Oticon # 222 Li-Ion Battery for OPN S

Just a small correction…the Oticon OPN S battery is a Z22 Li-ion (not 222).

1 Like

This Varta made battery appears to have all the characteristics of the battery in the Oticon OPN S Rechargeable minirite.

I wonder where it can be purchased…and how difficult would it be to transport being Li-ion?

Any updates on this? Is there an option available for direct to consumers?

Been wearing hearing aids for over 30 years, very active and am outside all day, and burn through aids like nobodies business. Thought the rechargeable would be a great option but there needs to be some sort of backup so I’m not stranded when an apparently proprietary battery dies on me and I have no replacement.

Would love it if we were able to self-service these for times when audios are closed on the weekends and I need to get hearing back ASAP instead of having to wait weeks/months for an appointment.

If an aid company could design an aid that was sturdy enough to withstand the rigors of regular every day life, that would also be amazing.

You can’t ask your audi to order a spare set from Oticon for you?

In my opinion it is like everything else, depends on the relationship of your AuD with you and Oticon.
I was able to get a pair under warranty for free.
I have seen other comments stating that they paid $150 to replace on other forums.

Buying them from a third party would be ideal but no luck so far, for me at least.

Oticon doesn’t make them, they are made by Zeni Power.

Maybe you’ll have better luck finding a supplier.

Blockquote @Volusiano You can’t ask your audi to order a spare set from Oticon for you?

Tried that, but Oticon said that they had no process in place to ship Li Ion batteries to the Audi.

They insisted on my aid being returned to them to check it and install a new battery. Last time I did that it cost me $280.

I declined and ended up fixing the battery myself using a device as shown in another thread.

The battery type quoted by @michael.letizia is described as a 312+ size rechargeable battery which I suspect to have identical dimensions to the standard 312.

However the Oticon OPN S battery is a Z22 Li-ion which is physically different in size to the 312 size (see Oticon Z22 battery dimensions in my post a few posts back).

So this one will likely not fit, I am afraid…

I have to eat some humble pie here! The @michael.letizia second photo clearly shows that his battery IS the Model “Z22” which is exactly what is written on my OPN S Batteries.

My apologies @michael.letizia

Just to throw another wrinkle into this whole Lithium-ion rechargeable battery landscape for Oticon, @SpudGunner has the More 1, and recently his batteries had some issue and the HCP unknowingly replace them with the OPN S batteries, assuming that they’re all the same. But he continued to have some issue with the OPN S batteries, so he sent them back again.

This time around, Oticon revealed that the More batteries are not the same as the OPN S batteries, so that’s why there was still an issue. Oticon finally replaced them with More-specific batteries for him.

Another thing to note is that it’s not simply a matter of replacing the physical batteries and that’s it. You need to go into Genie 2 to “reset” to the new replacement batteries (fill in the serial #) so that a new set of battery statistics is recorded.

4 Likes

Do you happen to know what battery the More uses?

Sorry, I don’t know what battery is used by the More. If you have the More R, it should be fairly easy to open up the battery door and take out the battery to examine and see if they have any kind of marking on them.

The More uses a Power One 60L3 cell.
Can’t seem to find the Specs for it online anywhere.
Yet!!!

Got these from an audiology clinic owned by Oticon in my country.

Charged me about 35 usd for one.

They initially did not want to change the battery in the clinic and insisted to send the whole hearing aid into the lab for service, since I bought it unbundled from eBay, they refused to cover the service cost, only cost for parts if anything is found to be faulty.

Turn around time given was about 1 month. I cannot wait that long so I insisted to just buy the battery, they obliged, and I just replaced it myself.

If you don’t reset the HAs battery charge meter, the charge level readout will not be accurate. I learned this when the OEM batteries in my More1 devices failed after only 5 months. I also learned the hard way that OpnS batteries are not the correct ones for More.

Do you know what the difference was???
Mine were Zeni Power and these are Varta brand, so evidently there are multiple manufacturers.
Should be available aftermarket somewhere.

Mike

@michael.letizia: No, Mike, I don’t know, but the OpnS batteries began to give me crazy variances (+/- 30% difference between aids after 15 hours) that the audiologist said was caused by the incompatibility with the More1s.

I never handled the batteries myself, so I can’t answer your question.

Hi,
30% differences in what, battery levels??

1 Like

Yes - left compared to the right.

Yes, you need to go into Genie 2 to reset them

@bryankek: I don’t do DIY.

A perfectly reasonable stance if you have a reliable Audiologist.

1 Like