NALscribe (new voice to text) app for Mobile & IPad

Apologies if this has been previously posted… Just seen this new app on Phonak Pro, did a quick trial on my iPad, with folks at various distances from the iPad chatting away, transcribing most of the conversations fairly accurately, but not perfect, perhaps if they are closer to the mic, it might be more accurate… this might be very handy for folks with a with a severe profound loss… I haven’t tried on my iPhone yet, in a live call… It’s free from Apple Store, and no service charges, or none that I have seen… Cheers Kev :grin:

5 Likes

Of you have an iPhone or iPad updated to iOS 17 there is a beta Live Transcription feature under the Accessibility section, I’ve been using it when I FaceTime with my husband and it works quite well for me. It can also be used during live conversations but the accuracy suffers a bit.

3 Likes

Yeah Heather, I do… iPhone Pro, iPad Pro, iMac i7, MacBook M2 Pro, I am a bit of a Apple freak, I like quality, and Apple exudes that… :smile: I also have a Windows 11 i5 Laptop, specifically for Phonak Target Software, for self programming my aids :upside_down_face: But, in my younger days, I built my own computers… Eventually, I realised, no matter how big a PC I built, nothing quite needs to be with an ultra fast CPU, and ultra slick RAM, reliability became my watchword, alongside quality, processing speed wasn’t a consideration anymore as they where all relatively fast… For instance my iPhone 12 Pro… Last year, my 2 years was up, so I planned an iPhone 15 Pro, I usually upgrade my iPhone every couple of years or so, I normally buy new, but I wait till a an iPhone has been out for 6 months or a year, before I commit to buy, its usually a lot cheaper by then, if you shop around! But at the backend of 2023, I was hesitant, I liked my iPhone 12 Pro, it was still slick, and fast, it took good images, and in its case, it still looked new, but the battery had degraded enough to be annoying! I could have easily changed the battery myself, but I also like to support the local small shops, so I paid around £50 to the phone repair shop, to install a “New Battery”, I went back an hour later, and it was done, and what a difference, approximately 50% more runtime, faster charging up time, it was indeed a better battery than the original! My only gripe, was it wouldn’t update, Apple tries to block updates (illegally IMO) if you install 3rd party batteries, but thankfully there is a workaround, once you know how, it now updates perfect… I have tried Android phones in the past, suffice to say, I am not keen on these :upside_down_face: That NALscribe, seems very slick, I will try it out over the next few weeks, its free, so if its no use, you aren’t out of pocket :smile: Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

You are preaching to the choir :smile: I do have a old Windows gaming laptop that I mostly use for the increasing rare times I need an actual computer but aside from that we are an Apple house with our iPhones and iPads doing most of the heavy lifting. I used try really be into gaming and building my own computers too but now that software is my job I just want stuff that works at home, I spend enough of my day debugging and troubleshooting!

Seems there are quite a few captioning apps on the App Store - funny I never thought to check before! I wonder how they differ from each other and the built in Live Transcription that is in iOS 17. I mostly only talk on the phone with my husband (everyone else texts) but it could be useful when we are doing a group FaceTime with my in-laws.

2 Likes

yeah @Heather_R, I have tried live transcribe software before on windows, many years ago, it was to say the least, extremely challenging to use, and not to mention, very frustrating :upside_down_face: NALscribe doesn’t work on iMac, but it works on the iPhone, iPad & MacBook… I’m quite dyslexic, and there is a copy/paste feature on it, so I’m thinking I might be able to use it, for talking into, and then paste in replies onto this forum? It takes me absolutely ages as a 1 finger typist to write a reply :rofl: and then I have to double/treble check my replies, for mistakes… It takes me an inordinate amount of time, this might help? I can but try… Cheers Kev :grin:

2 Likes

If you are looking for speech to text for your own use the Notes app lets you enter notes with the microphone, might be useful.

I’ve actually never used Windows Live Transcription, I honestly just found out about it last month! However, I’ve been using Teams live captioning for work since it was in beta and I have to say that shortly after the pandemic started it went from being an interesting but mostly useless feature to improving in leaps and bounds and actually became useful (which was great timing since I have no idea how I would have been able to do WFH meetings otherwise).

1 Like

I guess it was made for Iphone … not very intuitive on a non Iphone … seems to only work with a phone call … not face to face. Or I am just to stupid to find that option.

1 Like

This is sooooo helpful !! I have to communicate cell phone to cell phone in a noisy environment at work (hospital ED) and lots of folks have heavy accents, which are the two hearing situations I have most trouble with if my hearing aids are not connected by bluetooth. I struggled to make NALscribe work on the highly regulated work phone, but using the beta iPhone Live Captions function works a charm !!!

3 Likes

I am glad you are getting some benefit from this app @JulieP… Hopefully, NALscribe will help elevate some of the stress at work, anything that can improve communication in a challenging listening environment, can only create, a slightly more positive experience… Take care, cheers Kev :grin:

2 Likes

@kevels55

May I ask a question?
Way back I got an iMac. it’s described as September 2010 if I remember right.

Now I have issues. Apple is not supporting it Google and gmail are not playing nice. Is there some way to resolve this so I can have unrestricted Google and gmail use?

Sincerely,
DaveL

And yes, my hearing aids are paired with my iPhone SE and were paired to an iPad. The cost of getting a new iMac or whatever is hopelessy high for me.

