New phonak Naida V90 UP

different compression wouldn’t help. This distortion is like you’re listening to a speaker but have it turned too loud. Did the hearing aid— S series? — you have now came after the Q? I have to imagine your loss is not nearly as great as my wife’s. But thanks for the help.

I’m right at the bottom of the chart so my loss is properly not much different to your wife’s.

Thanks. Maybe a new aid will help. Found out the place online does have the B. They include programming which they say they can do over the Internet. It’s the cheapest I’ve found so far, but I haven’t tried them yet. If anyone’s interested. They can ship overseas. Located in Iowa. 60 day return.

https://www.buyhear.com

Anybody look up the definition of Naida. Strangely enough it means bad ass woman. Anyway thought I would update all of you on this forum about my Phonak V 90s I have been wearing for the last four months. I did listen to one of the reader’s about going to the Phonak Pro website and find out about their hearing aids. I did learn a lot about the OS in these hearing aids. What I found out was that there are seven different main programs and two hundred sub programs. That is a lot of programs more that the mind can handle in my opinion. And the mind plays a big part to our listening or better yet relearning how to listen. The Phonak Target software is set up where you can go there and change the different types of noise environment to different setting. Also you can go change the gains to you liking. One neat thing about the target software is that it saves the settings for each fitting session. I got sick in January and was making some changes to the gains and decided to start all over with my settings so I erased all the settings. So I went back to Dec and enter each gain setting from that date. I know I’m writing a lot and I probably should have visited the forum more often that I do. I have not may any adjustments since Jan. except to get new tubes the other day. I really glad that I got the Naida V90 675s. The bigger battery allows for more gain. And by the way I don’t have to change batteries for three weeks. I did have the naida Q 50 before with the 13 batteries which only lasted about a week. Bid bonus with the batteries. I understand that the difference for the B platform and the V is the B was introduced because of the rechargeable batteries although the B platform alone does not have the rechargeable batteries. So there is not that much difference between the B platform and V platform. The main problem I have with these Naida V 90 is the auto sensing system. When I’m in a large area and I mean large area such as a church or the YMCA where is is music and a lot of background noise the AS increases the volume to where is really loud and I have to adjust the volume on these hearing aids. I have not tried to solve this problem yet. I’ve been busy. The problem with church is that I am constantly adjusting the volume because of the changing levels of should. Thanks for listening to me.

O.o

This sounds like a disaster.

The disaster was spending $90 at the audiologist, who tried three times and there was still feedback. The ones I make work, but they are a lot of trouble. The disaster is also that my wife’s hearing is so bad. She really should have a cochlear implant but then she wouldn’t be able to hear music properly.

What makes you think she won’t be able to hear music properly?!?!

This is what I’ve heard. Plus I heard a recording online. Sounds very metallic, nothing like real music. But maybe they are making improvements. We will be looking into that if the Naida B still distorts music.

The brain re-learns how to hear sound through a CI. There is no recording that we can produce that will properly replicate the experience of hearing through a CI. Users I’ve spoken to directly report that music sounds similar to what they remember, but experiences vary.

Do you have another provider in your area who is better? I guess I don’t know exactly how you are making the make-shift earmold, but earmolds are one of the more dangerous parts of audiology and the idea of making something similar without the ability to actually look into the ear and determine the health and shape of the ear canal worries me.

I just talked to my wife again today about cochlear implants; she does not want to go through an operation. She can only hear with her right ear. She had an operation on her left ear 45 years ago and shortly after that the nerve went bad and now that ear is useless (although it perceives sound at a louder level than the right ear). She wouldn’t want to take the risk of another operation.

We went to a second provider who had no problem with the ear mold I had made. But at this time I’m doing the programming myself. Frankly, our experience with audiologists has been uninspiring, to say the least. They get you in and out as fast as they can. But I appreciate your input. I do have a light to look in the ear and will do so to make sure everything looks normal and healthy.

I have been using hard ear molds and sometimes get feedback. The soft ear mold sticks to the ear skin better than a hard ear mold. It costs 100 dollars to order a soft ear mold by an audiologist.

Yes, soft Is much better. Earplugs are soft. The thing is, when you move, the opening of the canal changes slightly in size and shape allowing sound to get out. You need something soft and flexible to fill that. If you look at Amazon you can see earplugs are sold that you make yourself just like a hard one the audiologists make. The one reviewer made the same point that they aren’t as good as a soft flexible plug.

But also, the way I do it — with much trial and error — is to get the tube pointed directly at my wife’s eardrum. The audiologist was never able to do that right. As soon as I started making these ear molds, in addition to eliminating the feedback, my wife said she could hear much better.

I should emphasize it’s a complicated time-consuming process for me. And I may use sections from up to five different earplugs. But with my wife’s hearing loss is severe as it is, it’s worth the trouble.

My updated audiogram starts at 100 dB at 250 Hz all the way up to the higher frequencies. Almost straight across with a few spikes at the mid tones. I never had a ear mold deep in the canal and l can’t have one due to excessive wax build up.

I’d love a photo of this.

Because you want to try it or just for fun? I’m pretty busy at the moment preparing for a big wilderness trip.

But if it will help someone . . .

Just because I’m curious. I’m interested. Don’t do it if it’s a big hassle. I’m a bit agog that something you are hacking together at home is more satisfactory than the mold that your local audiologist (dispenser?) could manage. And I guess I’m impressed that you can cobble together something that ends up being a better fit than a custom-fit soft silicone mold. Like, curious to the point that if only you were local, I’d be willing to purchase your wife new molds myself to see if I could do better for you.

1 Like

I’ll get back to you after our trip. But I don’t see how yours could do better as she has no feedback now. The main thing, other than the feedback, is carefully adjusting it so the tip of the tube points at the eardrum. I do it, then she lets me know the sound is not sharp, repeat, repeat, repeat, until finally it’s sharp. I don’t know how and audiologist could go through that process.

Will try taking a photo sometime.

We can see where the eardrum is when we look in the ear.

I know, but getting the tube pointed at it is another matter. My wife noticed an immediate improvement when I started making molds myself. How long have the soft molds been around? She only had the hard silicone ones and the audiologist never mentioned an alternative.The thing about the plugs is, they expand to fill the gaps (she coats them with Vaseline). To the soft ear molds expand? if not, I don’t see how they’d be better.

here’s a photo. The green is contoured ear mold. It has two or three rings of red non-contoured over it plus a section of the tip of a red on the end. If anyone’s interested I’ll give the whole complicated process.

1 Like

Photography tip; Capture your photo outside in the sunlight so that your phone/camera will have the ability to choose a faster shutter speed :wink: