OPN firmware upgrade issues

Many USB to Serial adapters do not support all of the RS-232 control lines. We went through that headache years ago with the equipment I worked on. Any old adapter would work for normal text communications, but most would fail when the equipment (and PC software) shifted to a true high speed protocol that required all of the control lines, for updating the equipment firmware.

Through trial-and-error, we compiled a list of which adapters would work and only purchased those. Unfortunately that was so long ago, the list would be completely out of date today, even if I still had it.

Here is a detailed list of all the control lines, but I doubt it will be any help.

http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=61

@alpine1 - The pic you posted of the box for your adapter shows that it is indeed only using 3 pins. That is most likely your problem.

Here is a link to one that uses all of the lines: http://www.usconverters.com/usb-rs232-adapter-xs8801

Of course, I can’t guarantee this one will work in your setup, but it’s almost certain the one you’re using will never do what you need.

Before ordering, look at your adapter and make sure it has pins like the pic in the link to the one I provided.

1 Like

@TexasBob Thank you for the advice, it makes perfect sense given the “I’m almost there fell”. I will need a null modem mini adaptor I believe!
Is there something specific I should be looking for?

The simplest solution, short of giving you a course in RS-232 communications, is to just order the unit I linked above.

Before you do that, disconnect your present USB to Serial converter and look at the connector. You should see 9 pins inside, just like it shows in the picture. If you look into the connector on the HiPro, you should see 9 sockets to match those pins.

Unfortunately, I think your equipment is backwards from that. I think you’ll find pins on the HiPro and sockets on the adapter.

If that’s the case, you will need a gender changer to convert the new adapter’s pins to sockets, like this: http://www.usconverters.com/db9-female-gender-changer

Even with all of that, there is still a SLIM chance you will also need a null modem adapter. http://www.usconverters.com/db9-null-modem-adapter

I’m trying to keep it simple, so anyone else who understands this old technology will need to cut me some slack. :wink:

EDIT: You WILL need the null modem adapter. Your box says it uses pin 2 for TX and pin 3 for RX. The adaper I linked uses 2 for RX and 3 for TX. You will need all 3 pieces to make it work.

I’m pretty sure this is why PVC recommends staying away from the serial HiPro. You have to find an old guy like me that knows how to make it work with today’s non-serial-port-equipped computers.

USB is much simpler. In general, if the connectors fit, it’ll work.

3 Likes

You are correct in that my hipro has pins and my cable has sockets. Is there a chance that just a gender converter will fix my current setup? Or the fact that only 3 pins SEEM to be used on my cable I’ll be still dead in the water, I know at this point you can’t really answer that question. Again thanks for the very helpful info.

@audiometrix_hearing has been selling the Classic/Serial Hi-Pro along with the USB cable in a bundle. Here’s a link; That’s not the actual cable price (I just made it up to include individual prices in the bundle). He may also sell the USB to Serial cable separately?

Though, I really don’t know if this will solve your problem. Maybe @Volusiano could say if this USB-cable/Classic with Serial Hi-Pro combination has worked on Opn Firmware updates?

With my last correspondence with AM I s told they were out of cables and weren’t sure when they’d be back in stock. I think TB provided enough solid info to get me on track… Looking to see if I can find the same devices @ Amazon, I have one to return and a bit of a credit there… So I think…lol.

I do have a HiPro in addition to a MiniPro but my HiPro is the USB version, not the classic serial version. So my HiPro doesn’t have the firmware update issue that Alpine is seeing. In fact, if I remember correctly, I used the HiPro and not the MiniPro to update my opn to firmware 5.0.

I did some more looking and found a cable that says it supports all the data lines and has the correct pinout and gender for your application:

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/USB-to-Null-Modem-RS232-DB9-Serial-Adapter-Cable-DCE-FTDI~ICUSB232FTN

Here is the same cable with a better price.

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/StarTech.com-USB-to-Null-Modem-RS232-DB9-Serial-DCE-Adapter-Cable-with-FTDI/2741102.aspx

Again, I can’t guarantee this will work, but I do believe it’s your best shot, if your problem is what I think it is.

2 Likes

@alpine1 I completely rewrote my last post. I just want to make sure you see it.

With this new adapter, you won’t need anything else. This is your best shot.

1 Like

ICUSB232FTN for $12 on EBay (looks like the same one);

2 Likes

That’s a great find! Exactly the same adapter at half the cost and free shipping.

2 Likes

Ordered…,…TBC!!

1 Like

After you get it, let us know how it works.

1 Like

It was worth a try, an unsuccessful one at that. The new cable arrived with the exact same outcome. Genie2 will connect to my hearing aids and I can change programming I also added a music program to the HA’s. But, when I try any one of the 3 ways to run the firmware updater the connection to the hearing aids is dropped and genie states no programing device can be found. I tried changing the baud rate, the comm port and reinstalling genie2.

Thank you @TexasBob @Volusiano and @pvc and anyone else who offered up suggestions seems I’m at an impass with this PIA situation.
At this point I’m not interested in spending the kind of cash needed for a USB Hipro so I guess I’ll send them back to Audiometrics to have the firmware update…

I know I’m late to the party here and I’m not sure what drew me in but …interesting about the problem that programming works but not firmware updates. Did you ever try the product mentioned on the datasheet for the HIPro itself that I found and linked to back in that Original HI-Pro thread in Online Sellers?
The datasheet also says something about maximum 19200 speed.

Well, that stinks.

I don’t know what else they have going on in the HiPro. That has always been the bane of RS-232 communications… some device manufacturers just insist on half-assed proprietary implementation.

Yes @z10user2 I had seen the cable that was recommended via your link but I went a different route for unknown reasoning. So if I feel a lil more punishment is in order and I order the Iogear cable I will also need
which one of these 2 items, assuming they are different from each other.

DB9 F/F Serial RS232 Mini Gender Changer (Coupler)
Or
DB9 Female / DB9 Female Null Modem Mini Adapter

Hey…I wasn’t taking anything personal. :slight_smile:

I was doing some looking around and I see you’ve been at this for quite some time…here…like 2009 or something.

I found a reference on that help2hear site about pinouts as well that might be of interest if it isn’t already old news to you. Although I don’t know how to check them in this case.

I would vote the gender changer to keep it simple and fewer cables. The iogear seems to say it’s already null modem. Although so did the Startech.

With other looking I did, I found that the chipset of these adapters may have something to do with it. That Startech one is ftdi. This iogear suggested by GN themselves is Prolific. Somebody claims success with the Belkin F5U409 and it uses a Philips chipset. And they went somewhere else for an updated driver. So who knows.

Dang! I feel your frustration. It’s extremely puzzling that it works for programming but not firmware updates.

1 Like

Now your stepping outside my area of knowledge :thinking: How do I check Pinout? And I’m assuming you mean Pinout on the Hipro?