My Phonak Sphere Infinio I90 vs Lumity L90 Shootout

My beef I have right now with my Sphere 90’s is BT connectivity. If I walk out of range, they wont reconnect, pull out of charger, wont reconnect. I always have to manually reconnect them. Its pretty annoying.

My 90’s, I’m going 2 days on a single charge, but I doubt Sphere Mode is even coming on.

2 Likes

Make sure you don’t have more than 2 bluetooth devices turned on at the same time. I have had zero Bluetooth issues with both Lumity and Sphere by turning off Bluetooth on devices when I am not using a device. The only thing I keep on all the time is my iPhone. If there are more two bluetooth devices turned on one of the devices you accidentally left on may be grabbing the bluetooth connection and that is why you can’t connect (it’s connected to something else in the house).

Jordan

9 Likes

nope, not the case. Only device active with BT is my HA’s. Verified in connections

Samsung S20

You misunderstood. How many Bluetooth devices did you connect your Sphere hearing aids to? iPhone, iPad, Laptop, TV, etc. You can pair up to 8 devices but you cannot have more than two connected at the same time. Trick is to turn Bluetooth on these devices off when not streaming to your hearing aids.

Jordan

1 Like

They are only paired to my phone, thats it

@jeffpa
I suppose you have this re connection not enabled in your Target! As shown on the photo.

2 Likes

NO. Background noise is dampened and speech enhanced only as deemed “needed” by the AI in these aids. That can cut both ways … If it’s too aggressive, it’d be annoying, but if it works in a loud bar or restaurant … well, that’s the HOLY GRAIL we all seek.

2 Likes

I have found that to be the case even for quality of sound when streaming. If my cell phone is open (always with BT activated) and I’m streaming via the old Phonak TV Connector or the newer Roger ON iN, the sound quality is pretty horrid. It’s like there’s some kind of interference or signal competition with the BT streaming and proximity of my phone.

It’s a bit of a prob cuz I get texts all day and night about things that need doing, but if that phone is next to me streaming TV, the audio is AWFUL. :expressionless:

1 Like

Finished my second full day (yesterday) wearing Sphere. Here is what the app tracked:

• Wearing Time: 15 hours, 31 minutes
  • Streaming time: 3 hours 19 minutes
  • Battery Life left before charging them for the night: 64%
  • Use of Spheric noise reduction: 0 hours.

Basically confirms that I will get an estimated 30+ hours of battery life on days with no use of the Spheric AI noise reduction program. This is spectacular. I’m surprised none of the Social Media reviewers on YouTube mention this.

Tonight is the big Spheric AI noise reduction test in a bad restaurant. Heading over to our favourite Chicken Wing pub here in northern Toronto (Duff’s in Richmond Hill) for some beer and wings with friends. It’s the usual horrible restaurant/pub environment with lots of crowded tables close together, tiled floors, lots of glass windows, multiple TV screens with baseball and other sports blasting. Very curious to find out what happens. Looking forward to putting the Sphere’s to their first big test. If they pass Duff’s, I should be able to hear anywhere…haha.

Also attending a local committee meeting at City Hall just prior to beer and wings. I sit on a municipal committee and it will be interesting to see how well I hear during the public hearing. The room setup has me sitting at the front of a large room with the other committee members while residents get up to speak to us using a PA system, etc. Lumity does well with this but I’m curious to see if the Sphere’s provide an incremental improvement.

I will post my observations later tonight or tomorrow.

Jordan

14 Likes

Thanks so much for the updates! looking forward to the Duff’s update. Much appreciated!

3 Likes

OW two excellent tests to report back on: the City Hall meeting and the wing-fest at the pub.

You’re breakin’ my heart if you get 30 hours of Sphere use/day. I’m flabbergasted. I get 15, maybe 16 hrs MAX with just 2 hrs of TV streaming at night using my Phonak Lumity Life rechargeables.

I wonder if you’ll ever need a Roger ANYTHING any more? Let us know.

4 Likes

But I would like to understand, beyond the good battery life and the noise reduction of Sphere AI that you will have the opportunity to test this evening, for the rest is Infinio better than Lumity or do you not notice any big differences?

2 Likes

Very good question. After three days of use, I would say Autosense 6.0 is slightly better than Lumity. Slightly more aware, Slightly smoother. Definitely faster. That being said, the Spheric noise reduction (if it passes the Duff’s test tonight), longer battery, better bluetooth and the battery pack in the charger are major upgrades.

Upgrading from Lumity to the new non Sphere Infinio would be less compelling until Auracast is rolled out with a firmware update. Upgrading from Marvel or Paradise to a non Sphere Infinio does make sense.

Just my 2 cents.

Jordan

11 Likes

At Duff’s doing the Spheric noise reduction torture test.

HOLY SHITE! It really works!!

I’m speechless…

Jordan

21 Likes

Just got home from the Duff’s restaurant torture test and I thought I would post a bit more.

