My first hearing aid - not what expected

I am using app called Smart 3D ReSound and there is only an option to turn on noise filter and it reduces like 3 dB, basically nothing. Yes, a very subtle difference, useless in noisy environments.

I don´t want to mention the city or audiologist, just suggesting that it is a different culture and different approach to patients here. Here older doctors have no patience with patients and questions are usually frowned upon. They cut bones, sew wounds together perfectly, they have all the latest technology to monitor your hearth, but then decide what shall be done without discussing anything with a patient. The new generation of doctors are very different, very kind and willing to answer questions. My audiologist is supposed to be the best in our country, so there…

Yes I get what your saying here, but the App is nothing compared to the ReSound SmartFit software, which is where the additional adjustments need to be done “first” get this right here and the App can make meaningful changes, otherwise it’s pointless.

@user38: So, in a nutshell, are you saying that the patient/audiologist relationship that we are suggesting is imperative to a good fitting is unattainable by you?

1 Like

Yes, the audiologist worked on the SmartFit, I was watching her setting up the device, and then I installed Smart 3D and she explained how to use it. A while ago I went to ReSound local website and they show in a video that you can set up Noise Reduction in the Smart 3D software, but it is missing in my app. I cannot set up noise reduction level at all. So you think it makes sense that ReSound Key 4 cannot play higher frequencies without distortion? Then I would definitely go for something higher in their model range.

As I cannot judge what good fitting is, I cannot know. I suppose they have no problem with typical people with hearing loss and the patients are happy. But I want my rainsticks sound natural without distortion, want my noise reduction working and want to hear things above 6000 Hz. I am afraid they have never had such an annoying patient. I have always been a sound freak. I hate listening to “wrong” sounds even when riding my bicycle. Or driving my car. So I won´t pay 800 US dollars (equivalent of what I paid in our currancy) for a pair of buds that cannot handle the sound of rain sticks.

@user38: So, the answer to my question seems to be “No”, but it really isn’t about a Central European country - it’s about you and your personal expectations, correct?

This is a hard nut to crack, since nobody can dictate to you what your expectations should be - they can only suggest whether they are reasonable, or not.

1 Like

Only if it’s turned on in the software, looking at the features on SmartFit the key 4 is extremely basic in this regard, it’s ether on or mild, waste of time there, as is noise tracker ll (reduction) it’s ether on or off, adjustments can only be made in 3 or 6 handles, upto as you say 6000Hz! So you gotta dump those keys, your obviously looking for “More” you won’t get any satisfaction with these.
You want 8000Hz or higher you’ll need premium models, any other brand where you can get a decent trial period so you can work out what works for you, it’s that simple.

1 Like

Usually the country is helpful for us who are trying to help from elsewhere.

Thank you for your amazing abitity to understand from my confusing comments what my problem is. So I had wildly guessed there is something wrong with the hearing aid and the “wrong” is that they are too basic. I thought number of channels with Key 4 should be sufficient - 12 channels, but where are those 12 channels shown in the software above? So I am thinking Phonak paradise Audeo P30 312, 12 channels, if they are really 12 channels available to set up in the sofware.

Prague, the Czech Republic.

1 Like

Channels and bands/handles are two different things, you do have 12 channels but only 6 bands to make adjustments, 12 channels is enough, some Signia models have 48 it’s all numbers marketing hype.

Here’s a quick read

You’re going to need to give yourself some time for your brain to acclimate itself to a whole host of new sounds that it wasn’t used to. After a while you will get used to how you, and those around you, sound. Don’t give up.

1 Like

Sure doesn’t sound like the best audiologist, or even a good one. You might be better off learning to DIY program. Also sounds like you need higher level aids. Searching the archives of this forum may be helpful periodically as questions arise for you. Lots of good info here.

Good luck.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I needed to read. Now I understand. And I definitely need something that can play back sounds around 10 000 Hz without distortion and something that can amplify sounds at 8000 Hz at least. So from your feedback it is clear to me now, that for some very strange reason, the audiologist, although she could clearly see from my audiogram, that my main loss is above 6000 Hz, she should prescribe more advanced, more capable hearing aids, I told her I was ready to pay much more. But I think her approach is - you will hear the ending of words better, which will help you as a teacher, and also can play back pink noise at the background to do retraining tinnitus therapy. The detail she did not expect was that I know exactly what I want to hear and what I don’t want to hear and I am sure that with more bands and higher frequency range the hearing aids that will amplify mainly the sound of insects, water streams or in the city all kinds of sssss and ssssssh and ringing sounds and won’t necessarily amplify mid range sounds, let alone the low band. As for the pink noise, not even that could the Key 4 handle without distortion! I am also using an application called MyNoise and there are lots of natural sounds at frequencies about 8000 Hz and it sounds horribly distorted through Key 4. I wonder that nobody mentions something like that in reviews or introductions to basic hearing aids. If you know what rain sticks are, no, Key 4 cannot handle that frequency.

So I managed to get my audiogram today and copied the results to the charts here so everyone can check my audiogram here. As you can see, I have the biggest lost at 8000 Hz so I would expect to benefit from hearing aids that are capable of working at that frequency, both as sound reproduction device and hearing aids. I returned the hearing aids today and will get my money back soon. I will try Phonak next time.

You know now that hearing aids assist but do not replace normal hearing. It may take several trips to the audiologist to get them as close to real hearing as they can be. Also, your brain has to get use to them. I would not suffer trying to wear hearing aids the are making me very uncomfortable. Wear them some and note whether they are too loud or too soft. Are they tinny sounding, dull sounding or something else. Convey this to the audiologist so they can adjust you programming accordingly. It is a science but not an exact science. I have returned several hearing aids over the years so don’t be adverse to trying another brand of hearing aid if this doesn’t work out but you are a little early in the process for that. Advocate for yourself if something feels off a lot. If the hearing aids are too loud then ask them to turn them down a little until you are ready to turn them up a little more in the future, once you have adapted.

2 Likes

When I got my first basic aids I felt the sound was strange. When I got my first high spec aids the new sound seemed bright and brittle. Once you are used to the new sound of your aids you will get used to hearing more normally.

There will be two things you, and those talking to you, must know. You will hear much better with people talking in front of you. You will hear better when you can see them talking. You will be lip reading even if you don’t know it. At the very least you SEE they are talking so you will HEAR them.

2 Likes