My Phonak Sphere Infinio I90 vs Lumity L90 Shootout

@JordanK, another test you could do, if you’d like, would be to go to a live rock music club. I’d be interested to hear what your experience might be.

Would the Spheres go into Spheric mode because the music exceeded 70dB? If so, would you then be able to hear someone talking to you, but the volume of the music would be decreased and the music would sound unnatural?

4 Likes

The $3800 from eBay sellers is probably the hardware only price with zero audiologist services or support. The higher amounts you see quoted from audiologists typically include three years of services including product selection, initial testing, fitting, ongoing fine tuning and adjustments, molds, etc.

IMHO, the services my audiologist provides (in addition to the hardware costs) are critical to optimizing my ability to hear with my hearing aids. I’m happy to pay for these services as the expertise of a good audiologist is worth it. Not sure why anyone would skip this step.

Just my 2 cents…

Jordan

6 Likes

You’re right about that. I just think it’s odd that none ever seem to over an unbundled option. I’m skeptical that the value of three years’ worth of those extra services exceeds the $2200 price difference for most people (assuming $6000 USD roughly equals $8190 CAD), at least in terms of what it would cost if billed piecemeal separately. And if you move, you just have to pay for it again somewhere else. This isn’t a buyer-friendly pricing model, which is why so many choose to opt out of it.

1 Like

What kind of rebate does Ontario have? I have never heard about hearing aid rebate in B.C.

@JordanK, what is watching TV like? Especially when I’m watching a movie, I have trouble hearing the dialogue when the sound is coming from the TV or a soundbar.

I am hoping that the Spheres, especially in Spheric mode, will grab the dialogue and suppress the non-dialogue part of the movie’s sound. What has been your experience?

2 Likes

That 3800 is a wholesale price in a location with low purchase tax plus a few % margin plus shipping. Possibly using a fulfilment centre or getting the manufacturer to pre-program the aids.

Your test is done elsewhere, your tuning is done elsewhere, your warranty becomes complicated unless you use someone local. I’m not saying it’s not a route for people who can program their own aids, but it’s a completely different supply model than going to a physical Audiologists office, getting tested, fitted and followed-up. Falling under an ongoing warranty agreement, plus ongoing aftercare.

Two observations:
1.There’s a couple of ways of doing anything; cheap and dirty or belt and braces.
2. Humans are fantastically bad at estimating risk, especially mean time between failures (MTBF) in human/electronic interface devices; even before you consider the huge potential for a non-optimal fit, rendering you unhappy with your investment.

It’s your money and your choice (everyone loves a bargain), but be prepared that if you go the direct route, you might get kickback from your local audiologist, they could refuse to see you outright or they might just retire.

8 Likes

I agree with this, as my first private Audiologist gave me my speech recognition back. Since then, I can pretty much replicate his work with self programming, which has opened up the Ebay market to me. If I wished, he would programme any for me at his published rates.

2 Likes

Yes, the threshold can adjusted in Target

1 Like

Shame, I had a failing battery in the left aid (3-years) and they changed both batteries (right aid 3-years). Audio suggested send both in for a check next March 5 and 4 years point.

Hello Peter, I will probably go with Wholesale Hearing, when the time comes to upgrade my Naida Lumity UP’s, to hopefully a Naida Infinio Sphere version? Perhaps in a year or so, well that’s the plan, at around £2.5k for a pair, (remotely fitted, I also have Target) that price is within my budget range, but I am most definitely in no rush, my Naida Lumity 90 UP’s are indeed exceptionally good aids, I just got new set of hard acrylic moulds last week, and my hearing clearly (to me) went up a notch or two, certain people’s voices became audible, in the past, I have struggled badly with these individuals, but now, I hear them well, not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but well enough to communicate effectively… I do hope, Phonak have a Naida Sphere in the pipeline, I do not envisage this as any different from previous iterations of Naida, if Phonaks track record is taken into account, hopefully my assumption is correct… Take care, cheers Kev :wink:

5 Likes

Sounds a decent plan
My Audio couldn’t match Wholesale Hearing’s price. You may need C.Shells making, when the time comes, unless Naida are available then. If they did SP with 13s I’d look at them too.

Like you, I’m in no rush.
Peter

2 Likes

Government gives $500 rebate per each ear (total 1000$) each 5 years for new aids. I read they raised it to 1500$ from July 2023

3 Likes

Am in the phase of finding new Audi in the Mississauga / Ontario area as mine has moved far away and the new one is newbie . Any recommendations is appreciated

No still just $500. Gov site: Hearing devices

1 Like

Link below

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/benefit-plans/health-care-plan/information-notices/improvements-changes-public-service-health-care-plan.html

1 Like

It looks like that is only for Public Service . . . so us common folk can’t get it.

“Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP), which is offered to eligible employees and retirees of the public service(including the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Canadian Armed Forces) and participating employers, and members of certain designated groups.”

And btw I am mid-north Toronto but I don’t have an audi at this point. So many of them are owned or affiliated with the manufacturers that I can see it will be a challenge to get an unbiased recommendation.

1 Like

The Province of Ontario provides a $500 per ear hearing aid subsidy. Here is the link:

My audiologist looks after all the paperwork for me and just deducts the subsidy amount off of my final invoice.

Jordan

2 Likes

In UK I see Phonak Audeo Infinio Sphere i90 Hearing Aids - Rechargeable Dual Chip Model | Hearing Shop for £2445.

Extended warranty is extra and I don’t know what audiologist service you get, they just say professional.

When I had my first hearing test at a metro-boston medical center related ENT hospital, they told me new HAs would cost as much as a good used car, and I walked. I found out later they were a week or two from implementing a new plan where they separate the HA cost from support past the necessary initial stuff. I might have bit if I knew that. A la carte care costs sounds a lot better to me. But you pays your money and takes your chances. (or you don’t)

WH

4 Likes