on the Genie 2 software here, right? I also assume that you’re aware that it’s a possibility to do the reset yourself with a DIY setup, but what you’re saying is that you don’t want to DIY, right? Which is fine.

All I want to do is clarify that it’s a possibility to do the reset yourself if you’re so inclined. It just takes a Windows PC or laptop, the NoahLink Wireless interface (around $160-$175 on Amazon or eBay), and the free Genie 2 software download, and most of all, a willingness to DIY.

You don’t have to learn to do anything else except to connect your aids to Genie 2 and go to the proper page and reset the ConnectClip, if that’s really all you want to learn how to do. It’s not that hard if you just limit yourself to doing that and not mess with anything else. So it’s really up to you. If there’s a will, there’s (already) a way.

2 Likes

Necessity is the mother of invention.
The hardest part of a process is always the beginning; things get easier afterwards .

3 Likes

Thank you for the information. I don’t want to do anything that would damage the aids or void the warranty. I wonder if my audiologist would mind giving me a small lesson on the steps to take to do the reset and then I can recover the connect clip whenever it happens and continue life as normal! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well no doubt you’ll be waiting on the next platform release to LE Bluetooth from Oticon and others, they’ll be no need for these assisted accessories in these situations, although remote microphones will be here to stay in one form or another.

As long as your audi is aware that you’re taking DIY steps JUST to clear the ConnectClip pairing and nothing else and supports you in this, then you shouldn’t worry about voiding the warranty because your audi is the one who will process the warranty with Oticon for you. Just be up front and don’t hide what you’re doing from your audi and explain that you’re only doing it to reset the ConnectClip pairing if necessary, and not mess around with anything else.

3 Likes

I did reach out to my audiologist and wanted to provide an update here. She was not onboard with me adding or removing the clip on my own and as of this mornings appointment we sent the aids off with the clip to be checked out and to be reverted to the 1.3.0 firmware which I am not thrilled about because it has issues with iOS 16.

I do wish the medical professionals would also support DIY options when a workaround exists. I respect her decision and she has been nothing but professional despite the many visits to try and resolve the issue over the last four months.

I hope this update helps anyone who lands on this thread and experiences this dreadful issue or is planning to purchase the ConnectClip and doing research on it.

Have an awesome day!

My Oticon Mores have this same problem with the ConnectClip. I live in Australia. A few days ago the HAs were updated to firmware version 1.4.3 by my audiologist. Very early indications are positive for this new firmware, BUT… the HAs have now decided to stop communicating with one another and I need to go back to my audi to get them “re-linked” to each other. I am hoping that this loss of communication is not a result of an issue with the new firmware, but I guess time will tell. I will report back after I have done some thorough testing with the ConnectClip.

Cheers everyone!

I have been using Oticon More 1 Minirite hearing aids along with ConnectClip since September of 2021. I used the ConnectClip Bluetoothed to my Dell computer to communicate using Microsoft Teams and Zoom. It was a Godsend. Then I went in for a audiology check up and the audiologist updated my firmware and ordered me a new set of hearing aids because the batteries in my current set were degrading. The idea was to get a new set, send the old ones in for new batteries so I would have a spare set. After the firmware update, the ConnectClip no longer worked properly. The Audio and micorphone would cycle in and out. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Oticon support with no results.

I picked up my new hearing aids (OTICON MORE 1 MINIRITEs as well) along with a new ConnectClip. I came home and connected the new ConnectClip to my computer and it worked flawlessly - for about 10 days. Then it started cycling the audio on and off every few seconds. More time with Oticon customer support to only hear “there is a known issue and we don’t know what is causing it.”

BTW, I am a Veteran and received my aids and clip through the VA.

Thanks for the opportunity to post.

3 Likes

I’ve been in contact with Oticon regarding the audio drop-out with More and Real hearing aids. I own More hearing aids and I’ve been trialing Real hearing aids. I’ve experienced the audio drop-outs with both. Oticon is aware of this problem with both More and Real hearing aids. I had previously understood that Oticon was able to reproduce the problem with More hearing aids, but the latest information from them, which I received last week, is that they can reproduce it with Real hearing aids, but not with More hearing aids. Therefore, they have a plan to fix the problem in the Real hearing aids with a firmware update, but not yet in the More hearing aids. They have not provided a date when the firmware update will be available.

Since Oticon cannot commit to providing a solution for the More hearing aids, I returned them and will be exchanging them for Real hearing aids.

1 Like

I have used a Connect Clip for several years. In September last year I had to replace the old Connect Clip due to bad battery. The new one worked fine up until last week when it started to drop-out in the same way that many of you have described. It worked for 10-20 seconds and then faded out for 10-20 seconds.
I tried to turn off Bluetooth on all other devices except one to make sure that no other bluetooth interfered. That did not work, the same issue with fading-out. I tried to pair with another computer with the same result.

What actually worked was to do a full reset of the Connect Clip, i.e. holding all three buttons until it changes color and starts to blink. After that I reconnected the hearing aids to the Connect Clip and paired the Connect Clip with my computer. It has worked fine for a couple of days now, with no fade-out at all. So, my tip is to try to do a full reset. It might work for you too.