New Phonak CeruShield Disks still difficult to use

My va audiologist told me that the cerushield wax guards from Phonak had been upgraded. I recently got the upgrades which have more indentations to grab onto spin the wheels. But it takes much forcebmore than I have. Possibly the only way to use them is to split the disk into the two parts, and manually line them up. I did that with an old version one and it worked. Any suggestions? I can’t get to my audiologist because of the current coronavirus situation because I am 86, have still somewhat mild Parkinson’s, etc.

Try using less force rather than more. If you press the disks together too firmly they don’t turn as well. If you have trouble with the thumb/finger shearing motion, try putting the disk down, making a V (peace sign) and turning it with the V (pointer on one set of indents, middle on the other).

Sometimes ripping them apart and clicking them back together a few times loosens them up.

I find them difficult to use as well. Had I known this in advance, I would have chosen something different.

It’s an incredibly poor design.

If they needed to improve the reliability of Cerustops, then make them longer or multi stage, but don’t put more barriers ahead of people who just want to hear properly.

It wasn’t an Engineering decision, it was a ‘sell more stuff’ decision as the original Cerustop is out of patent and they are cheaply available. Sonova really don’t care as long as you’re making them profit.

Are the ‘old’ cerustop wax traps (on the sticks) not compatible with the Marvel & Paradise aids?

No. Different Receiver tube design.

1 Like

I use double-sided tape or anything else on hand that works to stick the wheel to the top of my desk. After that, turning the wheel is relatively easy.

So you’ve re-Engineered the device that was designed to be ‘easy’ for the average 80 year old to use.

Glad that you’ve got a workaround, but you see my point.

Whatever works.

In my case I find replacing wax guards from the Phonak wheel so much easier than what I had for my Rexton Trax 42s, they’re an upgrade.

1 Like

I think that phonak seriously doesn’t test proper groups.

I have a feeling they use fitters as beta testers /feedback, which is useless since they’re not the target population - people who don’t work with HAs every day, who aren’t interested in figuring it out, who might have dexterity issues (altough phonak makes it hard for people with zero dexterity issues, until they try phonak aid :joy:) etc ARE target population.

1 Like