New Phonak Roger On 3

Yeah, for older Roger iN v2 devices you have to dowload the free Roger upgrader software to get the free receivers

I have infinio phonak hearing aid and advanced bionics CI. They don’t link so I need Roger to connect for listening audio from iPhone at the same time. I have Roger on in v2, but is it connecting with only one device? If so, I need to buy Roger on in v3 for multiple hearing devices

It’s inherently false, because “all Roger microphones” includes non-iN versions that never had any receivers. Unless those now work the same way, too? I always assumed that required extra internal hardware for the iN versions, not just software tweaks, but I don’t know.

Was there ever any sort of limit to the Upgrader trick? I still think they’re trying to retcon that into something “new and improved” now that the cat’s out of the bag.

I don’t know if your BI is able to take a receiver internally, or if it has to be added on externally, but you can stream to hundreds of hearing aids with a roger, as long as the can get close enough.

WH

10, I understand. I’ve forgotten how to do the trick though

You said about that? That possibility is quite a suprise for me.

Unfortunately, I have a “non-IN” model, so I can’t benefit from that trick.

@1Bluejay, have you ever tried it?

Bimodal_user, I’ve spent HOURS transferring Roger V2 licenses to my multiple pairs of aids (2 pairs of rechargeables, 1 pair of 312s). I’ve had mixed success! The process can be even more involved if you install the myPhonak app on your phone, cuz that is the ONLY way you can 100% be sure the license xfer was successful, and to which aid (L, R) or both.

Quick 'n dirty video HERE, but it leaves out one last CRITICAL step, which is to CONNECT your aids to the Roger mic.

And YES, a pin was used in the pinhole on the back side of the Roger mic (hidden under that metal bar that looks like a belt clip). In a nutshell then:

INSTALLATION

1. Turn both aids OFF (open battery doors, or turn rechargeable off).
  2. Turn the Roger ON iN mic ON.
  3. Now turn the Roger over, lift up the belt clip, and press the pin into the pinhole under that clip. Hold for 2-seconds.
  4. Turn ONE of the aids ON, and place it right next to the Roger V2 mic.
  5. In a few seconds, you should see the :heavy_check_mark:check mark display on the Roger (If not, repeat above steps.)
  6. CONNECT: If you see the :heavy_check_mark:check mark there is one last step: press the “infinity” (8 on its side) button on the back of the Roger mic and place that close to your aids. You should hear the tones to indicate your aids are now successfully connected to the Roger mic.

If you’ve got the license xferred (or whatever they want to call it - I call it your aids are now paired & connected to the Roger) to that aid, DO THE SAME for the other aid. BOTH aids need to have these 6 steps performed to successfully stream with the Roger V2 mic.

UNINSTALL

1. Repeat the steps above (except for #6) for EACH aid.
  2. This time, a large “X” will tell you the aid is no longer paired with the Roger V2 mic and will no longer stream audio from that mic.
1 Like

Depending on how risk adverse you are, maybe you can get a cheap V2 on Ebay

1 Like

@1Bluejay, yes, we discussed that and I have even put a similar link about transferring licenses.

Nevertheless, I meant to ask you if you ever use this trick described above by @Zebras to multiply the license so that you have one in each HA in the same size. Finally, if you have (probably) three pairs of HA, you would have six licenses.

The “non-IN” Select and Roger On are enough for me. If I buy Sphere, I will transfer the license from Paradise. However, thank you for your advice, I appreciate it. I consider that possibility in the future.

1 Like

Nope. Never tried that one. Being gullible, I believed the Phonak rep who told me I’d need to buy a Roger ON IN V2 for each pair of aids I wanted to use it with. But then, ironically (and totally puzzling to me) she was able to “cross-license” + connect BOTH pairs of my aids to BOTH Roger mics cuz I told her it was absurd for me to have to use only ONE Roger mic with ONE pair of aids when the dang rechargeable aids don’t even give me a full day’s use.

Back then - when I only had the 2 pairs of rechargeables, I would sometimes have a LONG day, and literally, after dinner, I’d have to swap out my aids and grab the Roger mic that it had the license for. So the Phonak rep got my licenses cross-xferred to both pairs of aids so I could swap in the freshly charged aids and still use the same Roger mic that I had in the TV room.

Now if your head is about to explode reading this convoluted idiocy, you’ll understand why Phonak came out with the V3 that - MIRACULOUSLY! - no longer has just ONE (legitimate) license for RIGHT aid and ONE (legitimate) license for the LEFT aid.

