My Phonak Sphere Infinio I90 vs Lumity L90 Shootout

That is exactly what my audiologist said. He checked the performance specs of the M receivers for both Lumity and Sphere and then said they are identical. Yet when you look in Target at the fitting range for both Lumity and Sphere with M receivers installed (with identical double domes), there was definitely a difference. It’s definitely the peak clipping you described which I think includes both distortion and compression.

Jordan

2 Likes

Do you eat during streaming? Maybe jaw movement causes unsealing the earmolds. Put off HAs and put in fingers in ear canal 1 cm deep. Open mouth an close.

Speech in a car is for steady-state noise. So then the air ventilator is exactly the source of that.

AI kicks in only in Spheric Speech in Noise. I don’t see your audiogram which may help. Compare medium and high pitches in Sphere vs. Lumity, probably there is a difference.

Glad to hear. I thought it would require modification in Target software.

1 Like

It would be interesting to see your fitting curves. The amount of venting (and occlusion) can make a big difference.

Here’s my prospective fit for my right ear in Target given cShells with a large 3.1 to 4.5 mm vent with M-power receivers:

If I switch to a completely occluded fit with cShells, I have lots of headroom.

Don’t know if the amount of headroom needed with a Phonak aid is much different than a ReSound aid, but given my (limited) experience with ReSound, I think I should be fine as far as any clipping goes if I go with an occluded fit as I plan to for noise reduction purposes. I’m using Phonak’s APD 3.0 fitting algorithm.

No I don’t eat while streaming. Once I push the ear mold in, feedbacks are gone, but these are similar mold as previous, not sure why has feedbacks while streaming with new aids.

I have been with same Audiologist for over 10 years and was never provided a copy of audiogram. Since I joined this forum last year, I realized that I can ask for a copy. But since I just started trying the new hearing aids, I may wait till later. I don’t want her to feel that I have intention to leave. I will ask my Audiologist to compare the settings of Lumity and Sphere in speech in Car. Thanks.

1 Like

This is exactly what I was seeing with the Sphere’s using M receivers except the red line was touching the black one from 250 to 500. With Lumity, it looked more like the second diagram. Changing over to P receivers raised that black line.

Jordan

1 Like

That’s really interesting as I have really struggled to get clarity from my Paradise or Sphere hearing aids. I am currently trialling the spheres and below is my gain curve from Target for my right ear with cshell with 1mm vent and UP receivers.

So I dont get the gain I should get above 4KHz. I have overtuned the right HA to give me some more headroom so as to get some more gain for soft sounds above 4KHz.

I don’t know if there is any other way to help here. Maybe I need to go fully occluded in that ear? I will ask the audiologist at my next appointment.

@DaveUK. If you’re using Target, you could always make the fit fully occluded and see what it does for you. It helps others understand and compare if you also mention what fitting algorithm you’re using. Your fit doesn’t seem to fall off at the high frequencies as much as the Phonak APD 3.0 algorithm I used for the graphs I posted. When I tried NAL-NL2, which I like, my fit maintained more high frequency amplification than APD 3.0.

“With my current Audeo Marvel devices, I’m having a hard time understanding speech in rooms with a lot of echo. It gets even more difficult with different accents. Would the Sphere help me in this situation? Will I still experience the echo, and will it improve my ability to understand speech better?

how do I tell whether mine is an M or P? I see a red band 3M is all I see

That’s an M receiver size 3 I believe.

Jordan

1 Like

Does my audiogram indicate an M receiver is the best for me???

TYIA

Generally - yes. You can overlap your audiogram on that fitting range of M receiver. I think you have comfortable headroom of potential gain.

1 Like

ty!!!

Ya never know when buying this online :slight_smile:

@Jeffpa, you could also have an S receiver… It may matter when you would want a deep earmold in narrow ear canal. Then such small receiver can fit inro the housing of earmold in its canal part.

Yeah, that was a thing I encountered with directhearing.com, too. Their online listing for the i90s was very vague and didn’t list what they came with. I had to get on the phone and ask. They only listed as accessories Phonak Marvel and Paradise receivers. When I was told either S or M receivers and a GoCharger came with the HA purchase (and a supply of all the kinds of domes Phonak offers, too). I asked how the heck I indicated what power receiver I wanted. I was told to add the choice to the Special Notes box, which I did, as well as adding my expectation that a GoCharger would be included in the purchase. But the Special Notes did not show up in any record of the purchase after I put the order through … Not so hot. Still waiting for the order to get shipped, but at least a Phonak TV Connector has been thrown in for free as part of a special deal going on now - wonder if it’s an open-box returned item? Hard to turn down “free.” The free TV Connector with i90 HAs sale is going on for the next six days.

I got varied domes, apparently an M receiver and the go charger. Plus the cerrustop(sp?)

I got the first batch of them available, so I wasn’t unhappy. Wouldnt the receiver need, be judged by the audiogram?

Yes, and as @Bimodal_user pointed out, either an S or M receiver would work for you. It’s nice to have an M receiver if your hearing worsens with time, as that gives you a little more room for further amplification if needed. I’m not familiar with Phonak receivers, but besides amplification power, there is the range of frequency response, % harmonic distortion, floor noise level in the absence of input, idle and active current, etc. I would think S and M receivers would be very similar in these characteristics. As you start to get up to P and UP receivers, you can no longer reproduce the very highest frequencies that S and M can, but often, this isn’t so important (easy to say with my ignorance) as a good number of folks who have severe or profound loss are very deficit in high-frequency response and would be likely to need frequency lowering to hear anything from that range (the real experts on the forum can correct my ignorance, AIA).

1 Like

@jim_lewis, my fitting was with APD Contrast 3.0. I’ll discuss NAl-NL2 with the audiologist later this week, although it’s not the MPO limit I am hitting but the feedback threshold at the higher frequencies. I guess the end result is the same - high frequency clipping. Thanks for suggestion.

Anyone an idea?
@JordanK or any others?

@gsl
I cannot talk for you…. But my experience between Marvel, Paradise and Sphere is a difference between night and day. These HA’s are not comparable. And I enjoy my Spheres every moment I use them. It would wonder me if someone would have another experience.

5 Likes