New option in MyPhonak app to stay connected

This morning I saw a red dot in myphonak and clicked to investigate. There was a “what’s new” article.

Here is the first part of it:

I know this has been a common complaint. I won’t be enabling it because I want more battery life. But if this is something you wish it did, it can now.

WH

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning that! I was just trialing a set of Lumity’s, and moved on because the app wouldn’t remain connected. I can see the benefit with regard to battery life - at least, after you’d had them for a while and are settled in on your settings. When you’re just trying them out, though, the constant disconnection is a real pain!

1 Like

There’s another thread about this.

Seems that the staying connected, only is when you keep the App open. Close the App and the Aids have to reconnect again.

1 Like

Maybe there’s a bug, but this web page makes it sound like the exact opposite of what you’re saying. This is new behavior since the recent update.

Stay connected

Has anyone tried it?

WH

1 Like

Are you guys all using Apple iPhone? I have an Android Samsung Flip-4 cell phone, and no matter which pair of aids I put in (main aids, backup pair) they are automatically paired + connected forever with this phone. It’s GREAT! I don’t even have to worry if a call comes in first thing I put my aids in cuz they are already set up for streaming at the get-go.

For me, the key to longer battery life for my cell phone was installing the latest version of Android OS. Once I did that, I jumped from 11 hrs to 17+ hrs per day of phone battery life. I wonder what the options are for iPhone users?

The connection in view isn’t the streaming bt connection used for calls, it is the connection of the app to the HAs for changing programs etc.

WH

1 Like

I had updated the apps on my Samsung phone and my iPad. I don’t have any issues with my phone, although it does seem to show “connecting” when I open the app. It seems to have improved with Android, but is far worse with IOS. I have tried multiple times, but it refuses to stay connect and yesterday would not connect at all apart from first thing in the morning- at this time it was showing 100% battery power with an alert box overlaid saying that my right hearing aid was flat and about to switch off. I have tried all the usual fixes, turning off and on again, uninstalling and reinstalling, re pairing aids. In the end I uninstalled it from my iPad.

I am not sure Apple allows developers to keep an app “on” (indeed, Apple does not allow developers much, like a device-wide equalizer). Far more flexibility under Android.

That’s probably true. Personally it wouldn’t bother me too much if I had to connect each time, but now it won’t connect at all, hence the reason I uninstalled it.

Thank you for pointing this out! I am so tired of waiting for the app to reconnect; now I won’t have to. It does look like closing the app disconnects it, but I’m fine with that. I can do that to save battery, and leave it connected when I want to.

1 Like

@Zebras
You’re right.

@WhiteHat
My experience…leave myPhonak open, it stays connected. Shut it down, turn it on again and it connects again.
At lease connection speed is better than it used to be…

1 Like

When you say shut it down, do you mean force-quit or just change to another app or shut the phone off? I just turned the option on to test it out. I can see force-quit causing connection loss. But it should be able to sustain connection while other apps are in use.

WH

1 Like

I turned the option on. Then switched away to other apps like mail and social media for a while. Then put the phone to sleep. 15 min or so go by, check out the myphonak app and the battery values are staring me in the face right away. No lag. I’ll turn the option off now, but I think they pretty much nailed it.

WH

I mean force quit I dont leave apps open on my phone

Now that my HA’s are set up well I can use them and don’t need to check.

I haven’t observed a noticeable decrease in battery life. Remaining connected is a boon to me, since every time that I want to mute my HAs (not infrequently) I no longer need to wait for them to reconnect.

1 Like

Have enabled it and found zero effect on my Marvel M90 SP aids.

They always connect and far faster.

With the Phonak Paradise all you have to do to mute, is push the lower volume down for a few sec’s and they go into mute mode.Touch it again and up they go, but one level down from normal, my old compilot you would do the same except it would mute to 90%.

Thanks, @kgmgpm. I find it a less fiddly operation with the app, muting/unmuting both HAs with one touch.

Actually, push again and volume back to normal, it’s going to be fun in the winter with a large fuzzy hat on, and the phone buried in my winter coat… LOL

I turned it off after trying it out. Chews way too much battery.

Jordan

1 Like