Ouch. My head’s hurting. :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

2 Likes

It’s a confusing affair this Roger system, as if it wasn’t already complicated:

Takeaways:

1. Streamlined Connectivity: Roger Unlimited includes built-in unlimited receivers, eliminating the need for additional hardware and simplifying the portfolio for hearing care professionals.
  2. Enhanced Usability: The Roger On microphone now features Stereo Wide Pointing Mode, SmartMute, and improved app functionality, while the Roger Touchscreen Mic offers a customizable mute light and a revamped user interface.
  3. Increased Efficiency: The new updates save time and reduce the need for re-ordering or managing receivers, offering a more convenient and seamless experience for both professionals and users.

Phonak has unveiled Roger Unlimited, the next-generation version of its Roger microphones, and has made new updates for its Roger On and Roger Touchscreen Mic solutions. The new Roger Unlimited portfolio will include built-in unlimited receivers for Roger On, Roger Select, Roger Table Mic, and Roger Touchscreen Mic.

How does this unlimited Roger works, is this a firmware update to previous Roger devices, then you could have unlimited licenses?

Same goes with “Stereo Wide Pointing Mode”?

I don’t see any mention for simultaneous multi hearing aids connections!!!

1 Like

I think you’re right tho but Hearing Tracker talks about the Roger Touchscreen having Roger Unlimited and that isn’t new. Pretty old actually, came out in 2017.

1 Like

My audi confirmed at my app’t on Tues that the Roger V3 is it’s OWN animal - it is not a firmware update to previous Roger devices. Why? Cuz Phonak would lose a pile of DOUGH if they did that. ONLY the Roger V3 allows multiple license xfers so those of us who own more than ONE pair of (redundant) rechargeable or battery aids can have a SINGLE Roger V3 mic for streaming.

Not sure why the press release doesn’t explicitly say that … but perhaps folks like me who were snookered into buying a Roger V2 for each PAIR of aids they have would pick up pitchforks and STORM the HQ. :smirk:

My audi also mentioned that “stereo wide pointing mode” is kind of a lame “addition” cuz one could achieve that same thing IF they had myRoger app on the phone and picked the wedges of sound pickup on the pie. I used to do that, sometimes picking the wedges from 12n to 6pm (if you think of that pie like a round clock); or sometimes just 9pm to 12 at the top. Depending on where the sound was coming from.

You were definitely mis-sold on buying 2 RogerOns

I’ve just put a Marvel in Right ear, and Paradise in the other, In my RogerOn v1 works with both at the same time.

From what I’ve read on these pages, Phonak is the last place I’d ask for advice on their products.

Luckily, we have this forum

Peter

3 Likes

What your Audi should have done is have your buy roger receivers and transfer their licenses to your second set of aids. Probably would have saved you a ton of money. Blind leading the blind.

WH

1 Like

Not sure that is correct, but my gut feeling is, some (On, Select, table ii) roger items including touchscreen mic, will be upgraded via firmware to allow for unlimited licenses, that’s my understanding; the V3 has scratch resistant coating and some processing tweaks previous generations don’t have.

Does it make any difference?
Not sure it does, unless like some people who have a collection of hearing aids and roger accessories, like Arnie who has a cigar collection room (I think, don’t quote me on that), in this case yes; For most people, 4 licenses will be plenty enough, as they will have 1 daily set and 1 backup set of hearing aids, so it does make sense they all need to have roger license just in case, which they can get through the roger upgrader, courtesy of @Zebra

I think Sonova felt the heat from Mrs Auracast, I suppose, that’s why they are opening up their roger system with unlimited licenses, I could be wong.

2 Likes

You may be right, but I suppose (I’m not sure) that Roger is still more energy efficient and offers lower latency (19 ms, if I remember correctly) than even Auracast…

That is COOL!!! I should try that when my Precious Pink 312s come back. I can load one in the right ear and a rechargeable Lumity Life in the left. They should - in theory - work together, cuz both pairs of aids have the license from both of my Roger V2s.

Yeah, I sure got “the business” from Phonak! I SO wish there was an independent Geek Squad that figured out ALL the tech aspects of aids across the board. It would be a whole new business model, and I even think a senior like ME would pay money to have some young whippersnapper figure out how all my accessories work; show me what they’re doing in Target to optimize the settings, just TEACH me.

If I was 30 yrs younger, I’d reinvent my career to do this.

1 Like

Somehow I don’t think she’d have “crossed the line” to do that. She was as baffled as ME that I have to BUY 2 (redundant) Roger V2s but there ya are! That’s what happened.

Blind leading the blind - and DEAF one tripping along behind 'em. :neutral_face:

1 Like

That’s how I view this forum! :slight_smile:

3 Likes