New Phonak Lumity L90, two weeks in

Well, so far these are better than i expected. I had the Phonak Audeo B for 5 years, and the Lumity is clearer and definitely better processing. Still working on a fit issue with the C- shells. They are being remade so I’m in power domes right now, which are fine. Honestly, i could stay in the power domes. They are super comfortable and and don’t budge a mm all day.

I feel like i can understand speech nearly normal, and sound recover seems much better.

Phonak has the best connection ability (is not arguable) so I’m loving having everything connected with no extra device.

I want to have an aided word recognition test to see, objectively, how I’m doing. Seems good so far. Feel like i can hear better than my audiogram would predict.

4 Likes

I had a similar experience with my Lumity Life aids. I took an aided word recognition test and found that I scored at 92 percent which audiologist says is much better than would be predicted. I hope that your test will reveal the same or better for you. They are really good aids.

Is there such a thing as an “aided word recognition test”? I’d love to do that too.

@Don , did u got any chance to test with lumity 30?, Is there any major difference in lumity 90 and 30. Since my budget restrict I’m seeking for baisc versions.

I did not look at the L30. It has fewer Autosense programs and less noise reduction so with my hearing i thought i needed everything i could get. The L30 should work very well though, in all but the most extreme situations. I would say go for it.

Have you looked at Zip Hearing? I think they have great prices for the L30 and they package that with local fitting. I was about to use them and found out my health insurance had a benefit through Hearing Care Solutions.

Glad to hear you found a fit.

I’m testing Lumity Life P90. Had them for a month now.
However, I will go for the P70 as it will save me $1000. I’ll loose Speech in Car, Speech in Echo and the auto zoom feature but I can live without that.

A tip is to ensure that every program in Autosense is calibrated to your liking. With the defaults I was not pleased with, for exampel, Comfort in Noise and Speech in noise. After tweaking together with my audiologist it is better.

Moulds do not only fit better, they also stay put which will help for some where the domes keeps popping out. But most importantly your audiologist will be able to configure your aids more exactly to your hearing loss. A REM on top of that will ensure best result.

Good tip on the word recognition test. I’ll do one too.

I have had the opposite experience with domes and molds. I use power domes (double domes) pushed all the way in to the bony portion of the canal. They don’t budge and no occlusion.
I have never had molds that stay in. Hoping for better with the Phonak c- shells. I suggested making them long, impression length, but audiologists don’t usually accept that. So the first set works their way out in less than an hour. Any suggestions from anyone on how to fit straight canals with a mold?

@don thanks for reply, I’m from India we don’t have here services of Costco or zip hearing all we we have option only need to go to particular dispenser,

being in tight budget wil check for lumity p 30, however i would like to know you being high frequency loss this HA manage to hear low speech voice, soft SPEECH or low girls voice speech ??!

What did you do during tweaking that programs? I interpret this quote that you:

1. did the REM without any additional features like speech in noise etc.
  2. switch on that additional features and did the REM again?

I am trialling the Lumity 90s, having tried Marvel and Paradise without too much joy. But I reckon success is more down to a good fitting custom mold that anything else.

I have had at least 5 sets of custom molds made that just start to move after a while. I decided to see a different HAD (same company different location) and I showed her the custom molds that I had previously had made (by Phonak) and were Ok for a few hours but kept moving enough for the sound quality to degrade noticeably.

She immediately looked at my canals and remarked how large the canals were. She took an impression and sent it off to Phonak. The molds came back but she immediately returned them to Phonak as they would clearly have been too small. Whatever she then said to Phonak worked as the latest molds are much better. At first there was some minor movement in the right HA but I reckon the canal has some elasticity and that is much less now. So after many attempts over several years and much frustration, I really do feel that I am getting closer to a good fit. Without a good fit, tweaking the software is a fools game.

The key thing that I did that showed the issue was to show the HAD my old aids (PhonakVirto Q90 ITE) and compare the size to the shells that came back.

The previous HAD simply said that they can’t make molds so big for RICs which looking back was just BS. The moral of the story being that good custom molds are vital as well as having a good HAD.

I am still working on getting the Autosense progs to be useful. For example, going into a bar with music playing, you DO NOT want the aids to go to Music mode!

First of all, I have tried sooo many hearing aids, including the lyric as well which I am not a candidate for, and I will say that the phonak is absolutley terrible, the auto sense features suck, the music setting isn’t the best,… I am musician so I switched to Widex, the widex is the BEST!!!

Actually, the Wide has the best processing in the industry with the lowest deli, therefore no artifacts,. I have had really bad issues with the lumity and other civics, but I now have the widex and love them