OPN firmware upgrade issues

I’m using a serial hipro with Genie 2. I’m able to get Genie 2 to connect to my HA’s. Next an updater window opens suggestion a firmware upgrade is available with the option to “update” or “later”. clicking update opens an updater window (which immediately disconnects the HA’s from genie2). One has to choose the type of device that is being used to program the aids, I select Hipro and then detect. For several minutes an icon spins suggesting the updater is trying to connect to the HA’s, no connection is ever established. I’ve tried numerous ways suggested by the help file, none of which help. I found this bit of trivia but am uncertain what it means…is it the key to my issues???

**"What are the prerequisites for making a firmware update? **
Before performing a firmware update, you must:

Install Genie 2
Connect instruments with cables and a programming device.
Use new, fresh batteries.
Have internet access. This means having access to the following website: https://firmwareupdater.dgs.com Port:443"

The FAQs says any Hi pro;

Hi Pro Classic is the serial Hi Pro.

Also, keep in mind that the Firmware will reset your HAs to factory defaults so you will need to restore the programming afterwards.

Hmmmmm; It seems to be a connection-to-HAs issue, which is odd because the HAs were already connected in Genie 2 before you clicked Update.

I’m wondering if your USB-to-Serial adapter speed could have something to do with this problem?

The serial to hipro cable speed issue is very likely an issue!! Wonder if there’s a setting that might change that?

Feeling very lucky that I have fitlink3 for Day to day programming cause getting the firmware upgrade for in-stu feels like it’ll be a big hastle.

I’m not up to date on what you may have tried previously

Have you looked in your C:\Windows\hipro.ini file to see which Com port you are using and then use Device Manager/Ports (COM & LPT) to make sure that the referenced COM port is not set to the default of 9600 or 19200? If it is, set it to 115200 or 128000 Bps.

In-situ seems to be a fad lately. I haven’t seen much success with it??

Just as a sanity check, since your OPNs can be connected to the serial HiPro, have you gone through some programming steps (you can just make a very minor trivial change to a functionality as an exercise) and able to save the changes back to your OPNs?

I just want to make sure you’re able to complete the entire cycle of making programming changes with the HiPro without any issue. Making connection alone to the OPNs doesn’t confirm completion of the whole cycle.

In-situ may or may not be a fad, but the ability to do firmware updates is important. For example, firmware update 4.0 was very important because it fixed a lot of the iPhone streaming issues. Firmware 5.0 does not just have in-situ but also the ability to program and use the ConnectClip 3.0.

If you happen to have both the FittingLink 3.0 and the HiPro connected to your PC, I’d unplug the FittingLink just to remove another variable from the equation in case it’s affecting something. It seems like it shouldn’t matter but you never know.

@Volusiano good question. Yes I can change programs with the hipro.

@pvc. Initially I had to set the comm port to 1.
I just checked and the default was 9600 so I changed it to 115200. What I noticed after that change is the serial cable at the hipro now blinks a green light (which I don’t remember earlier) and an Amber light blinks (which I’m guessing might be an issue) while making HA adjustments. The HA’s still disconnect when I run the updater, which I have tried to run several different ways. In your opinion are the green and Amber lights receive and transmit and they both should blink green and is there another setting that I might be able to change that could correct that issue?

PS… The red light is/has always been on.

I dunno? I have never used/owned a Classic/Serial Hi Pro. Maybe try setting the speed all the way up to 128000 Bps is my last guess suggestion??

In case anyone else might have a suggestion here’s the cable I’m using.

My next option seems to try a Null Modem cable. Or send them back to the seller and have the firmware updated…yuck.

] assume you’ve bought a USB to Serial device. It is most likely that it is the problem. A lot of them don’t work with all devices. To get the right one, look on Amazon for the biggest seller and verify in review. Reviews make it apparent what works with everything.

You can look at both schematics on pins 1 & 2. They will show TX and RX and need to be reversed from each other to function. If that’s the only problem, a null modem plug will correct things on your existing cable.

The factor that’s hard to understand is why the serial Hipro, serial to USB cable combination is capable of performing programming changes for the hearing aids yet when I attempt to perform a firmware upgrade the hearing aids connection to the software is dropped (no matter how many times I reconnect or try the update via 2 other Oticon options).

Thank you for mentioning the null modem plug. I’ll give that a try…lol shopping will be more than the unit cost.

You might change the baud rate and see if that allows updating. It might be having problems with higher speeds.

I tried that already.
Also changed from comm 1 to comm 2 just to see. The unit worked with the installed drivers, I did a driver update as well. No luck

Many USB to Serial adapters do not support all of the RS-232 control lines. We went through that headache years ago with the equipment I worked on. Any old adapter would work for normal text communications, but most would fail when the equipment (and PC software) shifted to a true high speed protocol that required all of the control lines, for updating the equipment firmware.

Through trial-and-error, we compiled a list of which adapters would work and only purchased those. Unfortunately that was so long ago, the list would be completely out of date today, even if I still had it.

Here is a detailed list of all the control lines, but I doubt it will be any help.

http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=61

@alpine1 - The pic you posted of the box for your adapter shows that it is indeed only using 3 pins. That is most likely your problem.

Here is a link to one that uses all of the lines: http://www.usconverters.com/usb-rs232-adapter-xs8801

Of course, I can’t guarantee this one will work in your setup, but it’s almost certain the one you’re using will never do what you need.

Before ordering, look at your adapter and make sure it has pins like the pic in the link to the one I provided.

1 Like

@TexasBob Thank you for the advice, it makes perfect sense given the “I’m almost there fell”. I will need a null modem mini adaptor I believe!
Is there something specific I should be looking for?

The simplest solution, short of giving you a course in RS-232 communications, is to just order the unit I linked above.

Before you do that, disconnect your present USB to Serial converter and look at the connector. You should see 9 pins inside, just like it shows in the picture. If you look into the connector on the HiPro, you should see 9 sockets to match those pins.

Unfortunately, I think your equipment is backwards from that. I think you’ll find pins on the HiPro and sockets on the adapter.

If that’s the case, you will need a gender changer to convert the new adapter’s pins to sockets, like this: http://www.usconverters.com/db9-female-gender-changer

Even with all of that, there is still a SLIM chance you will also need a null modem adapter. http://www.usconverters.com/db9-null-modem-adapter

I’m trying to keep it simple, so anyone else who understands this old technology will need to cut me some slack. :wink:

EDIT: You WILL need the null modem adapter. Your box says it uses pin 2 for TX and pin 3 for RX. The adaper I linked uses 2 for RX and 3 for TX. You will need all 3 pieces to make it work.

I’m pretty sure this is why PVC recommends staying away from the serial HiPro. You have to find an old guy like me that knows how to make it work with today’s non-serial-port-equipped computers.

USB is much simpler. In general, if the connectors fit, it’ll work.

3 Likes

You are correct in that my hipro has pins and my cable has sockets. Is there a chance that just a gender converter will fix my current setup? Or the fact that only 3 pins SEEM to be used on my cable I’ll be still dead in the water, I know at this point you can’t really answer that question. Again thanks for the very helpful info.

@audiometrix_hearing has been selling the Classic/Serial Hi-Pro along with the USB cable in a bundle. Here’s a link; That’s not the actual cable price (I just made it up to include individual prices in the bundle). He may also sell the USB to Serial cable separately?

Though, I really don’t know if this will solve your problem. Maybe @Volusiano could say if this USB-cable/Classic with Serial Hi-Pro combination has worked on Opn Firmware updates?