Need a new Audi in the Scottsdale/Phoenix/Chandler area

I’m not sure which category this should go in. If someone would advise me, I’d appreciate it. I’ll move it.

I’m desperate for a new audiologist. Mine used to be super but now is kind of just meh. I’m in the US in the Scottsdale/Phoenix/Chandler area. He or she needs to be really GREAT as I have a severely profound loss. She has been mediocre and it’s been OK but now I absolutely need great.

She says it time for cochlear. She could be right. Or not. She said this before, 4 years ago. And here I am. Back then, she sold me new hearing aids. She works for the ENT who does the most cochlear surgeries in the southeast valley. And I found out she is commissioned!

So any recommendations are welcome and much appreciated.

Hi - sorry you are struggling with the your AuD process. I don’t live in your area, so cannot help with AuD, however if you are in the severely profound loss range, it is not a poor recommendation to go through a cochlear implant evaluation if you are willing to explore that. If you were not open to a CI 4 years ago, then the only other option would have been for newer technology HAs, so it does not sound like a commission seeking situation in my opinion. You can see my audiogram here. I was borderline for qualifying for a CI and opted to go forward for my bad ear and am having good results. You can get a CI evaluation and certainly decide against it, but is very thorough and may help you see what your options are. You might want to check out a research university that does CIs to get that second opinion and they may be able to advise on a new AuD for you.

3 Likes

I second the idea of trying a research University.

I decided to see an otologist (a sub specialty of ENT) to have my hearing medically evaluated. He required their audiology department perform a hearing test first. Their test showed a 30% improvement in word recognition scores over previous years. The otologist checked me over and, based upon the test results, though well adjusted hearing aids would work for me. I am now trialing Oticon More 1 aids and will be upgraded to the Real 1. Although I am paying more than my last 10 years at Costco. I think it will be worth it.

2 Likes

I might be missing something but Dr Cliff Olson AuD is located in your area @:

Applied Hearing Solutions

4045 East Union Hills Drive
Suite #D128
Phoenix, AZ 85050

Look him up on the web…he’s a NOTED hearing aid AuD

Good Luck

David

8 Likes

I am not opposed to a CI. Four years ago when she said I needed one, I did the CI eval and they (another hearing facility) were appalled it was recommended to me as I was nowhere near ready. They recommended I report her and the doctor. I just don’t trust her recommendations any longer.

1 Like

Thanks much! I currently have More 1s and I know they can be adjusted further. There is a university in Tucson that I have been thinking of seeing so I may try that. Two hours away, but they have some great Mexican restaurants for lunch!! :crazy_face:

It’s very funny you should mention him, and it’s good to hear someone recommend him. I have watched his videos and been impressed. Closer than Tucson. May give home a shot. Thanks much!

2 Likes

I drive 2.5 hours but no Mexican lunch. Unfortunately I cross the state line so no remote support.

1 Like

Is the no remote thing across state lines a state law? It’s not that I mind the longer drive. It just makes more sense to have a closer audi if I can. I would even consider Duke if I thought they’d be the best. Thirty years ago, I went to the University of Washington and it was awful. I was seen by the chair and he said in my lifetime, we would be able to grow new ear ‘hairs’. I take copious notes and the next time I saw him he denied ever saying that. I later found an article he wrote saying exactly that. They were awful. They finally said they could not help me as my ears were declining differently and it was a neuron issue. Cost $300 for that. Of course we’ve come a long ways since then. But it didn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy about universities! I did find a good audi after that tho.

Maybe not a Mexican lunch, but something as regionally good in that area.

At least here on the east coast of the US hearing providers are licensed by the state. I believe it is Duke being cautious legally.

1 Like

Irene, that response certainly would make one pause at the idea of a CI. My original AuD was appalled when I first mentioned it. Said “you know they destroy all of your hearing when they put it in, I would never do that.” You don’t have your audiogram loaded in your profile, but severely profound certainly sounds like a challenge for you.

Most AuD offices sell HAs and do not do CIs. If they learn about latest CI research and start encouraging earlier implantation, they lose a hearing aid customer. It is not in their best interest to learn about CIs. My ENT was unaware of several new CI options or that they are often able to preserve residual hearing - in about 50% of cases. It was not in her wheelhouse.

I asked for a referral to Vanderbilt University, a leading CI center, and the surgeon was very honest with all the options and research. He shared that earlier implantation is showing better hearing clarity and earlier success. Nothing is guaranteed, but I figured I already couldn’t hear, so maybe take a chance at it being better. It was also far cheaper for me to have the CI through insurance than to get a new set of HA s. That really made me think.

2 Likes

They cannot do them except through an associated medical provider such as an ENT.

1 Like

Well, if you have virtually no hearing, how can it be destroyed?? Mine is an ENT office so they should know about things, but I’m finding they do not. I don’t believe she does. Glad you got the help you needed. I think I read somewhere that they now can indeed preserve residual hearing. My audi did not know this!!!

1 Like

Well, this could be interesting. I have an appointment with Dr. Cliff. A hearing test is $319 and they charge a non-refundable deposit of $250. Unless you call a week ahead to cancel, there is a no refund policy. I asked if moving it would result in a no-refund. She said what they do in that case is move you without a penalty. But you can no longer see Dr. Cliff!!! You can only see one of the associates. I mean you can NEVER see Dr. Cliff ever. I said, well what if I have an accident in that week and I’m taken to the hospital. She said no exceptions! I think that’s a little harsh. He was easy-peasy to get into too, which made me wonder. I have an appointment next week. I sure do hope he’s not all talk. And guess what else. They say I need a referral for Medicare, that they would not see me without one. And they said if I didn’t get one, they couldn’t bill my secondary insurance so I would be out everything. I’ve never ever needed a referral for any Medicare anything. I did not misunderstand this; I am pretty savvy when it comes to this. I am not impressed at this point and hope it isn’t a waste of money. I hope I’m wrong but I am not feeling warm and fuzzy. This guy better be damned good!!

1 Like

Unfortunately, I agree and my gut feeling is to run FAR away. I really hope I am wrong.

EDIT: I thought about this further. The culture there is not focused on providing the best hearing results for their customers. Instead of providing the best service and experience porrible to their clients, their aim is to separate as much money as possible from them. My advice is to definitely look elsewhere. This experience, along with Dr. Cliff’s recent partnership convinces me he is focused on capitalizing on his fame to maximize his income.

If you still follow through with the appointment, be sure he knows of your experience. There is a remote chance he is not aware. If he IS aware, my above views apply.

Before you keep the appointment with the YouTube Sensation Dr Cliff or his associates - research Audigy and his recent relationship with this data driven company meant to boost the sales and bottom line of the Private Practice. I want every good solid business to be profitable. I am not one who resents how much money Audilogists charge or profit.
I speak from experience when a longtime Audiologist became part of Audigy many years ago. It got very ulgy for me.

2 Likes

Those were the thoughts I began to have after I made the appoint. I have to cancel today, I think. Maybe it’s too late to get a refund? I can dispute the charge, I guess. ::disappointed:

2 Likes

Is it a new automobile you seek?
Or a Au.D.?

A new Audi for the Au.D by the sounds of Dr. Cliff’s charges.

The thread title leans towards automobile but I am a Toyota guy, personally.

:rofl: I have a lot of respect for Upper Case Letters in the Subject Line… But I wouldn’t mind a new Audi…

1 Like