New Resound Linx2 - 9

The more senior folk here say that Jake is the resident VA expert. I think he used to work for the VA or something. I’ve been on this forum for a year and I haven’t seen him help one person. All I ever see him do is push people’s buttons. He was recently banned for a short period, I’m not sure why he was ever let back in. Like I said, you’re best off ignoring him. If you’d like, you can go into your settings and put him on ignore so you don’t even see his posts.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of really good people on this forum. You’ll get the advice you’re looking for. Just don’t let Jake chase you off.

A couple of years back when I rode, it was a Goldwing. I wore a full face (flip up) helmet and couldn’t stand to have the side of the helmet push the aids into my head. I put a headset in the helmet and the world was good. For those who don’t ride, you can still hear everything around you.
I have the Linx and with an app on my iphone you can stream music and the phone straight to the aids. Even with the programs, I still have trouble in a “boardroom/Hall” situation. I am going though adjustments as I post for this. The Audi that adjusted last week did a horrible job and I was having trouble making out common conversations. I hate it when your sit in an office and they ask you if it sounds better? Heck it always sounds good in an office! Hopefully tomorrow will fix all that. Good luck with your new ears and keep the wind in your face…

If you’re being fitted with behind the ear, open dome setup, and you want your aids to double as a bike headset, have your audi set you up a special program for closed domes, with as much added base gain as your other gains and have him mute the microphones while in this program. Domes are quick and easy to change, and using closed domes and no microphones will give you SOME noise isolation. You may have to get used to the “stopped up” occlusion that comes from closed domes, but they will greatly reduce the wind noise and the rumble, while allowing you to listen to your music at a much lower volume than you would otherwise have to use, reducing the chance of further damage to your ears.

Look guys,
Jakey is Jakey. This is supposed to be his 4th account here. I guess they gave up on booting him here. It looks like he was even a moderator once. He did work for the VA as a HA fitter. He has helped people get into the VA for aids when they couldn’t on their own. He retired in a Florida condo and married.

I was one of the first to take him on. Doesn’t work. He thrives on confrontation. Maybe it is PTSD or just a emotional flaw but arguing with him just takes up bandwidth for no results. If you want to do something, feel sorry for his wife, OK? Then, if you can’t stomach him at all, go to your account and put him on your ignore list. His post then won’t be seen by you.

Yep, feel sorry for me while I watch the waves roll in on your taxpayer dime. Kenji do you and blubals both live in your mom’s basement? Is blubals also a draft dodger? You might not like the messager but the message is always correct.

Yea, I’m aware of all that. After he was banned recently, he was mostly okay for a while. But you know how it is with people like him, they eventually fall of the wagon again.

I’ve noticed recently that he seems to really enjoy attacking new users. So I just like to chime in and let people know that they can pretty much disregard anything he says. If someone is going to work as hard as he does at making people feel unwelcome, I feel we should work equally as hard at making people feel welcomed.

If he was a fitter for the VA, then I can understand why I hear so many horrible things about the VA. I could see him fitting someone with aids, then a couple months later they come back and say something isn’t working right. He would start calling them vulgar names and telling them how stupid they are.

I don’t see how any help he has given anyone in the past could ever counter the turmoil he causes here.

Ken and Blue, no worries here of skunkweed running me off, I have dealt with plenty of people with insecurities in their lonely life that they feel they must harass someone they never met before as long as they have the cover of a screen name, napoleon complex and all I am sure deep down in side skunkweed feel that his life is complete sitting around his condo on the beach with a bag of Cheetos in his hand making sly comments to strangers looking to find people that give real answers to questions that we all ask. its what you do when you actually have nothing to add to any conversation… I will keep yall informed how things progress and ask more questions as I think of them.

— Updated —

I will keep yall informed how things progress and ask more questions as I think of them.

Good to know. Look forward to hearing from you…

Just to add some perspective to others’ VA experiences. I’m retired military (Army, 21 years) got my first hearing aids while on active duty and then transferred over to the VA for my hearing aids. Until last April, they have always been Phonak, but, this last time I got Resound, which I find somewhat better and clearer. Not only do I see the VA as a patient (30% disabled), but, I have worked there for 21 years in the IT Service which also supports Audiology for their computer equipment. So, I see things from both sides.

I’m picky about my healthcare, but, have not had any bad experiences with the VA, and this is not due to my working there as the majority of the time most of the doctors don’t know. Yes, sometimes the wait times are long, and recently with the Choice program, I’ve been sent to see civilian doctors to lower the wait time, but, I’ve always gotten my aids and adjustments and hearing checks from the VA.

Currently, our VA has walk-ins every day, and typical wait time is < an hour, usually much less. They can do all adjustments, some limited repairs, or send the aid off for major repairs (the repairs are done at a VA facility in the Denver area, so, are generally done and back within 7-10 days (not much longer for other VAMC’s)).

Some of the audi’s are not fully experienced or familiar with Resound products, but, they’ll simply pick up the phone and call Resound support and get help if needed, and I’ve not had any significant issues. I’ve also read up a lot on my aids, so…have been able to suggest or ask for certain settings, and they’ve always been willing to do that for me.

I think overall you’ll find most all clinicians working at the VA are trying their best to be helpful and take care of patients. There’s simply not enough staff at most VAMC’s, and that is the main reason for long wait times and other issues. As a Veteran, you certainly have a right to not only good care, but also considerate and expert care, and…should insist on it, if you feel you are not receiving it. Each VAMC has a Patient Advocate that you can see, if talking to the clinician directly or the supervisor gets you no results.

In sum, it does take some adjustment to be seen by the VA, mainly due to backlogs and wait times, and you may be given a ticket or chance to see some civilian clinician for your health needs, but, you should get the finest care available, and if not, you should certainly demand it and discuss issues with the clinical supervisor or Patient Advocate.

Best of luck!

>>Just to add some perspective to others’ VA experiences

+1

avig in no way was I trying to slam the VA as I think that most of the people there care about the patients, the earlier comment had to do with a smart response from someone. the new facility that they have in Kernersville is top notch although I only and thankfuly had the pleasure of visiting there 3 times.

— Updated —

avig in no way was I trying to slam the VA as I think that most of the people there care about the patients, the earlier comment had to do with a smart response from someone. the new facility that they have in Kernersville is top notch although I only and thankfuly had the pleasure of visiting there 3 times.

When doing your research do you recommend any certain sites that is not operated by resound that gives good information and any that can explain what the setting options are?