Long story short…the Spheric AI noise reduction really works. It’s quite incredible. I was sitting at a table of six in a noisy restaurant and I could hear everything everyone at the table saying. Even stranger, a couple of times during the noisy conversation, I could hear what the person across the table was saying but they (a person with normal hearing) kept asking me to repeat what I said. Crazy but true. It’s absolutely crazy.

There are a few downsides. First one is that the Spheric program CHEWS BATTERY LIFE. I entered the restaurant at 7:30 pm and my battery was at 71%. I left the restaurant about two hours later and my battery was at 49%. Basically chewed through 22% of the battery life in just under two hours. Second downside is the noise reduction is a bit disorienting at first. Background noise is really wonky at times and it takes a bit to get used to it. The other thing is that the sound seems to oscillate between the left and right hearing aids as loud voices and sounds occur on each side of you. That being said, speech is crazy clear and it doesn’t matter where the speech is coming from. It truly was game changing for me. I wouldn’t mind hearing from someone else that is trialing these hearing aids to see if they experienced the same thing. This is the real deal folks but you do have to use the Spheric program sparingly.

IMHO, this solves one of the biggest issues all of us hearing impaired people have. Getting back our confidence and ability to communicate in noisy places.

Please don’t take my word for it. Try it yourself and see.

Jordan

33 Likes

I dont know since I cant read German :slight_smile:

It can be automatic, manual, or manual after notification.

WH

2 Likes

@jeffpa sorry it is Dutch, but I attached now the English translation for you.

2 Likes

I have everything set to Manual + beep now, inc Roger & TV Connector, and have disabled Autosense.

If I were to buy Sphere, I’d just have 3 manual programmes:
Calm Situation (noise reduction removed)
Speech in Loud Noise (Sphere)
Music (with enhanced bass)

I could then control the times I need Sphere, preserving battery, and avoiding some of the strange effects. I’m sure they are excellent, but I’m still getting decent Speech in Noise results with Marvel M70.
Peter

2 Likes

Thought I would post a Saturday morning update…

After being blown away by the Spheric AI noise reduction at restaurant on Thursday night, I have since tested the Sphere hearing aids in a number of other situations and they have performed well.

I serve on a municipal council for my city and the hearing aids managed well during the public hearing on Thursday night (before the restaurant). In this scenario I was a committee member at the front of the room listening to residents make public deputations using a microphone with a PA system. This is the typical wedding or lecture scenario where you are sitting in a big room with someone talking on a PA system. Lots of echo and the sound coming out of multiple speaker locations. It wasn’t perfect but it was similar to Lumity and I could understand all the people speaking.

I took my ebike for a one hour ride along a local trail through a wooded area. One of my beefs with Lumity is that the wind block feature works well with light wind but when you are riding on a bicycle at higher speeds with lots of wind, the wind block feature gets overwhelmed. I did note a similar performance with the new Sphere hearing aids. Perhaps my audiologist can adjust this in Target to make the Windblock more aggressive. I will ask during my next visit.

Last night we invited a few other couples over for dinner to celebrate my wife’s birthday. It wasn’t loud enough to invoke the Spheric noise reduction program but the Sphere’s handled the various conversations going on around the dinner table quite well. I would say this was similar to Lumity or slightly better. I didn’t have any issues following conversations so all in all the hearing aids did the job.

I did have a few initial issues with connecting/reconnecting with Bluetooth on my Dell work laptop. I checked the Windows update to see if there were any Bluetooth driver updates for the laptop and it responded back saying everything was up to date. I then did a bit of research online and found a few posts from people who were having similar Bluetooth issues with the Dell laptop and Bluetooth headsets. The recommendation was to go to Dell’s support website and check for Bluetooth driver updates. Turns out that Windows Bluetooth drivers and Dell Bluetooth hardware/firmware drivers are two separate things. I downloaded and ran Dell’s update wizard and sure enough, there was a much more recent Bluetooth driver update. I downloaded and installed the Dell update and my issues went away.

Reflecting back over the last 5 days I would say the Infinio Sphere hearing aids are similar to Lumity or slightly better with the normal hearing functions. Where Sphere really shines is the combination of the Spheric AI noise reduction, significantly increased battery life and much improved Bluetooth performance. IMHO, these three things alone or game changing upgrades and justify the upgrade from Lumity L90 to Infinio Sphere I90. And let’s not forget the battery in the much improved charge case. Charging on the go is very useful plus the Sphere’s seem to sit much more firmly inside the case.

I still have to go back to the audiologist and get them tweaked a bit to improve voice clarity. Voices are clear when you are in a quiet room but as soon as you get a bit of noise (kitchen fan over the stove, kettle boiling, tap running, outdoor air conditioner switching on, etc), a bit of noise reduction kicks in and voices seem to lose clarity. I didn’t have this with Lumity so there must be something slightly different in the initial setup of the Sphere’s that is causing this (i.e. too much noise reduction, compression, frequency shifting…not sure). I will get my audiologist to sort this out during the next visit.

That’s today’s update.

Jordan

23 Likes