1 Like

I don’t know about android @GrayGhost… But if you sit an iPhone, iPad or MacBook in between yourself, and a speaker, it will pick up the speakers voice fairly easily, (including your voice) it is quite precise, but not exactly perfect, but it is fairly close, close enough for you to follow a conversation, aid-less, I would say, although I haven’t as yet put this to the test… It turns your iPhone into an, Assistive Listening Device, a visual aid, to improve overall communication, for hearing impaired… This could have many applications, in perhaps challenging acoustic environments, hopefully a few kind souls on this forum will respond with their own, life experience’s, and let us know, how good, bad or indifferent this app is? It’s free to try out, and no service charge :grin: Cheers Kev :wink:

@kevels55 it looks like Julie is using the iPhone beta Live Caption function I was talking about earlier - especially with locked down work phones it can be hard to install unapproved 3rd party apps so having the functionality built in to the iPhone now is a benefit in those cases. It doesn’t allow copy and paste or saving so the other apps may have some advantages even so depending on your needs.

Note: I previously called the iPhone functionality live transcription but it’s actually called live caption - it seems different apps and platforms have different names for the same thing and I get them mixed up :smile:

2 Likes

You can, I believe “Jailbreak” them Dave? Although, I have never felt the need… So I would not know where to start… @Heather_R is a software expert, she is a far better person to ask than me, when I start having problems with my iMac, I just wipe it clean, remove the Operating System completely, and reinstall a new clean version, I did this a few weeks back, as my iMac wouldn’t update, and no access whatsoever to the App Store, occasionally it would crash, it’s coming up on 10 years old (Late 2014) i7 processor, 32gig of RAM, 27in screen, that’s the second time over the years, I have had the iMac, that I have wiped it completely, the Apple Cloud reinstalls everything, like photos, videos, bookmark’s etc’, it’s like you have a new computer, albeit a new 10 years old one, as slick & fast as it was in it’s hay day :grin: I am most certainly not an expert Dave, I know enough to get bye, and anything I am unsure of, Google & YouTube are my friends :grin: I would indeed consider saving hard for a newer Mac Dave, or newer to you… I save first, then consider the options, new or second hand, second hand is usually my preferred choice, new is when all else fails… I will consider first, the CPU or Computer Processor Unit, i5, i7, i9, M1 or M2 are all excellent CPU’s in ascending order, a minimum of 8gig of RAM (Random Access Memory) is next, but 16gig, or 32gig is obviously much better… 64gig is a dream machine! Next up is the Hard Drive, my minimum requirement would be 256gig of SSD (Solid State Drive) obviously the bigger the better, 512gig is ideal for me, 1 or 2tb is another dream machine! A Fusion Drive is okay though, IMO… It is certainly not rocket science, and more of a common sense thing, but basically the higher end the component’s are, they command a high end price, even second hand, especially so with Apple, they last! I buy a lot of stuff on social media, (Facebook) there are bargains to be had, and most folks sell on their to get rid of stuff they don’t use, they aren’t looking for profit, just looking for some of their money back… A 14 year old Mac, is fine, but it is going to go at some point, nothing lasts forever… I rarely drink nowadays, I don’t smoke anymore, I vape though, I make my own vape, house is paid for, cars & vans also paid, so I have no major outgoings, I don’t have a credit card as I don’t believe in them! I save if I want something… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

@DaveL 14 years is pretty old, even for a Mac, I usually find after 10 years it gets harder and harder to keep them working well and as you notice, eventually Apple stops supporting it and even the websites no longer work well on such old browsers.

My question would be what you use your iMac for and whether you truly need another iMac or if an iPad or lower cost laptop would work. In the US you can get an 9th gen iPad brand new for $250 but not sure about Canada. Are you committed to staying with Apple or would you be willing to look at Windows or Android laptops/tablets?

1 Like

I have a brand new iPad Air. I’ve had to learn so much. It’s radically different than my old old iPad which was not supported either

I shall need a new iPhone if I retire. A colleague killed himself. I have several of his jobs so I can work a while

I swear a lot when using a pc. So likely stay with Apple.

DaveL

2 Likes

I swear a lot, with or without a computer Dave, in fact, I am probably an expert in expletives, especially so, in sign language :rofl: You can pick up an new iPhone fairly cheaply, some folks sell them on when the get an upgrade, and keep their own old iPhone… iPad’s are fairly easy, once you get the basics… You’ll be fine Dave :grin: In truth, I probably prefer the iPad Pro over the MacBook Pro M2, my iPad is probably 6 or 7 years old, but I am so used to it…Good luck, cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

I would like to somehow set “Live Ttanscribe” to work with internal sounds. Although the application does not support it, but maybe there is an application that would enable it, to imitate the sound of the microphone for that application. I find it useful when listening to podcasts, it can also be useful when listening in a foreign language.

1 Like

Thanks Kev

I’ll get a keyboard for the iPad Air.
Your words help.

DaveL

2 Likes

@kevels55 I hate to be a party pooper, but I’ve been using this app when needed since it was released during Covid in November 2021. So not exactly new for me…

It was developed in Australia, this could be the reason I got it in 2021. I’ve found it extremely useful for myself, and very easy to use. Also it’s FREE….

https://g3ict.org/headlines/australia-new-app-developed-for-persons-with-hearing-impairment

2 Likes

Just an anecdote that’s almost on topic.

I had a physiotherapy appointment a few days ago. The guy’s very good at what he does but… a complete mumbler. I’m down to one hearing aid, the room was very reverberant… I was getting close to nothing of what he was saying, to the point where it was almost a waste of time being there. It was more for advice than treatment.

At one point I was on the couch and a light bulb turned on in my head. I asked him to hand me my phone, tapped the shortcut for the Android equivalent of this app, and the session was saved. Seriously. I spent the rest of our time reading his speech off the phone. Surreal but effective.

4 Likes