My Phonak Sphere Infinio I90 vs Lumity L90 Shootout

My testing sorta reflects my typical weekly routine. Shopping in Costco is relevant because I’m usually with my wife and want to be able to hear her amongst all the noise and other people shopping. Same thing at busy grocery stores, Home Depot, etc.

Jordan

2 Likes

What’s your experience walking on busy street? Can you hear people next to you talking?

@jeffpa
I didn’t set any additional programs yet as the automatic option has enough to choose from. And my evaluation time after just a few days is to short, I’d rather like to experience what the Infinio does/ chooses by itself. After that I want to decide if extras are needed. As myPhonak app doesn’t function at the moment I unfortunately cannot check what programs are chosen.

@JordanK
Yes, same experiences as you have! I can also hear different voices and by focussing listen to their conversations. Pretty impressive.

2 Likes

Do you know Spanish, Chinese or other foreign language? Can you speak to some foreigner/language-speaker in foreign tongue and report back how easy it was to follow the conversation and how many % of words did you understand effortlessly?

When you walk along a busy street, Autosense 6.0 tends to pick either the Comfort in Noise or Spheric Noise depending on how much noise there is and whether people are talking nearby. I think my audiologist said the threshold for switching into the Spheric program is 70 db of noise. And yes…when the Spheric program is active you can hear speech around you really well. That being said, everyone’s hearing loss profile is different so my suggestion is to sign up for a test of these hearing aids and try it for yourself.

Jordan

5 Likes

I understand the basics in a few languages but my sense is that the Spheric program isn’t trained to any specific language. It’s trained to reduce noise from from a complex soundscape that includes speech in any language. The Costco I was in today is located in a very Asian part of North Toronto (Markham). There were tons of people speaking Cantonese to each other. I couldn’t understand what they were saying (I don’t speak Cantonese) but I could clearly hear what they were saying…if that makes sense. Maybe someone else can comment on this topic.

Jordan

4 Likes

DITTO for me. So I now have a dedicated program called … MUSIC. I just put my aids manually into that and then can enjoy all the dynamic ranges and hear it as best I can.

2 Likes

Mine switches to music in autosense sometimes but not reliably. I also have a music program. I took the one they gave and modified it a bit.

WH

3 Likes

How do you know what mode your HA’s are in when in the Automatic program? When it switches to MUSIC or SPHERIC is there some indication in the MyPhonak app?

1 Like

In the home screen on MyPhonak app, at the bottom there is an “adjust program” button. Clicking that will show you what program autosense is running at the time.

WH

5 Likes

Good question. To see what program the Automatic mode currently has selected:

Open the myPhonak app and make sure you are connected. Click on the “Adjust program” button at the bottom of the Automatic tab:

Now look at the top of the “Adjust program” screen. You will see what program the Automatic mode is using right now:

Jordan

13 Likes

Hi Jordan,

i made the observation in your photo, that the hearing aid is not correcty closed and not sealed.

5 Likes

the only real size difference seems to be more about the battery. I see more going to this 13 btry which I feel is a good thing. thank you for sharing pics. Look forward to hearing your comparisons

Yes…thanks for pointing this out. I noticed this after I picked up the new Sphere hearing aids. My audiologist has ordered me another pair in graphite. I will just swap them for the new ones when they show up.

Jordan

4 Likes

As you are in Canada , out of curiosity how much the sphere cost ! Am in the phase of getting my new ones and one of the audiologist mentioned the Oticon intent 1 could cost $7000 cad after Ontario ADP :weary:
I did a trial in the office with the intent but then started reading your reviews of the sphere and this made me think 10000 times again :grinning:

@AshFan

My audiologist said they were similarly priced to what I paid for my Lumity L90’s two years ago…. So very close what you are being quoted for the Oticon hearing aids.

Jordan

3 Likes

Thanks . I will certainly ask my audiologist for a test-run . My only concern is the size of this pregnant aids

2 Likes

The new Aliens movie was fun.

3 Likes

That is VERY interesting! Thanks for the visual aids here, too! I’d actually deleted myPhonak app cuz I got frustrated when I couldn’t rename programs on it. But I can see where the app also provides useful info on the AutoSense program PLUS it let me know if my Roger V2 licenses were installed on the aids.

Once I got that verified, I removed myRoger and myPhonak off my phone. I found myRoger especially LAME with what it actually allowed me to do. Couldn’t even read that a license was on a hearing aid.

Enjoying your updates with the Sphere tho!

2 Likes