New user, Rexton sounds

5 days into first time wearing.
Rextin Bicore C R-LI.
Right ear connexx 7mm open domes.
Left ear connexx xs closed.

Keeping track for followup, biggest issue is left ear sounding tinny, stuffed up, echoey, if that’s a word.
My voice especially but also others. To the point my wife says I whisper talking because in my head it bothers me talking loud or normal.
Is it from the closed dome, tulip or whatever it’s called?
Am assuming from loss that’s the only dome or?

Yes this is common, another is sounds like my “head in a barrel”

Again yes, this is what’s called the occlusion effect, it usually just takes time to get used to, of course there’s also the custom made molds, with the correct size vent you could get this feeling eliminated, ask your audiologist to see what they think, it’s a small cost and a much better fit, could work out for you.

2 Likes

@tenkan: Quite right, :fire_extinguisher:. Acrylic moulds complete changed (enhanced) my HA experience.

3 Likes

If I remember correctly, that one is closed because of amount of hearing loss, in order to “trap” the sounds in the ear. Besides testing it, what would the difference be going to an open dome?
I had thought of custom molds, but it’s not on the radar until such time I decide the gain is worth it.

1 Like

@user97: Feedback reduction and balance across all frequencies also need to be considered.

1 Like

Well the first thing will be the lower frequencies, as in they won’t be amplified as much, as say closed or power dome.
You could check what amount of gain is added by using the power dome compared to open, so you would get a similar amount of gain in a mold with the correct sized vent (but now with the occlusion effect reduced or eliminated)

So you can check yourself in Connexx what different sized vents does to the over all gain.

I actually I just remembered about the vented click sleeves, that would be something to look into as well.

Exactly, feedback is another reason why closed domes are being used by the OP.

I use ciustom molds in both ears. I have a closed vent in the right and an open in the left. My loss is much greater in the right. Closing the vent made music sound fuller and bassier, as mentioned by others. Oddly, I had no downside to this. Closing the left was more problematic and I left it open.

You can get open vents and then use a removable plug to see how closing the vent works for you. So it’s a no risk proposition.

The gain I meant is if I stay with HA’s.
It has been less than a week, still trying to decide what hearing gains they give me. Yes, certainly the higher frequencies, my dog’s toenails on the floor, walking in gravel, peeing in a porta-can. Can’t sat I missed those sounds….
Noise in a restaurant is still up in the air. Realize I would need to have it in, then take it out to see what difference.
TV sound can be lower, but only listen maybe 2 hours if lucky.
Not like I can wear them rafting or kayaking I realize now.

@user97: [… among active HA wearers, this is known as BlueBirdimg, FYI].

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Meaning what?
The chance of losing them, water damage?
On the water for me might be their greatest use, to hear those sounds clearer.

@user97: It’s an inside joke for members who have done some further browsing on the Forum.

I found it with search about accidentally swimming, shower, etc.
Though Costco has the 2 year replacement, if you lose/break one in the 6 month trial, no returns as it’s not the original

@user97: You need to search some more and read @1Bluejay 's complete and hilarious escapades while putting Phonak Lumity’s feet to the fire re their waterproofness claims. Her narrative is funny, entertaining, and revealing …

1 Like